Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Work for UK company remotely from abroad?

Work for UK company remotely from abroad?

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

lowprofilelenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work for UK company remotely from abroad?

Hi all,

I'm from the UK. One of my greatest ambitions is to live abroad for some time, and maybe even start a new life in a new country.

I've been looking at the various ways I might do this. The first way would be to get a job in my chosen profession (I work in the IT industry). As a backup plan, I'd look at getting a TEFL and teaching English (if it's not the native language, of course), though this might not be a long term option - seems more of a student thing to do, and I'm now in my late 20's.

Thirdly, I'm thinking I may be able to work for clients in the UK remotely, which my profession gives me some freedom to do. This would be one of the most desirable options, as it would allow me to travel wherever I wanted as if I were on holiday, doing some work and some play, and getting paid into my UK bank account. I'd probably have to leave the country from time to time to satisfy my visa, but it could be a great way for me to see the world, and think about where I'd like to finally settle.

I'm just wondering what the legal implications for this are? Does anyone here have any experience of this?
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Work for UK company remotely from abroad?

Additionally, any opinions on whether you think this is a viable way of making a living, or just a pipedream, are also welcome
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowprofilelenny

I'm just wondering what the legal implications for this are? Does anyone here have any experience of this?
Would depend on where your residing so general info might not be much use...and it could be a tax hassle.

Best way of going about it though is via contacts and building up a network of people who can chuck work your way, rather hard doing remote work internationally though, time difference, tax issues being the two to over come.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

This is the question - if I'm a British citizen, and I work from home, and I get paid into my UK bank account... does it matter where I'm doing that work from?

If I happen to be visiting another country while I'm doing that work... does it make a difference to the authorities concerned?

Would it be ok to visit that country as if I were on holiday, or would I have to declare that I would be carrying out work while I was there?

I can see that the UK authorities might be concerned, as I would be earning pounds and yet not be spending them in the UK.

I'll see if I can research some answers. In the meantime, if anyone else has anything to say, please do chip in!
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 6:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, it would depend on where you would be residing...some countries you wouldn't be allowed to work unless you have authorisation to do so such as the US and you'd have to file taxes anyway.

It would be different for which ever country you are interested in.

You need to figure out which countries hold interest first, then figure out the visa requirements to allow you to work whilst in one of those countries.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:04 am
Just Joined

michaelrosy is an unknown quantity at this point

can any body help? my partner is going to morocco to build a villa as a sub contractor for a british company. will he need a work visa?
Old Jul 14th 2010, 7:51 am
Just Joined

David Mayes is an unknown quantity at this point

TEFL is a great way to check out a country and see if you actually like living there. This is how I originally came to Thailand even though my background was in finance.

Once in the country you will make connections and can network your way back into your desired field most likely, luckily IT is an industry where you should be able to do this much more easily than most industries.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

porph is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm looking to do something similar. I'm currently employed as a contractor via an agency to a big global consulting firm. I can work remotely, is it possible for me to work for 2-3 months in a country that would normally require a WP/visa if my employment & renumeration remains in the UK?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by porph
Hi,

I'm looking to do something similar. I'm currently employed as a contractor via an agency to a big global consulting firm. I can work remotely, is it possible for me to work for 2-3 months in a country that would normally require a WP/visa if my employment & renumeration remains in the UK?
Depends on the country.

You wouldn't be allowed to do that in the US.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

porph is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the country.

You wouldn't be allowed to do that in the US.
Cheers, specifically it would be Argentina.