Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

UK CA in USA - how easy is the CPA???!

UK CA in USA - how easy is the CPA???!

Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Rob73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK CA in USA - how easy is the CPA???!

I've just transferred to the US firm of the Big4 I worked for in the UK.

I wondered whether anyone out there has gone through both the UK Chartered Accountancy process and the CPA and can offer any guidance on the relative ease of the CPA.

While I'm keen to progress my career in the US, I also have a young family and a new country to explore so do not want to spend every weekend for a year studying.

It appears that without an accountancy based degree (mine is economics) I'll have to do some post grad accountancy courses and the CPA exams themselves. With both ICAS and CIOT under my belt and five years UK work experience, how easy am I likely to find CPA?

Thanks for your views.

Rob
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK CA in USA - how easy is the CPA???!

The US CPA is fairly easy compared to most accounting designations. I takes the average accounting graduate 6 months to prepare for the exam. In your case it will take way less.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the question : do you need to be a CPA in the same state as you work, or will being a CPA in any state do?

Depending on the answer you may have more flexibility with the education requirement required to take the CPA exam.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Rob73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear JAJ and Blendin

Many thanks for your helpful responses. I have to be licensed in Florida to comply with my firm's rules, so will have to contact the Florida board to see how to deal with the educational requirement - hopefully the ICAS qualification will be recognised as at least equivalent to an accounting degree, allowing me direct access to the CPA exam.

Thanks again

Rob
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob73
Dear JAJ and Blendin

Many thanks for your helpful responses. I have to be licensed in Florida to comply with my firm's rules, so will have to contact the Florida board to see how to deal with the educational requirement - hopefully the ICAS qualification will be recognised as at least equivalent to an accounting degree, allowing me direct access to the CPA exam.

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/cpa/licensure.html

"150 hours" means that you need to have the equivalent of a US bachelors degree + 1 extra year. If you have a degree as well as your Scottish CA you might have more chances.

Perhaps also contact http://www.acaus.org/ and see if they can help.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Adeelkhan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jaj,

Is someone have Degree of OBU and ACCA, can he/she sit US-CPA exams? Is this degree from OBU is accepted by US-CPA?
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Adeelkhan
Hi Jaj,

Is someone have Degree of OBU and ACCA, can he/she sit US-CPA exams? Is this degree from OBU is accepted by US-CPA?
No such thing as "US-CPA". Depends on what each of the 55 state/territory boards and their credential evaluators think of it.