Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Translation jobs in New York?

Translation jobs in New York?

Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Vicky4x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Translation jobs in New York?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me as I would love to live and work in New York..... I am a Brit who has lived in Spain for a few years, so I speak fairly fluent Spanish. I have a foundation degree in business and professional administration which I guess is the equivalent of half a degree. (2 years worth of study). I could go on to do the top-up course and get my Bachelors degree but to be honest I didn't really enjoy what I was studying.
However, I do like using my Spanish so have been considering taking a translation/interpreting degree and possibly learning another language such as French or German (or maybe both). I already know a little German from when I had to deal with German tourists while working in Spain and I think French shouldn't be too difficult as I already know Spanish, maybe this is wishful thinking though! Anyway, I digress.... Basically I was wondering if anyone knows whether non-US citizens have much luck finding work as translators or interpreters or even in a bilingual/multilingual job role in the States? I realise that there are already lots of people in the USA that speak Spanish and I'm also aware that often with translation you need an area of expertise, which is why I would appreciate to hear any opinions/feedback people on this forum may have. I'm assuming that speaking and writing Spanish and English alone won't be enough, but if I had another language or two under my belt, such as German and/or French, do you think I would have a chance of finding a job? Or do you think I would need a language that is less commonly spoken by native English speakers, such as Mandarin, Russian, etc? Or should I just give up on the translation idea and look into another career?!

Thank you in advance!!!!

Last edited by Vicky4x; Jun 7th 2011 at 5:54 pm. Reason: want to say m new to the forum
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Translation jobs in New York?

Welcome to BE!

Your problem, you don't have a degree, that's pretty big if you dont' have much experience.

You are also competing with people who are fluent in Spanish, French and German, with written skills, so what are you offering by being "fairly" fluent?

Consider who is going to be needing the services...that'll limit on who and what will be much use because most won't bother with the cost of visa sponsorship, especially when there are so many others that could do the job.

The idea of less common languages will be a good idea, Cantonese/Madarin but only if you get the written side of things.

Really, probably better off looking in another area and have the languages as a side thing as a extra niche skill set than as a primary means for work.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Read that and you'll get some ideas about the visa.