Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

AAT Qualified in UK, worth applying for Aus Visa?

AAT Qualified in UK, worth applying for Aus Visa?

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

ash23 will become famous soon enoughash23 will become famous soon enough
Default AAT Qualified in UK, worth applying for Aus Visa?

Hi there.

My wife & I have being doing alot of reading/research recently & would welcome any input/ views any of you may have that could assist?

My wife is a Group Accountant and her job description/skills are those as set out in the occupation of Accountant with Asco code 2111-11. She does not have a degree but is AAT qualified & has been for 4 years. She could provide evidence of at least 5 years relevant work experience.

We were thinking of applying for a GSM Visa in the hope of acquiring the following points:

1. Lodge skills assessment with Vetassess - 40 points.
2. Age - 25 points.
3. Proficient English (hopefully scoring maximum on Ielts) - 25 points.
4. Specific work experience - 10 points.
5. MODL - 20 points.
6. Partner skills - 5 points.

TOTAL - 125 points.

I know this is a difficult question to answer given the brief details provided and the process will largely depend on the actual points acquired, but do you think that my wife would have a good chance of getting a GSM 175 visa, if we applied on the basis as proposed above?

Ideally we would love to start the ball rolling ourselves without using an Agent, but would be grateful for some assurance or guidance or even if there is an alternative we have not thought of.

Any advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ash.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:06 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AAT Qualified in UK, worth applying for Aus Visa?

Originally Posted by ash23
Hi there.

My wife & I have being doing alot of reading/research recently & would welcome any input/ views any of you may have that could assist?

My wife is a Group Accountant and her job description/skills are those as set out in the occupation of Accountant with Asco code 2111-11. She does not have a degree but is AAT qualified & has been for 4 years. She could provide evidence of at least 5 years relevant work experience.

We were thinking of applying for a GSM Visa in the hope of acquiring the following points:

2. Age - 25 points.
5. MODL - 20 points.

TOTAL - 125 points.

I know this is a difficult question to answer given the brief details provided and the process will largely depend on the actual points acquired, but do you think that my wife would have a good chance of getting a GSM 175 visa, if we applied on the basis as proposed above?

Ideally we would love to start the ball rolling ourselves without using an Agent, but would be grateful for some assurance or guidance or even if there is an alternative we have not thought of.

Any advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ash.
wrong thread, try the immigration thread in the country you wish you move to.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AAT Qualified in UK, worth applying for Aus Visa?

Originally Posted by ash23
Hi there.

2. Age - 25 points.
5. MODL - 20 points.

TOTAL - 125 points.

The points calculation is wrong, sorry.

Firstly, in order to get MODL she needs a skill assessment as an Accountant (2211-11). A Vetassess skill assessment in a 40 point occupation won't do.

Secondly, the points for work experience max out at 5 because she hasn't got a 60 point nominated occupation.

Total points are therefore 100 if you do manage to claim spouse skill points (it's not easy) or 95 without.

On top of that, she would need to be very careful about how she presents her work experience to be sure it falls into a skilled occupation and not one that is excluded from the SOL (for example, if they decide she is working as a book-keeper then the application will be refused before they even look at points). Providing evidence of 5 years relevant work experience is a start but wouldn't do in itself. For example, she might need to show more than 5 years work experience (possibly 8 years).

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 22nd 2007 at 6:59 pm.