Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Any ACCA member in U.K? Need advise on applying to UK university

Any ACCA member in U.K? Need advise on applying to UK university

Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Biogentic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any ACCA member in U.K? Need advise on applying to UK university

Hi, i am a final year ACCA student in Singapore. I need clear advice on getting further academic qualifications to reach my career goal of being a financial controller.

I have the intent to study for a MBA in a good u.k university in the future but is unclear of the receptivity of ACCA qualification for the application. Thus, i plan to do a distance learning Bachelor in Management from Uni of Manchester in Singapore before applying for any MBA program in the U.K. I hope by doing this, it would strengthen my position and i will not be disadvantaged in selection. The next question arises is can a distance learning bachelor degree apply for UK MBA coupled with full ACCA membership?

Although i am clear as to what future steps i need to take, but i am still quite confuse how does a bachelor in management degree fits well to a financial controller? or is it better off to equip myself with a master of applied finance assuming ACCA member has not much of a problem in applying MBA in U.K?

Any criticisms, opinions, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. sorry for posting irrelevant thread but i cant find anyone more suitable than acca member based in uk to answer my quandary. thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any ACCA member in U.K? Need advise on applying to UK university

You come across as being very confused and indeed I am struggling to really make sense of the logic behind your plan and what your objective is and can only comment on the various facts you have stated, so...

You do not need to have an MBA to be a financial controller, most accountants do not have an MBA.

If your aim is to gain an MBA, then you do not need to have a first degree (my sister obtained an MBA a couple of years ago and she does not have a bachelor degree) and you certainly do not need to have an accountancy qualification.

If you are already a qualified ACCA, then I see no need to supplement this with other qualifications to succeed as a financial controller. What you really need is the work experience. Nobody is going to make financial controller with an armful of qualifications but no practical experience. This is what you need to focus on now.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:00 am
Just Joined

yes a financial controller may not need a MBA but you see singapore society is very particular about paper qualification, if you are just a qualified accountant, you are not going to have an edge over others who maybe vying the same position as you. especially with the large influx of foreigners in my country, qualification is even more important, it raise the standard of competition.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:39 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Biogentic
yes a financial controller may not need a MBA but you see singapore society is very particular about paper qualification, if you are just a qualified accountant, you are not going to have an edge over others who maybe vying the same position as you. especially with the large influx of foreigners in my country, qualification is even more important, it raise the standard of competition.
Whether you require an MBA or not depends on the place you are in. In the US for example, if you wish to proceed beyond the post of a senior accountant, most employers would expect you to have an MBA. However, this is not so in the case of places like the UK or Oz where specific industry experience is regarded as more important.

You don't require a bachelor's degree to do a UK MBA. Your ACCA will be good enough.

In any case, have you consdered other places outside of Singapore like US, UK, Oz or Canada? Accountants are in demand in these places.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

hi thanks for your advice, but i have no intention working outside my country.
I have another question:
would u think doing a master of applied finance before my MBA or a Management Bachelor degree is better?

How hard is it to enter MBA program in Southampton university, Durham University, cardiff university, Cranfield university or ashridge? Anyone has any idea? I hope to arm myself with good experience + another degree on top of ACCA before i start applying to any U.K university.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:20 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Biogentic
hi thanks for your advice, but i have no intention working outside my country.
I have another question:
would u think doing a master of applied finance before my MBA or a Management Bachelor degree is better?

How hard is it to enter MBA program in Southampton university, Durham University, cardiff university, Cranfield university or ashridge? Anyone has any idea? I hope to arm myself with good experience + another degree on top of ACCA before i start applying to any U.K university.
It's very unlikely that you'd require any other degree other than your ACCA if you are applying for a UK MBA.