ACCA to CPA Australia

Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:11 am
Just Joined

sami12185 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACCA to CPA Australia

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Sorry but I could barely understand your post. What do you mean by the below for example?

You will need to improve your English considerably to have any chance of securing work in accountancy in Australia. Also why would you expect to get support for ICAEW (the English accounting qualification) in Australia.
option means my last two paper are left only i have cleared 12 out of 14 papers
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Sorry but I could barely understand your post. What do you mean by the below for example?

You will need to improve your English considerably to have any chance of securing work in accountancy in Australia. Also why would you expect to get support for ICAEW (the English accounting qualification) in Australia.
what i am trying to say is that i have passed 12 out of 14 papers so my last 2 papers are left which i will pass very soon secondly rite now i am working in an audit firm from last six months so have experience of about six months i hope you will understand now waiting for your advice
regards
sami
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

what i am trying to say is that i have passed 12 out of 14 papers so my last 2 papers are left which i will pass very soon secondly rite now i am working in an audit firm from last six months so have experience of about six months i hope you will understand now waiting for your advice
regards
sami
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

lilymbula is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joe2010, Read in one of your posts that you are Kenyan and exPwC . have loads of questons about OZ. Thinking of coming.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 28th 2012 at 4:36 am. Reason: Remove personal details. Not a good idea to put these up on an open forum where spammers may see them.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lilymbula
Hi Joe2010, Read in one of your posts that you are Kenyan and exPwC . have loads of questons about OZ. Thinking of coming.
You can post here or PM me.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Bakar MA is an unknown quantity at this point

need a book Downloadable link......Book & Author name is there "Applied mathematics for business , Economics and Social Science By Frank S. Budnick" any idea plz
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bakar MA
need a book Downloadable link......Book & Author name is there "Applied mathematics for business , Economics and Social Science By Frank S. Budnick" any idea plz
http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Mathem.../dp/0071125809
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

DCart78 is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience, having the ACCA was a complete waste of time in Australia. I was ACCA qualified (2 years. PQE) when I arrived in Sydney and EVERY recruitment agency bar 2 told me I was unqualified, had no experience and the best jobs I could get were entry level Accounts Receivable / Accounts Payable jobs that I could get in the UK without taking any exams. I was there for 8 months doing these jobs but decided that there was no point working at sub-technician level when I could work as a Qualified Accountant in the UK.

As an aside, talking to a couple of people out in Australia, they seemed to indicate that the CPA was closer to an Accounting Technician qualification so you would be better to look for the CA qualification as if things go wrong at least you are spending your hard earned money on a qualification that is not a big step down from the ACCA.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

lilymbula is an unknown quantity at this point

joe2010 please tell me about ur journey how was it getting a job with kenyan experience there etc where do u work is there racism etc
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCart78
In my experience, having the ACCA was a complete waste of time in Australia. I was ACCA qualified (2 years. PQE) when I arrived in Sydney and EVERY recruitment agency bar 2 told me I was unqualified, had no experience and the best jobs I could get were entry level Accounts Receivable / Accounts Payable jobs that I could get in the UK without taking any exams. I was there for 8 months doing these jobs but decided that there was no point working at sub-technician level when I could work as a Qualified Accountant in the UK.
Every recruitment agent I spoke to said that Australian employers know very well what ACCA is and it would not present any difficulties whatsoever. And indeed it did not.

I am wondering if your work experience was not strong enough for their liking and they just fobbed you off with an easy line. A bit like the "local experience" line, which I also think is an excuse.

Originally Posted by DCart78
As an aside, talking to a couple of people out in Australia, they seemed to indicate that the CPA was closer to an Accounting Technician qualification so you would be better to look for the CA qualification as if things go wrong at least you are spending your hard earned money on a qualification that is not a big step down from the ACCA.
Agreed.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lilymbula
joe2010 please tell me about ur journey how was it getting a job with kenyan experience there etc where do u work is there racism etc
I can’t post details of where I work in a public forum, if you need assistance you will have to post more details about yourself/work experience.

My advice would be as follows;

If you are experienced, it will be easy to get a job but that may involve taking a step backwards. I came here more than 6 years ago and started with assistant accountant type of roles, and now work as a senior accountant with one of the biggest mining companies. It is possible to make the transition, but you need to be flexible. I also did the CA qualification, which would be easy to pass if you have the Kenyan CPA or ACCA, took me 18 months. I wouldn’t be bothered with the Australian CPA.

On racism, in my team of five we have only one Australian – the rest are Indian, Kiwi, Chinese and Irish. It is a very subjective issue but I wouldn’t rule out migrating because of fear of racism (look at it as tribalism in Africa). There are many Africans (and many of them Kenyans) who have pretty nice jobs here; if you can communicate well and have solid experience you will get a job.

Good luck.

Btw – based on your last name are you Kao?

Last edited by JOE2010; Jul 31st 2012 at 3:28 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:50 am
Just Joined

saadi939 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an ACCA student with only 3 papers left. The situation in my local country is getting worse day by day. I wish to move to any developed country which offers secure job future. I plan to give the 3 remaining papers on any other country by getting a student visa. Along with that, obtain the BSc(hons.) from OBU. and after like 6 months or so, start finding the job in that country (ill get an idea of local conditions and procedures by then).
I discussed it with my uncle living in UK. He advised that currently UK is not a good place to find a starting job. Especially just after the end of student visa.
He also said that I should look for Australia or Canada. In these two countries, he said, when i will finish my qualification (ACCA), the Govt. will help me in finding a suitable job, rather than forcing me to go back in my home country.
I am collecting as much info and knowledge about my career, and I need your help.
Is it really true what my uncle said? Can I find a good job quick after finishing my studies in the UK? Or will be better off in Australia or Canada?
I currently have no work experience whatsoever (Apart from an Internship at a Big refining complex here at homeland). And I do not seek to find a millionnaire job. For the start, I only want a work that pays me enough to live Individually on my own, with NORMAL comfort.
P.S I have extraordinary results in my academics. I have a Gold Medal in one of my ACCA papers (achieving highest marks in the world), all other papers passed in first attempt . Currently I am 18.
So please guys, help me in choosing the right country and the right path.
A lot of respect and thanks in advance!

Last edited by saadi939; Aug 2nd 2012 at 11:53 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saadi939
I am an ACCA student with only 3 papers left. The situation in my local country is getting worse day by day. I wish to move to any developed country which offers secure job future. I plan to give the 3 remaining papers on any other country by getting a student visa. Along with that, obtain the BSc(hons.) from OBU. and after like 6 months or so, start finding the job in that country (ill get an idea of local conditions and procedures by then).
I discussed it with my uncle living in UK. He advised that currently UK is not a good place to find a starting job. Especially just after the end of student visa.
He also said that I should look for Australia or Canada. In these two countries, he said, when i will finish my qualification (ACCA), the Govt. will help me in finding a suitable job, rather than forcing me to go back in my home country.
I am collecting as much info and knowledge about my career, and I need your help.
Is it really true what my uncle said? Can I find a good job quick after finishing my studies in the UK? Or will be better off in Australia or Canada?
I currently have no work experience whatsoever (Apart from an Internship at a Big refining complex here at homeland). And I do not seek to find a millionnaire job. For the start, I only want a work that pays me enough to live Individually on my own, with NORMAL comfort.
P.S I have extraordinary results in my academics. I have a Gold Medal in one of my ACCA papers (achieving highest marks in the world), all other papers passed in first attempt . Currently I am 18.
So please guys, help me in choosing the right country and the right path.
A lot of respect and thanks in advance!
Without any work experience it is very difficult to get a job and impossible to get the visa. What your uncle is telling you may pass for a very good story if it wasn't obviously not true - the government doesn't help any one get a job, both here and in Canada.

At 18 you have a lot going for you, my advise is to get a job in your home country and after a few years revisit migrating. If you are able to get into a big four accounting firm you can get a transfer or a visa independently after a few years. The alternative is to get a student visa and try looking for internship while still a student. The 20 hour working restriction will make it hard and the student fees are also very high.

Good luck.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

saadi939 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JOE2010
Without any work experience it is very difficult to get a job and impossible to get the visa. What your uncle is telling you may pass for a very good story if it wasn't obviously not true - the government doesn't help any one get a job, both here and in Canada.

At 18 you have a lot going for you, my advise is to get a job in your home country and after a few years revisit migrating. If you are able to get into a big four accounting firm you can get a transfer or a visa independently after a few years. The alternative is to get a student visa and try looking for internship while still a student. The 20 hour working restriction will make it hard and the student fees are also very high.

Good luck.
Thanks for the knowledge.
I want to ask further that is it not possible that I get a student visa, study in the other country my 3 remaining papers (as I mentioned before), and just after that, apply for any trainee or equivalent starting position?
The real problem is that local conditions are extremely tough (terrorist killings, crime rate booming, political war, unemployment) and I NEED to get to a better place as soon as I possibly can. Also where I live, it is not possible anymore for any ACCA to work in a big4 firm (due to local imbecile laws and regulations)
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saadi939
Thanks for the knowledge.
I want to ask further that is it not possible that I get a student visa, study in the other country my 3 remaining papers (as I mentioned before), and just after that, apply for any trainee or equivalent starting position?
The real problem is that local conditions are extremely tough (terrorist killings, crime rate booming, political war, unemployment) and I NEED to get to a better place as soon as I possibly can. Also where I live, it is not possible anymore for any ACCA to work in a big4 firm (due to local imbecile laws and regulations)
Which country is this?

I am not very sure on this but I do not think it is easy to get PR as an accountant without work experience. Internships are also very competitive and employers will be very reluctant to sponsor a student when they can get experienced workers at no cost.

If you can afford the student fees that may be an easier option, you get a temporary visa for 18 months (after completing your degree) which allows you to look for work. But it is no guarantee and the rules may change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.