Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Any ACCAS/FCCAS registered with Ca or Cpa australia?

Any ACCAS/FCCAS registered with Ca or Cpa australia?

Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

JohnJ is on a distinguished road
Default Any ACCAS/FCCAS registered with Ca or Cpa australia?

Hi folks, has anyone already made this jump. I am Acca, now Fcca qualified since 2001 and, despite asking Cpa australia a direct question, they won't give me a clear answer as to how many additional exams i'll have to complete to clear cpa. It seems you have to register then they'll tell you.
I've read mixed messages on here and elsewhere- some suggest the whole of the cpa programme needs to be completed, others only local tax and law.
By the way, i have a primary degree, but i think cpaa recently changed their rules to treat acca as equivalent to a primary degree. (gee, thanks, hetac in ireland assess it as equivalent to a masters!)
Any advice from those who have already gone down this road?
Thanks,
John
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any ACCAS/FCCAS registered with Ca or Cpa australia?

Bridging tax/law study normally plus the CPA Program (6 papers). Should be clear if you look at the CPA website.

Have you thought of doing CA instead?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Bridging tax/law study normally plus the CPA Program (6 papers). Should be clear if you look at the CPA website.

Have you thought of doing CA instead?
Hi JAJ,

Thanks for your response. I was hoping that there might be some exemptions but it looks like I have a fair bit of studying to do.

I have considered CA and was initially put off by the mentored experience requirements, which I'm still not fully clear on. I note that Irish CAs can sign off practical experience, but I think I remember reading that usually only one of the three years can be exempted on the basis of prior experience (I would have no difficulty getting three years signed off as I have eleven years (eight, post qualification) experience here in Ireland, all under Irish CAs. Am I right in understanding that I could therefore gain the CA qualification once I had all the exams passed and an additional two years local experience?
Reading posts on some other forums (fora?) suggest that the CPA qualification has lost some prestige in the Australian market compared to CA. Have you a view on this?

Many thanks

John

Last edited by JohnJ; Dec 3rd 2009 at 3:04 pm. Reason: Spelling!!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnJ
Hi JAJ,

Thanks for your response. I was hoping that there might be some exemptions but it looks like I have a fair bit of studying to do.
You can probably count it as continuing education ...

I have considered CA and was initially put off by the mentored experience requirements, which I'm still not fully clear on. I note that Irish CAs can sign off practical experience, but I think I remember reading that usually only one of the three years can be exempted on the basis of prior experience (I would have no difficulty getting three years signed off as I have eleven years (eight, post qualification) experience here in Ireland, all under Irish CAs. Am I right in understanding that I could therefore gain the CA qualification once I had all the exams passed and an additional two years local experience?
Reading posts on some other forums (fora?) suggest that the CPA qualification has lost some prestige in the Australian market compared to CA. Have you a view on this?
CA has always been more prestigious than CPA, however it's not a big difference and beyond a certain level, most employers won't care as long as you have something local that they understand.

I think you've noted the main difference between becoming CA and CPA - CPA is a "quicker" solution as you may be able to avoid the mentored experience requirement. Also, I think it's possible to do the CPA program by distance learning, that's not possible for the CA Program which requires interactive classroom participation as well as exams.

Last edited by JAJ; Dec 5th 2009 at 3:19 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:19 am
Just Joined

jafferyasim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks, has anyone already made this jump. I am Acca, now Fcca qualified since 2001 and, despite asking Cpa australia a direct question, they won't give me a clear answer as to how many additional exams i'll have to complete to clear cpa. It seems you have to register then they'll tell you.
I've read mixed messages on here and elsewhere- some suggest the whole of the cpa programme needs to be completed, others only local tax and law.
By the way, i have a primary degree, but i think cpaa recently changed their rules to treat acca as equivalent to a primary degree. (gee, thanks, hetac in ireland assess it as equivalent to a masters!)
Any advice from those who have already gone down this road?
Thanks,
John
I think going for CA is good choice
Old May 4th 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ

CA has always been more prestigious than CPA, however it's not a big difference and beyond a certain level, most employers won't care as long as you have something local that they understand.
Just to update...I registered with CPA Australia earlier this year and have just taken two segments this week...have to say quite honestly, compared to ACCA exams which I took ten years ago (when I was younger and found it easier to learn new things) the CPAA segments (which were both in subject areas not previously covered in my ACCA studies) were a joke- ridiculously easy.

Exams were open book, mostly multiple choice and to a large extent the sequence of the exam questions on the paper followed the chronological sequence of the study materials- while one obviously needed to spend time indexing and reviewing the study materials content, the level of understanding, critical analysis and problem solving (this last area, nil required) being asked of candidates would be more akin to UK and Irish technician level than professional level

All of which makes me mad, mostly with ACCA for their competitive stance in Australia, but also with CPA Australia and ICAA both of whom regard my ACCA qualification as worth nothing more than a regular degree.

I have no difficulty with completing bridging modules in areas like tax but I think ACCA deserves more respect...

So now, rant over...
Old May 15th 2010, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Just to update...I registered with CPA Australia earlier this year and have just taken two segments this week...have to say quite honestly, compared to ACCA exams which I took ten years ago (when I was younger and found it easier to learn new things) the CPAA segments (which were both in subject areas not previously covered in my ACCA studies) were a joke- ridiculously easy.

Exams were open book, mostly multiple choice and to a large extent the sequence of the exam questions on the paper followed the chronological sequence of the study materials- while one obviously needed to spend time indexing and reviewing the study materials content, the level of understanding, critical analysis and problem solving (this last area, nil required) being asked of candidates would be more akin to UK and Irish technician level than professional level

All of which makes me mad, mostly with ACCA for their competitive stance in Australia, but also with CPA Australia and ICAA both of whom regard my ACCA qualification as worth nothing more than a regular degree.

I have no difficulty with completing bridging modules in areas like tax but I think ACCA deserves more respect...

So now, rant over...
I completed ACCA 6 years ago, and currently going through my last module of CA. While CA is more challenging than CPA - have still found it much easier than ACCA.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:24 am
Just Joined

sasa110 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have appeared for my last 2 ACCA papers and hopefully if i pass (and become a member - training done), i shall register with CPAA immediately.

I have a question regarding the exam fees of CPAA - would be grateful if someone could shed some light:

they dont seem to have something specific like "exam fee per paper" like we've got in ACCA etc., but instead have "segment enrollment fee", which is 765 AUD per segment. there are 6 segments (another term for final/professional level papers) to be done.

Now, what if i fail one segment, do I pay the whole 765 AUD once again, or just an additional exam fees?

765 AUD - now that is a LOT of money!

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...ees-dates.html
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

There is a resit fee, I had a quick look in their members area but couldn't find it, I don't think it's anything like as dear as the original fee

I wouldn't worry too much, they're very easy, especially compared to ACCA.

I did about 12-15 hours study for each and got Distinction in both... multiple choice and open book makes it so easy once you have referenced the study materials thoroughly

Originally Posted by sasa110
I have appeared for my last 2 ACCA papers and hopefully if i pass (and become a member - training done), i shall register with CPAA immediately.

I have a question regarding the exam fees of CPAA - would be grateful if someone could shed some light:

they dont seem to have something specific like "exam fee per paper" like we've got in ACCA etc., but instead have "segment enrollment fee", which is 765 AUD per segment. there are 6 segments (another term for final/professional level papers) to be done.

Now, what if i fail one segment, do I pay the whole 765 AUD once again, or just an additional exam fees?

765 AUD - now that is a LOT of money!

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...ees-dates.html
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:14 am
Just Joined

sasa110 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a resit fee, I had a quick look in their members area but couldn't find it, I don't think it's anything like as dear as the original fee

I wouldn't worry too much, they're very easy, especially compared to ACCA.

I did about 12-15 hours study for each and got Distinction in both... multiple choice and open book makes it so easy once you have referenced the study materials thoroughly
wow, open book!?! 12-15 hours per paper/segment!?! ive spent hundreds of hours on my acca, and still can't seem to get past the finishing line!

On the resit fee: I was going through a CPAA pdf and it seems to suggest that if a segment is failed, the entire 765 or so AUD needs to be repaid to re-do the segment.

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...forms_S210.pdf

(page 19 of the pdf).
Re-enrolling in a segment
There is no limit to the number of times you may enrol in a particular segment.
If you fail a segment exam, cancel a segment enrolment or do not attend an exam and have not been granted an exam deferral, it is necessary to enrol in the segment again in a later semester and pay a new enrolment fee if you wish to continue with the segment.

now i definitely need to make sure i dont fail anything in cpaa!

A couple of more questions:

the first ones to johnj: john, the open book - do they allow you to carry your own books/notes etc. to the exam desk, or is it some summarized material/computer file that they give you during the exam and you can only refer to that?

Have you taken just the computer exams so far or taken one of the segments that have 30 marks written as well? What is the level of these written 30 marks? Monster case-studies? Open books allowed for these too?

the second one is a more general query on immigration. not posting on a separate thread since its related to ACCAs in general and fits this thread well:

the 1 year "Recent Work Experience" required for immigration :
(page 12) http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

will it be accepted if it's before a professional qualification (ie, ACCA etc) is obtained? Or does it have to be post-qualification only? I've got 3 years work-ex which ACCA seems to have accepted for its 3 year training requirement, but since I'm yet to qualify, I've got none that is post-qual.

and one more query on the points for english language ability/IELTS:

(page 28) http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

IELTS 7/7/7/7 score fetches 25 points on the immigration points calculator. which IELTS is it? general or academic?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

To those FCCA's who have gone down this route - is sitting 3 CPA exams in one sitting achievable?

I've been very much against converting to CPA but the opprtunity has come up to either convert or undertake the Company Directors Course with the Australian Institute of Company Directors - anyone got any experiance with this qual?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by louH
To those FCCA's who have gone down this route - is sitting 3 CPA exams in one sitting achievable?

It depends.

I've been very much against converting to CPA but the opprtunity has come up to either convert or undertake the Company Directors Course with the Australian Institute of Company Directors - anyone got any experiance with this qual?
I thought you need to be a senior executive with managerial responsibilities equivalent to those of an executive director or a member of local boards of advice of companies to qualify for AICD membership? If not, you take the exams and become a graduate member?

Have a look here;

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/M...types-and-fees

My colleague undertook the Chartered Secretary exam (ICSA), doubles up as the FC and Company Secretary and was able to join AICD without sitting any exams.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louH

Perfectly achievable, though maybe not with working full time at the same time, I have done two exams at several sittings without too much stress and got distinctions and credit.... advanced tax is quite a long one so think about picking an easy one to go in the same semester, maybe ethics and governance which is really easy
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

August Moon is an unknown quantity at this point

So now, rant over...
Hi John
I am an ACCA as well. I got my visa granted in March and planning to move there in 2012. Can I register with CPA before I finished Bridging paper tax and law. Do you think I can take the CPA exam from UK.

Thanks
Moon
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:23 am
Just Joined

sgsenja is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JOE2010
I completed ACCA 6 years ago, and currently going through my last module of CA. While CA is more challenging than CPA - have still found it much easier than ACCA.
Hi, to those who enrolled into Australia CA based on ACCA qualification and full ACCA membership:

May I know whether or not you were told to pay AUD350 to ICAA to get the standard assessment on ACCA qualification done?

I was told by the customer transactions team that ACCA is overseas qualification, that's why I have to do so, notwithstanding that I'm a FCCA.

However, I noted from the ICAA's website that ACCA is considered a partially recognised qualification and therefore, no pre-assessment is needed.

While waiting for the customer transaction team to clarify the above, I'd like to find out from your experience.

Thank you.

Regards
Percy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.