Go Back   British Expats

Personal tools

UK Will-Australia

From Wiki

Your UK will does not immediately become invalid (as far as the UK is concerned, although you should confirm this with a UK solicitor if important) when you move to Australia.

However, if you are settling permanently in Australia you should normally replace it with a local will.

  • If your assets are in Australia, then probate will need to be done in Australia. Having your "out of jurisdiction" UK will admitted for probate in Australia will - as a minimum - be slower and more costly, and whether it can be done at all is dependent on the law of the Australian state/territory.
  • Making an Australian will helps with losing your UK domicile, which normally you want to do for Inheritance Tax purposes.
  • If you want to make provision for guardianship of children, an Australian will may be the best option, again depending on local laws.

Should you have both a UK and Australian will?

  • The problem with having two wills is ensuring that one does contradict the other, also may conflict with the law in either jurisdiction
  • If you still have significant assets in the UK it may still be better to have a single will made in Australia.
  • This will would then need to be probated in the UK on an "out of jurisdiction" basis,
  • There may be an option to register an Australian will with the UK courts, in advance, to speed up this process
  • Discuss with a UK solicitor who specialises in wills/estates
  • Longer term, it is one of the factors you should consider when you decide whether or not to leave assets in the UK.

All times are GMT. The time now is 4:58 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com