ACCA in the US

Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

MouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to all
Default ACCA in the US

I know everyone will say how almost impossible this is, but I just thought I would ask after doing further research.
We have been looking at the ACCA website and there's a page where they advise about working in the US. Apparently some states may accept it as being equivalent to an undergrad degree.
And there are 35 states which allow an application from someone with an overseas qualification.

Unfortunately all states have their own way of handling applications. I looked at the MRAs but UK is not on the list, but if you are from Ireland and have the Irish Certification you can sit the IQEX.

Based on the info that I found, I suppose you can do the CPA exams as they say that you have to get your foreign credentials evaluated first before they can allow you to sit the CPA. Another thing, ACCA can actually send you an equivalence letter showing Bachelor's degree and/or Masters depending on the exams you have done.

So, if all this is possible - would it be easier to secure a job in the state you have applied to? What type of visa would you be able to apply for? I looked at H1B and it seems almost impossible because of the cap. I am assuming an EB3 visa would be appropriate?

If anyone has made a move to the US as an accountant, please advise.
I know the current job/financial climate does not really allow for securing a job easily i.e many highly qulified people are jobless, however we would like to try.

Someone mentioned colorado before (still looking into that). Please advise.
Australia might be easier, however it's too far from the UK and we are not really interested in Australia / Canada unless we can use it as a stepping stone to get to the US.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

MouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to all
Default Re: ACCA in the US

mmmm just thinking - I'm assuming the employer would still need to convince immigration that they cannot find another person to fill the vacancy . . . .
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As discussed on another thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586822

Even if you manage to get your CPA, how would you get an employer to sponsor you for a working visa (hard) and if you got past this, a green card (usually much harder).

The only relatively straightforward way into the United States (other than marriage) is a transfer as a multinational executive/manager.

Have you considered somewhere in Europe? Switzerland is supposed to be nice, for example.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:31 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MouseyCat
I know everyone will say how almost impossible this is, but I just thought I would ask after doing further research.
We have been looking at the ACCA website and there's a page where they advise about working in the US. Apparently some states may accept it as being equivalent to an undergrad degree.
And there are 35 states which allow an application from someone with an overseas qualification.

Unfortunately all states have their own way of handling applications. I looked at the MRAs but UK is not on the list, but if you are from Ireland and have the Irish Certification you can sit the IQEX.

Based on the info that I found, I suppose you can do the CPA exams as they say that you have to get your foreign credentials evaluated first before they can allow you to sit the CPA. Another thing, ACCA can actually send you an equivalence letter showing Bachelor's degree and/or Masters depending on the exams you have done.

So, if all this is possible - would it be easier to secure a job in the state you have applied to? What type of visa would you be able to apply for? I looked at H1B and it seems almost impossible because of the cap. I am assuming an EB3 visa would be appropriate?

If anyone has made a move to the US as an accountant, please advise.
I know the current job/financial climate does not really allow for securing a job easily i.e many highly qulified people are jobless, however we would like to try.

Someone mentioned colorado before (still looking into that). Please advise.
Australia might be easier, however it's too far from the UK and we are not really interested in Australia / Canada unless we can use it as a stepping stone to get to the US.
ACCA is totally unheard of in the US, and the letter from them showing Bachelors/Masters degree means nothing to potential employers as its not from a recognised US school/uni.

I am CIMA and moved to LA through my husbands job, I applied for literally hundreds of jobs, (lots of which require an application form to be completed asking which school you got your degree). In the 6 months of applying for jobs I had 1 rejection email and 2 interviews.

I was offered a job from both interviews, so obviously once I could get face to face with people and explain what it was, it all was ok.

Temping agencies told me I was over qualified to temp, average pay for a Financial Analyst temping was $15. Most companies don't use recruitment agencies so you can't explain ACCA to a recruiter and get them to do the work of selling you like they do in the UK.

Good luck, I hope you manage to get to the States but I doubt you will manage it through this route.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
ACCA is totally unheard of in the US, and the letter from them showing Bachelors/Masters degree means nothing to potential employers as its not from a recognised US school/uni.

I am CIMA and moved to LA through my husbands job, I applied for literally hundreds of jobs, (lots of which require an application form to be completed asking which school you got your degree). In the 6 months of applying for jobs I had 1 rejection email and 2 interviews.

I was offered a job from both interviews, so obviously once I could get face to face with people and explain what it was, it all was ok.

Temping agencies told me I was over qualified to temp, average pay for a Financial Analyst temping was $15. Most companies don't use recruitment agencies so you can't explain ACCA to a recruiter and get them to do the work of selling you like they do in the UK.
A credential evaluator (member of NACES - http://www.naces.org) may be able to explain your qualifications in an acceptable format.

However if serious about professional level employment you need a local qualification - U.S. CPA and/or CMA - most employers don't know (and don't want to know) anything about foreign qualifications.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:48 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A credential evaluator (member of NACES - http://www.naces.org) may be able to explain your qualifications in an acceptable format.

However if serious about professional level employment you need a local qualification - U.S. CPA and/or CMA - most employers don't know (and don't want to know) anything about foreign qualifications.
I looked at this route too, it still doesn't get away from one of the most common questions on US application forms. What school did you get your degree from.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:58 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by N1cky
I looked at this route too, it still doesn't get away from one of the most common questions on US application forms. What school did you get your degree from.
If it is a foreign professional education assessed by a U.S. agency as comparable to a U.S. bachelors degree, you've no option but to tell the truth and hope for the best.

Should be less of an issue if you have a local qualification on top.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:26 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
As discussed on another thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586822

Even if you manage to get your CPA, how would you get an employer to sponsor you for a working visa (hard) and if you got past this, a green card (usually much harder).

The only relatively straightforward way into the United States (other than marriage) is a transfer as a multinational executive/manager.

Have you considered somewhere in Europe? Switzerland is supposed to be nice, for example.
Jeremy is quite right. It is not really easy to get into the US even if you do have a CPA. 98% of the employers would not want to sponsor you for a H1B visa, I mean, why would an employer hire you rather than a US resident/ citizen? The only way to get to the US like suggested by Jeremy would be to get a multinational to transfer you. Either that or if you have some good contacts like friends or relatives willing to hire you and sponsor you for a H1B, then no worries but even then, the PR process can take up to 7 years or more and citizenship, another 5-6 years. Its for this very reason that I moved to Oz instead of the US even though I have a US CPA qualification.