Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?

Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?

Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

GUFF will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Cheers for the support

I lived in Leveson St, North Melbourne about 10 min walk from the Queen Vic Markets, 30 minutes from Bourke St/CBD.

Shared a large house with all kinds of oddballs. Kinda "No Questions Asked" place, had the police to my door twice

Look it up on Google Earth. Very good tram system in CBD area plus metro. You are only 45 mins from city to countryside.

St Kilda is a good spot, Carlton is nice. Maybe try the "update" section of the forum for a better idea of suburbs.

Some places look for a bond on the rental, which is in effect a deposit usually a couple of hundred to a thousand dollars.

Me. I'm single so anyplace with a good bed,shower and kitchen will suit

A tip is to get a YHA card for the year, hostel it for a while. The YHA in Queensberry st is $30 a night. You save about $5 a night with the card. Look around from there.

My plan is to do this until I find a decent location, then jobhunt. Also YHA are cleaned daily so little chance of bedbugs!!

Do not discount Perth, if you have family its a plus. There are lots of outdoor activities and a very chilled out vibe to the city.

There was lots of accountancy jobs but the mining industry has been hit so can't really comment on the current situation.

Melbourne suited me because of my musical leanings.

Check out both and see which suits you better. Jetstar fly between both for about $400 return.

When are you thinking of heading out?

Allright mate. Thinking of heading out October this year, won't go direct
to Oz as I want to spend a month or two in south america. (spending all my euro there may get my motivated to find a job in oz quickly!!)

Like yourself i'll be on my todd so will defintely plump for a hostel initially
not for too long, don't mind the bed bugs so much, its more of a case of being stuck in dorm with a couple of gap year chavs coming in pissed up at 3 o'clock in the morning when I have to get up early to do debits and credits !!!

I'm still fairly undecided between Melbourne and Sydney
so can see myself giving both a go.
Sydney has better beaches and weather apparently but Melbourne
is a more liveable city. Looking at the forums you can see all the pros and cons for each, but its amazing that people will even argue about which has better weather.

But at the end of the day its like any place, it is what you make it
and the people you meet there are more important than which city has
the best bars or beach etc. So ill probably toss a coin in the end
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GUFF
So ill probably toss a coin in the end
Probably not such a bad idea! Although you might find, as we did, that once you've been to both places, the answer is obvious. That said, we've only LIVED in one; I expect we'd have been happy wherever we ended up.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:52 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 38141
Are there any other places in melbourne where someone could camp before finding a longer term place?
http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...modation6.htm:)
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GUFF
I'm still fairly undecided between Melbourne and Sydney
so can see myself giving both a go.
Sydney has better beaches and weather apparently but Melbourne
is a more liveable city.
To date I would say Melbourne has been less affected than Sydney by the downturn. You could say Sydney was more financially geared

Melbourne has a variety of beaches from inner bayside to surf for advanced and intermediate/learner.

Work wise you will see both cities (even if based in Melbourne chances are you will see enough of Sydney to decide if thats the place for you).
Attached Thumbnails Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?-seaford-beach-pier.jpg   Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?-seaford-pier.jpg   Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?-beach.jpg   Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?-seaford-surf-club-cafe-overlooking-pier.jpg