Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

UK Lawyer working in California.

UK Lawyer working in California.

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

boniobonio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Lawyer working in California.

Hey there,

My husband has just been offered an intra-company transfer to live and work in California. He'd be on an L-1 visa, so I'd consequently have an L-2 visa.

At present I work as a senior employment lawyer for one of the big banks in London, i'm 7 years qualified and enjoy a decent salary and benefits. I, of course, understand that I would have to pass the Californian bar in order to practice law there. My main concern is that my relatively specific UK employment law experience would not be valued by a US firm regardless of the close similarities.

Was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience here? Or could offer advice on any firms that might have a use for somebody with transatlantic employment/labor law experience?

All comments much appreciated.
Thanks!
T
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:56 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Lawyer working in California.

Originally Posted by boniobonio
Hey there,

My husband has just been offered an intra-company transfer to live and work in California. He'd be on an L-1 visa, so I'd consequently have an L-2 visa.

At present I work as a senior employment lawyer for one of the big banks in London, i'm 7 years qualified and enjoy a decent salary and benefits. I, of course, understand that I would have to pass the Californian bar in order to practice law there. My main concern is that my relatively specific UK employment law experience would not be valued by a US firm regardless of the close similarities.

Was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience here? Or could offer advice on any firms that might have a use for somebody with transatlantic employment/labor law experience?

All comments much appreciated.
Thanks!
T
Hi T and welcome to the forums

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice with your situation other than to suggest that you may want to post this in the USA section as well - not everyone pops in here. USA - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

boniobonio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Lawyer working in California.

Have reposted - thanks very much!
T