Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

UK Offshore Roustabout - looking for advice.

UK Offshore Roustabout - looking for advice.

Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Peter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nice
Exclamation UK Offshore Roustabout - looking for advice.

Hi everyone,

I know that this question was probably asked many times but I would like to hear your opinion, as I could not find a satisfying answer.
I am 28 year old, graduating this year BA (Hons) in Communication and PR, and expecting to get 2.1 degree. Despite my degree, I would like to start working offshore and start from any possible level, which probably would be a Roustabout. I am keen on getting a job offshore, as it is the best possible solution for my current and future plans. I wonder whether I should write in my CV the degree I hold. I would like to make a point that I am physically fit as I have trained boxing and MMA since I was 18. I do not have much experience of working as a labour however, I have always enjoyed fixing things or repairing cars. For the last year I have worked in a local garage therefore, you can be sure I know how to use tools and what it is like to get dirty. I am about to do following courses:
Banksman slinger training
BOSIET
MIST
Rope access

I also thought about doing Mechanical Engineering course HNC in order to increase my chances of getting a job however maybe this is not a good idea since I do not have much of work experience and I think that that counts much. I would not like to get another degree and struggle to get a job.
I realise that I get older and time is running away therefore if I want to get a job offshore this is the last chance. I wonder if someone can indicate me in the right direction and if I could somehow use my degree as an advantage instead of concealing it in my CV as some people say such a degree in my CV when applying for a job offshore may only put me off. Does anyone know whether it is easier to get a job on a rig after undertaking HNC in ME or maybe where to start working first to make some useful contacts or gain a good experience? What else can increase my chance to get a job if anything?

I live in Aberdeen Scotland and plan to work here.

Thank you very much for any help.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:16 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Offshore Roustabout - looking for advice.

Originally Posted by Peter 84
Hi everyone,

I know that this question was probably asked many times but I would like to hear your opinion, as I could not find a satisfying answer.
I am 28 year old, graduating this year BA (Hons) in Communication and PR, and expecting to get 2.1 degree. Despite my degree, I would like to start working offshore and start from any possible level, which probably would be a Roustabout. I am keen on getting a job offshore, as it is the best possible solution for my current and future plans. I wonder whether I should write in my CV the degree I hold. I would like to make a point that I am physically fit as I have trained boxing and MMA since I was 18. I do not have much experience of working as a labour however, I have always enjoyed fixing things or repairing cars. For the last year I have worked in a local garage therefore, you can be sure I know how to use tools and what it is like to get dirty. I am about to do following courses:
Banksman slinger training
BOSIET
MIST
Rope access

I also thought about doing Mechanical Engineering course HNC in order to increase my chances of getting a job however maybe this is not a good idea since I do not have much of work experience and I think that that counts much. I would not like to get another degree and struggle to get a job.
I realise that I get older and time is running away therefore if I want to get a job offshore this is the last chance. I wonder if someone can indicate me in the right direction and if I could somehow use my degree as an advantage instead of concealing it in my CV as some people say such a degree in my CV when applying for a job offshore may only put me off. Does anyone know whether it is easier to get a job on a rig after undertaking HNC in ME or maybe where to start working first to make some useful contacts or gain a good experience? What else can increase my chance to get a job if anything?

I live in Aberdeen Scotland and plan to work here.

Thank you very much for any help.
You are over thinking this....

First question is why Roustabout? Plenty of Oil Service Co;s, (Baker, Schlum, Halliburton, Weatherford etc) that are always on the lookout for guys to train up
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Peter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nice
Default Re: UK Offshore Roustabout - looking for advice.

Well I just want to make a start. You are probably right but are you also talking about the UK? In Aberdeen is very hard to get into this.

Thanks pal