Accounting in Canada

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:28 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
KUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really nice
Default Accounting in Canada

Hello people.

Just want to find out from others what the current jobs market in Canada is like.
I'm a UK citizen with a bachelors degree in Business & Finance and have about 8-10 years experience in management accounting but am not qualified. I've also managed and let a team within finance. I'm in the process of getting my perm residency based on the skills points system. Looking at the eastern side of Canada - Toronto, Montreal and Nova Scotia.
Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kunal
KUNAL1975 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:26 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,030
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accounting in Canada

Originally Posted by KUNAL1975
I'm in the process of getting my perm residency based on the skills points system.
Just checking, but you are aware that Accountants and Financial Managers are no longer on the list of eligible occupations for Skilled Worker visas? So you'd need a job offer as well as at least 67 points to qualify now.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 8:25 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
KUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really nice
Default Re: Accounting in Canada

Hi Christmasoompa.

I'm applying for next years listing as I understand the current one is full and the 20,000 quota under 'business services' has already been filled. Please let me know if this is different. Thanks.
KUNAL1975 is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 6:23 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
jenniferr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accounting in Canada

Does anyone know anything about applying under "Business Services" for Canada?

I am a qualified accountant working as a finance director, but I am also in charge of IT & HR, and do marketing & advertising and I am wondering if I can apply under this code or whether they will just take one look at my application and say that I am an accountant trying to fit in to another category?
jenniferr is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 7:01 pm
  #5  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,030
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accounting in Canada

Originally Posted by jenniferr
Does anyone know anything about applying under "Business Services" for Canada?

I am a qualified accountant working as a finance director, but I am also in charge of IT & HR, and do marketing & advertising and I am wondering if I can apply under this code or whether they will just take one look at my application and say that I am an accountant trying to fit in to another category?
You are aware that the quota for this NOC code is full? So you couldn't apply now anyway.

I doubt you'd fit in to that category as it's only for management consultants etc. But only you know if you do the duties listed under that NOC code and meet the criteria.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:03 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
KUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really niceKUNAL1975 is just really nice
Default Re: Accounting in Canada

Could someone please tell me when the new NOC list for 2011 is likely to be released?

Thank you.
KUNAL1975 is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:05 pm
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,030
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accounting in Canada

Originally Posted by KUNAL1975
Could someone please tell me when the new NOC list for 2011 is likely to be released?

Thank you.
Nobody knows, it may be changed prior to the new quota year on 1st July, but it may not change at all and stay the same (the last list was in effect for 2 years).
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:53 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 52
Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accounting in Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just checking, but you are aware that Accountants and Financial Managers are no longer on the list of eligible occupations for Skilled Worker visas? So you'd need a job offer as well as at least 67 points to qualify now.

Good luck.
Hey there,

Just have a query. I'm an accountant also and am going down the CEC route. I have a friend who is also an accountant (albeit he is not qualified) but he applied under the old rules in 2007. Would the removal of accountants from the list affect him?

Many Thnks
Checkmate is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:59 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
AlanCA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accounting in Canada

Originally Posted by KUNAL1975
Hello people.

Just want to find out from others what the current jobs market in Canada is like.
I'm a UK citizen with a bachelors degree in Business & Finance and have about 8-10 years experience in management accounting but am not qualified. I've also managed and let a team within finance. I'm in the process of getting my perm residency based on the skills points system. Looking at the eastern side of Canada - Toronto, Montreal and Nova Scotia.
Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kunal
Toronto and Montreal (if you know French) are the best places to look for work. Good luck!
AlanCA is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.