Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Working in Melbourne as a hairdresser - whats the deal?

Working in Melbourne as a hairdresser - whats the deal?

Old Aug 8th 2005, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold
Question Working in Melbourne as a hairdresser - whats the deal?

Im currently in the process of applying for a visa as a hairdresser and am planning to live in Melbourne when we arrive. We are doing our figures and where I can see that Hairdressers are in demand, I cannot find any details of scales of pay for hairdressers. Can anybody let me know how much I would expect to earn for a 20 hour week? and how much I need to be charging for a haircut etc.?

Any guidance greatly received

Louise
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

debdex is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Working in Melbourne as a hairdresser - whats the deal?

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Im currently in the process of applying for a visa as a hairdresser and am planning to live in Melbourne when we arrive. We are doing our figures and where I can see that Hairdressers are in demand, I cannot find any details of scales of pay for hairdressers. Can anybody let me know how much I would expect to earn for a 20 hour week? and how much I need to be charging for a haircut etc.?

Louise
hi louise, im applying 2 and am in the process of researching jobs if i find out ill let u no. when r u hoping to be there?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Working in Melbourne as a hairdresser - whats the deal?

Originally Posted by debdex
hi louise, im applying 2 and am in the process of researching jobs if i find out ill let u no. when r u hoping to be there?
Well Im just about to send my TRA documents off so I guess it will be a while..
Good luck with your application
Louise
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:18 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Louise

I earn $500 full time per week in Perth i think that is average in many states and No tips at all.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 4:09 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan
I earn $500 full time per week in Perth i think that is average in many states and No tips at all.

I was working as a casual and my pay award was $20.50 an hour, apparently that drops slighty if you have a permanent contract..
Like you say Jan, no tips... (unless you have an expat client.. )
I live in Perth also..
Old Aug 20th 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deba34
I was working as a casual and my pay award was $20.50 an hour, apparently that drops slighty if you have a permanent contract..
Like you say Jan, no tips... (unless you have an expat client.. )
I live in Perth also..
do you like perth? have you been to melbourne? so are there a lot of jobs available? haha too many questions.......
Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:19 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

do you like perth? have you been to melbourne? so are there a lot of jobs available? haha too many questions.......

LOL...

Hi Deb..

Yes I love Perth, no , I haven't been to Melbourne (yet, give me time.. ) so I wouldn't know if there are many jobs over there. And as for too many questions, thats what the forum is for....

Good luck..

Deb
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deba34
LOL...

Hi Deb..

Yes I love Perth, no , I haven't been to Melbourne (yet, give me time.. ) so I wouldn't know if there are many jobs over there. And as for too many questions, thats what the forum is for....

Good luck..

Deb
thanks for that deb, so how long have you been in oz? how long did your application take? i have got an agent and he has been fantastic so far really helped me, so im just waiting for my TRA to come back so keeping my fingers crossed. did you get a job straight away or travel for a bit first? where are you from in england? haha you said i could ask you some questions well you no us hairdressers like to get all the info x
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that deb, so how long have you been in oz? how long did your application take? i have got an agent and he has been fantastic so far really helped me, so im just waiting for my TRA to come back so keeping my fingers crossed. did you get a job straight away or travel for a bit first? where are you from in england? haha you said i could ask you some questions well you no us hairdressers like to get all the info x
The Best of luck to you in your TRA application, Ive also just sent mine off today with hairdressing as my skill

Louise
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

The Best of luck to you in your TRA application, Ive also just sent mine off today with hairdressing as my skill

Louise
hi louise are you excited? i was but kept thinkin id forgotten something!!! haha but when i recieved the letter to say they had recieved it in canberra it all seemed suddenly real... so now i just sit tight and wait for the next step. have you employed an agent?? which 1? is he in london mine is. are you goin alone or with some1? and where do you intend to go? sorry about all the question but if you dont ask an all that!!!!!! x
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

hi louise are you excited? i was but kept thinkin id forgotten something!!! haha but when i recieved the letter to say they had recieved it in canberra it all seemed suddenly real... so now i just sit tight and wait for the next step. have you employed an agent?? which 1? is he in london mine is. are you goin alone or with some1? and where do you intend to go? sorry about all the question but if you dont ask an all that!!!!!! x
Hya Debdex
I dont have an agent - hopefully I can figure it out by using this forum and my head!!
Im dragging my husband and 3 children off to oz if they het me in. I am also seeking state sponsorship which the state of victoria will do if you are a hairdresser - has your agent suggested that? It means you dont have to pay the $5000 bond and your application is prioritised.
Anyway - good luck to you too, let me know how you get on

Louise
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Hya Debdex
I dont have an agent - hopefully I can figure it out by using this forum and my head!!
Im dragging my husband and 3 children off to oz if they het me in. I am also seeking state sponsorship which the state of victoria will do if you are a hairdresser - has your agent suggested that? It means you dont have to pay the $5000 bond and your application is prioritised.
Anyway - good luck to you too, let me know how you get on

Louise
im applying for a skills visa, there are no stipulations on where or what u work as and no bond??? i dont no what yours is as ive not looked in2 that just gone on advice from my agent. he has made it a lot easier fo me i must admit. did you look in2 getting an agent? but u r already half way there if youve sent off ur TRA.maybe there would be no point at this stage now.

keep me posted though debx
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

lisaxxx will become famous soon enoughlisaxxx will become famous soon enough

Hi, I was interested to read your post about the state of Victoria sponsoring hairdressers. Do you know if this is a nationwide initiative? My salon is in Brisbane.
I have had a lot of trouble getting staff but am employing a great canadian hairdresser on a working/holiday visa at the moment. However, she would like to stay permanently and this may be an option for us to look into as currently I can only employ her for three months.

lisaxxx
p.s anyone coming to Brisbane and looking for a job please contact me
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisaxxx
Hi, I was interested to read your post about the state of Victoria sponsoring hairdressers. Do you know if this is a nationwide initiative? My salon is in Brisbane.
I have had a lot of trouble getting staff but am employing a great canadian hairdresser on a working/holiday visa at the moment. However, she would like to stay permanently and this may be an option for us to look into as currently I can only employ her for three months.

lisaxxx
hi lisa i am in thr process of applying if u keep in touch i would be interested in a job. where r u from in england and how long have you been in oz? debx
Old Sep 4th 2005, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisaxxx

lisaxxx
Hope the staffing problem improves soon, the state sponsorship varies from state to state, you may wish to check your state.
Louise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.