ACCA or CPA "each country"?

Old Aug 30th 2014, 3:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA or CPA "each country"?

Threads merged, to save people retyping their previous info !
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Gavilon18 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are currently auditing for Deloitte then I'm surprised that they recommended CIMA - this is a route for accountants within industry, not practice and is very much a management accountant route.

Auditors will typically follow ACCA or ACA, those from 'big 4' typically ACA.

As to which is best, depends on who you ask - I'm ACA so will say ACA is best, those with ACCA/CIMA qualifications will say theirs is best. Snobbery possibly puts ACA in more demand (due to the 'big 4' connection) but thats really a load of nonsense and they are all better in some ways and weaker in others - I don't think there is one that is better overall. This only really goes for the UK though as they are UK qualifications.

I'll echo the earlier advise - get the qualification from your own country and build a strong portfolio of experience. This will be 100% more valuable than a piece of paper from another country.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

C.Accountant is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I miss understood them. They told me CIMA is good but the told me to choose between ACCA and ACA only. So what I should take. What is the deference between these two?

and my country doesn't have its own qualifications they only accept American CPA and British qualifications
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.Accountant
Sorry, I miss understood them. They told me CIMA is good but the told me to choose between ACCA and ACA only. So what I should take. What is the deference between these two?

and my country doesn't have its own qualifications they only accept American CPA and British qualifications
Just pick one! Toss a coin, it doesn't matter!
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:14 am
Just Joined

So if you are an auditor now, what are you studying if your country does not have its own qualification?

I'd suggest Googling ACCA and ACA to see which you prefer, it is personal preference which to do. Just check that you meet the entry requirements. Bear in mind that it will take 3-5 years to fully qualify in either.

And remember - build up the experience
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

C.Accountant is an unknown quantity at this point

if they are almost the same at least which one is easier?
Thanks all, I really appreciate your help.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Bit of an impossible one to answer - I can't see why anyone would have sat both to be able to say which is easier.

Either way, they are both professional qualifications and therefore neither are going to be easy. As suggested before, Google them and see which one takes your interest more - go with your gut feeling.

If you want my recommendation - I'd go ACA. Thats only because its the one I have so am more familiar with it. If you ask someone who has the ACCA qualification they will recommend that for the same reason. Got to be your decision from now on.

Good luck
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I may be being thick here, but if I was in your position I'd email the professional association in each country you are interested in. Ask them the question as to whether they will accept either qualification or alternatively, what qualification is needed to be recognised in that country.

Many countries do NOT recognise qualifications from another country as many threads on BE will confirm.

Anyway, that's my two penny worth!
Old Sep 21st 2014, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA / ACA / CIMA "The best choice?"

Hi,

I am considering to have better potions and get a promotion. Even if I can get a better job somewhere else is great.

Currently I am an Auditor at Deloitte. My firm recommended me to get from these professional certificates ( ACCA or ACA or CIMA ).

So I am really confused, which one is better to get from these options that my job offered me to take? Which one will open for me more options in future and is more popular and needed everywhere?

And please tell me why one of them is better than the other.
Thanks in Advance
look at other people in your firm who are in the positions to which yiu aspire, what qualifications do they have? In my opinion, if you want to get a qualification that will stand you in best stead worldwide, I would go with the chartered qualification, ie ICAEW.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA / ACA / CIMA "The best choice?"

Originally Posted by Wombat7
look at other people in your firm who are in the positions to which yiu aspire, what qualifications do they have? In my opinion, if you want to get a qualification that will stand you in best stead worldwide, I would go with the chartered qualification, ie ICAEW.
ACCA and CIMA are also chartered qualifications. Hence the "C" in CIMA and one of the Cs in ACCA.

I would have thought the ability to apply for ICAEW whilst not living in EW would be limited.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

did not realize OP was not in UK. changes things but I agree with G18. If you are looking to career with big 4 ACCA is not the way to go.

Again, look people in the position to which you aspire and ask what qualifications they hold.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

On the road again is an unknown quantity at this point

Until I started working in the UK recently I had never heard of ACCA in either the US, Canada or Australia, where as CPA is found in most if not all western nations. ACCA also appears easier to get, With my degree alone I immediately qualified for 9 of the 14 modules in ACCA. Where as CPA doesn't credit you for any of their modules regardless of your degree. From my experience, making the accreditation easy to obtain lessens it's respect with employers in the industry. Ultimately it will be the amount of experience you bring to the job that will count the most. Take that for what it's worth.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by On the road again
Until I started working in the UK recently I had never heard of ACCA in either the US, Canada or Australia, where as CPA is found in most if not all western nations. ACCA also appears easier to get, With my degree alone I immediately qualified for 9 of the 14 modules in ACCA. Where as CPA doesn't credit you for any of their modules regardless of your degree. From my experience, making the accreditation easy to obtain lessens it's respect with employers in the industry. Ultimately it will be the amount of experience you bring to the job that will count the most. Take that for what it's worth.
It isn't the same CPA you know! It is just a common acronym, it doesn't mean the qualification is the same or that you can make sweeping generalisations about exemptions or quality. In Australia, CPA means open book, multiple choice papers and is very much the poor cousin. I generally think the not very bright ones did CPA (here)!

And considering you have never heard of ACCA until recently you are probably not best placed to comment on how easy or difficult it is. In fact it is deemed to be just as difficult /easy as the other English qualifications by official standard setters. I suspect you have misunderstood your exemptions. But another thing to bear in mind is that not a lot of Brits that go into accountancy will have an accounting degree, unlike in other countries. Perhaps you have, which would mean an above average number of exemptions. Most people I know, did not get any exemptions.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

On the road again is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It isn't the same CPA you know! It is just a common acronym, it doesn't mean the qualification is the same or that you can make sweeping generalisations about exemptions or quality. In Australia, CPA means open book, multiple choice papers and is very much the poor cousin. I generally think the not very bright ones did CPA (here)!

And considering you have never heard of ACCA until recently you are probably not best placed to comment on how easy or difficult it is. In fact it is deemed to be just as difficult /easy as the other English qualifications by official standard setters. I suspect you have misunderstood your exemptions. But another thing to bear in mind is that not a lot of Brits that go into accountancy will have an accounting degree, unlike in other countries. Perhaps you have, which would mean an above average number of exemptions. Most people I know, did not get any exemptions.
I can't speak for what you know only for what CPA Australia told me. I was told I didn't need to complete all 6 modules in Australia. I could go to the UK, Canada or the US (and most likely many other countries) and finish off any outstanding ones overseas and receive my CPA.

How could I get ACCA wrong. You go to their site, enter your uni, year and degree and it tells you what you are exempt from. I even phoned them and they confirmed that I was exempt from needing to take all but the 5 professional modules. All I had to do was pay for the other 9 so I could then put on my resume that I was a member partially through ACCA.

For myself I don't know if the tests are easier or harder, but I do know that if I don't have to complete more than half the required modules it's easier to obtain that particular credential. YMMV
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

To confuse things more, in Canada three accounting professions have Merged and are now all CPA, though each designation for the new several years will be "CPA CA" , "CPA CGA" or "CPA CMA" - to distinguish - without question the CA qualification was significantly more difficult to get than the CGA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.