Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Advice please? When to look for a Job in Oz!

Advice please? When to look for a Job in Oz!

Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Jersey Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Advice please? When to look for a Job in Oz!

Hi, need some general advice on finding an accounting job in Australia - Melbourne. Already have a 136 visa and will arrive in Melbourne at the end of August. I am a CA with 10 years experiences in Audit and UK Financial Services (Banking).

When do you start looking for a job, now or do you wait until you there? I was planning to be in Melbourne for possible interviews at the end of June, but it seems alot of money to spend to meet with agents only?

I have spoken to a few people and they all say I would not have a problem finding a job, but I guess I'm having pre-immigration jitters. Any suggestions or experiences will be very helpful?

Last edited by Jersey Boy; Jun 1st 2008 at 12:52 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice please? When to look for a Job in Oz!

Feedback I have is that you can safely register once you are in Melbourne with some of the agencies and you should have something within 'weeks' (as opposed to months).
You can do searches at http://www.careerone.com.au and http://www.seek.com.au and you will see literally hundreds of accounting jobs.

The agencies are all the usual suspects you'll probably be familiar with from the UK eg Robert Half, Robert Walters, Hays, Michael Page and several others.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

joey847 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jersey Boy
Hi, need some general advice on finding an accounting job in Australia - Melbourne. Already have a 136 visa and will arrive in Melbourne at the end of August. I am a CA with 10 years experiences in Audit and UK Financial Services (Banking).

When do you start looking for a job, now or do you wait until you there? I was planning to be in Melbourne for possible interviews at the end of June, but it seems alot of money to spend to meet with agents only?

I have spoken to a few people and they all say I would not have a problem finding a job, but I guess I'm having pre-immigration jitters. Any suggestions or experiences will be very helpful?
Hi!!!!

I am in the same situation than you except that I will come over in october.
I have a 175 visa.
I think I will send my CV in some agencies like Hays or Robert Walters.
But I don't think they will find me something from Europe.
But it will not kill me to try!
Keep us informed if you get a job from Europe!

Bye

Sophie
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Jersey Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. I have also been speaking to a few agents last few weeks and general feeling is that you should actively start looking a month before you arrive. I will keep you posted. Jersey Boy
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:35 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jersey Boy

Send me your CV

PM sent with contact details