Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

AAT qualification recognised in NZ

AAT qualification recognised in NZ

Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough
Default AAT qualification recognised in NZ

Can anyone please help.

Is the AAT qualification recognised in NZ??

When in the UK i was a registered Member of AAT & a Fellow of the IAB, self employed doing book keeping and accounts.

Gave up work when had children and then moved to NZ.

Now thinking of going back to work, as book keeping is skilled employment and therefore can apply for PR, but don't know if need to get my qualification assessed by NZQA.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Judy
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AAT qualification recognised in NZ

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Can anyone please help.

Is the AAT qualification recognised in NZ??

When in the UK i was a registered Member of AAT & a Fellow of the IAB, self employed doing book keeping and accounts.

Gave up work when had children and then moved to NZ.

Now thinking of going back to work, as book keeping is skilled employment and therefore can apply for PR, but don't know if need to get my qualification assessed by NZQA.
Are you sure that book-keeping is "skilled"? (it's not in Australia).

You would probably need an NZQA assessment for immigration purposes. For employment etc, you should contact the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants and ask if AAT is recognised for admission to the College of Accounting Technicians. http://www.nzica.com
Old Jan 19th 2007, 11:37 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

This is Aus not NZ but I have a friend who came out as AAT (through citizenship gained as a baby). He tried hard to get exemption from the first year of accounting qualifications using his AAT but in the end had to give up. Faced with starting studying from ground-zero he has jacked in his job and gone back to uni to study sports science (and meet young girls I reckon).
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
This is Aus not NZ but I have a friend who came out as AAT (through citizenship gained as a baby). He tried hard to get exemption from the first year of accounting qualifications using his AAT but in the end had to give up. Faced with starting studying from ground-zero he has jacked in his job and gone back to uni to study sports science (and meet young girls I reckon).
AAT in Australia is now linked with the National Institute of Accountants:
http://www.aat.org.au
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:15 pm
NZ is calling.....

Smelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really nice

Hi

Looks like it is recognized see links

http://www.nzica.com/staticcontent/Member/ATIndex.cfm

http://www.aat.co.uk/students/display/store4/item37023/

even a ref from the uk site.

Im a member of AAT in the UK and looking to move to NZ and have managed to find lots of jobs for Accounting Technicians, although Oz also have a centre too, i have found that Oz dont recognize this for Visa purposes NZ does.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Smelly Cat
Hi

Looks like it is recognized see links

http://www.nzica.com/staticcontent/Member/ATIndex.cfm

http://www.aat.co.uk/students/display/store4/item37023/

even a ref from the uk site.

Im a member of AAT in the UK and looking to move to NZ and have managed to find lots of jobs for Accounting Technicians, although Oz also have a centre too, i have found that Oz dont recognize this for Visa purposes NZ does.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that, looks like i'll hit a problem cos i've let membership lapse whilst not working and bringing up children!! Need to do some more research, as need my qualifications for PR as currently only here on work visas.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:04 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Thanks for that, looks like i'll hit a problem cos i've let membership lapse whilst not working and bringing up children!!
Not a smart idea to let your membership lapse. You should contact AAT and ask them what you need to do to get it back. You may need to do some continuing education etc.

http://www.aat.org.uk/members/faqs/f...re63/item2131/

I was once a full/fellow member. How can I reinstate my full/fellow membership?
You will need to confirm your employment history since you were deleted from our member's register. You will also need to confirm that you have taken steps to keep your skills up-to-date by undertaking relevant continuing professional development. You will also have to provide a recommendation confirming your continued suitability for reinstatement to membership.

If you would like an application form, or would like to discuss reinstatement to full or fellow membership please contact Membership Support on 020 7415 7600 or e-mail [email protected]

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 29th 2007 at 4:06 am.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:50 am
kiz
Just Joined

kiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What job do you actually get at the end of the course??

Hi, im currently in 6th form but im considering doing the AAT qualification, but im wondering what job i will most likely have by doing this qualification.

I know it sounds like a stupid question but most people are saying that they dont get to be a accountant at all

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks, kiz
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

Default Re: What job do you actually get at the end of the course??

Originally Posted by kiz
Hi, im currently in 6th form but im considering doing the AAT qualification, but im wondering what job i will most likely have by doing this qualification.
Any particular reason why AAT?

If you want to be a professional accountant the best route is to get a degree, do a Masters degree, and then do the exams to become a Chartered Accountant (with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, Scotland or Ireland).

This will give you the most options going forward, both in the United Kingdom and internationally.

http://www.icaew.co.uk
http://www.icas.org.uk
http://www.icai.ie
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 3:03 pm
kiz
Just Joined

Thanks for replying you gave me some useful advice.

But im choosing AAT because i didn't choose maths for as-level i did get a C in gcse so i could have done but i wasnt sure if i wanted to do it before.

And the AAT course is the only route which i know of how to become a accountant or something near it.

Thanks, kiz
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by kiz
Thanks for replying you gave me some useful advice.

But im choosing AAT because i didn't choose maths for as-level i did get a C in gcse so i could have done but i wasnt sure if i wanted to do it before.

And the AAT course is the only route which i know of how to become a accountant or something near it.
Most AAT members work as book-keepers. It's a perfectly respectable qualification in its own right. However don't be under any illusion that it will make you a professional accountant - it won't.

An AAT qualification might be acceptable as credit towards a degree and/or a professional accountant qualification.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:00 am
kiz
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: AAT qualification recognised in NZ

Thanks for that because all i've been told is that its going to make me a accountant!!typical kk thanks and yes booking keeping is a respectable job but not one that im intrested in.

Sorry to bug you but if i did do that AAT course(thats the only way i thought i knew how to become a accoutnant without doing maths in as-level) and then went to uni would i be able 2 become a accoutnant or most likely not

Thanks again kiz.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough

Hi Kiz
Once you qualify as AAt you can use the qualification to gain exemptions from some of the examinations on accountancy qualifications, you really need to look at the long term, If you go on the websites and look at the entry qualifications it will state whether AAT is acceptable
hope this helps
Old Apr 5th 2007, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hafan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kiz
Thanks for that because all i've been told is that its going to make me a accountant!!typical kk thanks and yes booking keeping is a respectable job but not one that im intrested in.

Sorry to bug you but if i did do that AAT course(thats the only way i thought i knew how to become a accoutnant without doing maths in as-level) and then went to uni would i be able 2 become a accoutnant or most likely not

Thanks again kiz.
I orignally did AAT, then went on to do the ACCA, All part time while I worked, then went on to do a Masters degree (still while I was working) and moved to Oz then studied the Law and tax papers and became a Fellow of the NIA (already a fellow of the ACCA) - You can still become an accountant via the AAT.....
Best of Luck.....
Hafan
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Hafan
You can still become an accountant via the AAT.....
You can, but not having a university degree will limit options long term. Especially if you decide to live outside the United Kingdom.

ACCA allows students to obtain a bachelors degree from Oxford Brookes University as part of the qualification process.

Alternatively, for those who are qualified but "missed out" on getting a degree, the Open University is a good option for those in the UK. It offers generous credits to those who have other degrees or professional qualifications.