Sound Engineer VS the USA

Sound Engineer VS the USA

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

jHed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sound Engineer VS the USA

Hi there!

Long time reader- first time poster!

I recently married a US citizen and am currently waiting on a work permit.

Back home I was a sound engineer by trade and hold ten years experience. However I fell into this job by accident and as a result- am somewhat wet behind the ears when it comes to looking for work.

I was wondering if anyone on this here board was aware of any sound engineers or event tech's from the UK who are also in America who could possibly give me a few pointers in regards to either a) finding work or b) generally just finding a way to reach out/pick the brains in regards to how they got started working with gigs and events over here?

Cheers!
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sound Engineer VS the USA

Originally Posted by jHed
Hi there!

Long time reader- first time poster!

I recently married a US citizen and am currently waiting on a work permit.

Back home I was a sound engineer by trade and hold ten years experience. However I fell into this job by accident and as a result- am somewhat wet behind the ears when it comes to looking for work.

I was wondering if anyone on this here board was aware of any sound engineers or event tech's from the UK who are also in America who could possibly give me a few pointers in regards to either a) finding work or b) generally just finding a way to reach out/pick the brains in regards to how they got started working with gigs and events over here?

Cheers!
Hi there and welcome to the forums

I've moved your post over to our main USA forum where it will be more visible and you are more likely to get some responses

Good luck.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome. Your post mentioned "back home" and "work permit".

So are you currently living in the USA awaiting adjustment of status and also your I-765 to be approved?

I'd make sure your resume is up to date and Americanized. Get your linked in on and ask for some recommendations on there from previous coworkers.

I'm not sure if there are licencing for this job in the USA - I doubt it. If there is then you'll need to navigate that.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

It's not easy here - Most AV jobs are through local unions. - Former lampie.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 6:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A couple former colleagues got jobs over here that brought them over, but that was in the games industry. They networked pretty hard and either went to big shows like GDC or E3 back in the day, or gave talks.