Paramedic jobs

Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Phil_NWAS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paramedic jobs

Hi all. New to this forum. I'm a Para (2 1/2 yrs post qual) working in Preston Lancs. Just been out to QLD and have to say it was an amazing place. Visited a former para colleague of mine in Brisbane and had a lot of my questions answered regarding QAS.
Just wondered has anyone thought about or applied for New South Wales amb serv?
It sound very similar to QAS, but I get the impression from their web site that the 'de-skilling' of UK paras going there instead of QAS is less.
Any thoughts, let me know.
Cheers
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Phil, Have a look at this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=nsw+ambulance

- Loads of info from people have asked a similar question. There are a few of us in the "system" at the moment, with, i believe, 5 UK paras already working in Sydney.
I myself, have an offer to start in July, but frustratingly i cannot sell myself at the moment
best regards
chris
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Phil_NWAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris rose
Hi Phil, Have a look at this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=nsw+ambulance

- Loads of info from people have asked a similar question. There are a few of us in the "system" at the moment, with, i believe, 5 UK paras already working in Sydney.
I myself, have an offer to start in July, but frustratingly i cannot sell myself at the moment
best regards
chris
Many thanks Chris. Found the thread really helpful. I'm sure the next few weeks will result in me posting many q's here!!
All the best to you with your offer
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

vickyhammick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flapper
Hi all! This is my first post on this forum, which i 'discovered' today, and so far i have been amazed at the amount of info available. I am also a paramedic based in Pembrokeshire, having worked for the Welsh NHS ambulance trust for over 12 years.
Last summer i submitted applications to both Western Australia (St.Johns), and the Queensland Ambulance services. So far i have had a telephone and a face-to-face interview, and a fitness test with WA, and i am expecting to have a face-to-face interview with QLD early to mid March.
I have been doing a lot of research, and have started to form a bit of an impression of both organisations, and they do seem to be quite different!
We are going out to WA for a month on the last week of March for a rekkie/holiday. We did plan on doing 2 wks in each place, but a month is just not long enough, and i didn't want to turn it into a knackering slog for my wife and 11yr old son. We settled on WA as at the time of booking it looked like the place we may be more inclinded to head for, but since then QLD have been very pro-active, and i'm starting to have some doubts about the St.Johns organisation. After myself and another Pembs colleague's applications were going before the directors for final perusal, they have now decided to hold further telephone interviews?!
Unlike many who are planning on/have emigrated to OZ, we already have quite a good lifestyle out here in the sticks in that we are surrounded by beautiful un-spoiled and un-crowded beaches (coastal national park), and spend many a summers evening sipping a pint outside watching the sun go down over the sea. Down-side is you have to drive for hours to get anywhere!Our reasons for contemplating emigrating to OZ (rose-coloured glasses off!), are mainly for concerns for the way the UK seems to be going, more time spent outdoors due to better weather (lifestyle), and future prospects (inc.property) for our kids.
After the initial rush and excitment of the thought of selling up everything and heading off to the other side of the world, i'm now starting to have some doubts, mainly about earnings and house prices in OZ, and about what i will have to give up here. Being a backwater, the problems of the UK tend to get diluted somewhat. Also, having done years of hard labour on the house we are currently in and almost have it finally finished!, and with AFC money, and having to sell my lovely Impreza and beach buggy, and leaving family and friends behind, etc, etc, the decision seems to be getting tougher!
I'm getting the impression that these days you have to have a reasonably good income/low borrowings in order to afford and enjoy the Ozzie dream, and although it's not all about the money, i don't want to take a hefty pay cut, give up a pretty nice UK lifestyle, and have money worries/working stacks of OT just to move to OZ.
Chances are we'll probably fall in love with the place when we go out next month, come home with big rose-coloured glasses, say sod it, sell up and move out there!!
I used to be in-decisive, now not so sure!!
Any tales of experiences since making the big move to OZ, and of working for their ambo services, would be very gratefully received.
Thanks for having the patience to read my first ramble!
Hi there,
i'm in the process of applying to WA at the moment, i'm a technician in Surrey. I will be having a telephone interview soon and just wondered if you could give me any advise on how to prepare for it? What sort of questions did they ask etc??
So did you make the big move in the end and if so where did go?
Vicky
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

GDavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Keebs/ anyone else who has any info!
It's meee miss Davies- daughter of mad christmas bush woman aka sis in law (don't wanna say my name but that should be enough!...How are you both?!

I am finding nursing tough, just finishe my first year. In that it is a tough job but i originally wanted to be a paramedic and thought that if I trained to be a nurse it would get me more opportunities travel/ anywhere wise but whenever i think bout it I am more inclined to being a paramedic eventually anyway - esp as i didn't enjoy both first year placements...aaargh!

If u have any words of wisdom/ typical days or any points i could consider would be very much appreciated as I'm wondering if i should even carry on with this.

G
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by medicmandan
hi all,
just wondered if anyone knows the process once in australia for progression from advanced care paramedic to intensive care paramedic? time scales and what you have to do? i am just a little concerned with my skills dropping off because obviously, as a paramedic here in the U.K. we can do most of the procedures and give most of the drugs etc. that an ICP in Oz can give and going over as an ACP, i would not be allowed to practice these.

on the other hand, would be getting roughly the same money as here for alot less responsibility and then when i DO get the responsibility back as an ICP, they pay you for the privilege and make it worth your while, unlike here

any thoughts or experiences would be welcomed to help with my decision on whether to take the plunge down under!!
Hi there, from my knowledge of the QAS, to move from ACP (Advanced Care Paramedic) to ICP, the guys here have to apply to do the ICP course - they have to be interviewed and then take an examination which has a certain pass mark. they then undertake a 2 (I think) year on road training course. They then go to an ICP panel exam. Lots of extra drugs and procedures - including thrombolysing infarcts, etc, etc. QAS well known as probably the worst paid ambos when compared to NSW and other states but you will have to check that out. ICPs here paid less per hour than many RNs!!! Work that one out. Anyhow, good luck with whatever you decide. I have to say we love Queensland - people are friendly and laid back, great lifestyle. We have had the support of having family around us in this part of the World so it really does help. Been back to the UK once in the 5 years since we emigrated and really did not think much of it!! Sad to say. Great to catch up with friends and family but we were glad to get back here.
S
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

jg0505 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

I know that this is not the correct area to be discussing this, but you all seem like a friendly bunch

I have spent some time travelling, quite a bit in Oz, too! I'm returning to the UK and want to train to be a paramedic.

I think my work history’s a bit sketchy though. Basically I left college before completing my A-Levels, because I was offered a place at Middlesex uni to study nursing. I only completed the first year, got into money trouble and got a job in a bar, and was eventually made assistant manager. I then worked as a van driver for Pret a Manger in London, they then promoted me to customer services, and I was put in charge of their fleet of vans. While working for them I volunteered for Samaritans. I left London last September, and went travelling for a year.

I really wanted to hear from people who held really different jobs before getting into what you do now. They say they are looking for a stable employment/education record. My problem is quitting 2 education courses doesn’t look good on my CV. Should I be thinking of trying to get in more entry level?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jim
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:52 am
Just Joined

TLEH from Canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All!

My boyfriend and I are both Paramedics (Advanced Care, and Primary Care Medics) in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada (encompassing Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Fort Erie, Welland, Grimsby, Port Colborne, etc). See link- http://www.regional.niagara.on.ca/li...perations.aspx

We're both looking for a drastic change, but seeing as we both love our jobs, we're both just really seeking to relocate to New Zealand.

We're also both working on our respective university degrees (Psychology, and Health Sciences), but are willing to transfer to a University in New Zealand and complete our degrees there. I am also interested in taking the ACP course (I guess whatever the equivalent would be in New Zealand) to take my career up one step further.

This all said, I've been searching for a couple weeks online now, and haven't come across any useful information, or found any Paramedic Services to call.

I did, however, come across this forum, and I'm wondering if someone would be willing to answer a few of my questions?
- How many Paramedic services are there in New Zealand?
- Where are they located?
- Are they privately run, or owned and operated by the region/county?
- How many levels of care are there? (ie: in Ontario there are i) Primary Care, ii) Advanced Care, iii) Critical Care, iv) Primary, Advanced and Critical Flight Medics, v) Specialized: Tactical Medics, Marine Medics, Bike Medics)
- What qualifications are needed to work in New Zealand
- What responsibilities do your Primary, Advanced, and Critical Care Medics have?
- What certifications do you possess?
- What equipment and medications do you carry?
- What is the application process like?
- Do services in New Zealand hire on medics from other countries?
- What would we need to do to apply to the different services?

I know this is an awful lot of questions...and I probably have more, but I suppose this is sufficient for now.

Any answers or comments are welcomed! Thank you kindly to all those who do answer!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TLEH from Canada
Hi All!

My boyfriend and I are both Paramedics (Advanced Care, and Primary Care Medics) in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada (encompassing Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Fort Erie, Welland, Grimsby, Port Colborne, etc). See link- http://www.regional.niagara.on.ca/li...perations.aspx

We're both looking for a drastic change, but seeing as we both love our jobs, we're both just really seeking to relocate to New Zealand.

We're also both working on our respective university degrees (Psychology, and Health Sciences), but are willing to transfer to a University in New Zealand and complete our degrees there. I am also interested in taking the ACP course (I guess whatever the equivalent would be in New Zealand) to take my career up one step further.

This all said, I've been searching for a couple weeks online now, and haven't come across any useful information, or found any Paramedic Services to call.

I did, however, come across this forum, and I'm wondering if someone would be willing to answer a few of my questions?
- How many Paramedic services are there in New Zealand?
- Where are they located?
- Are they privately run, or owned and operated by the region/county?
- How many levels of care are there? (ie: in Ontario there are i) Primary Care, ii) Advanced Care, iii) Critical Care, iv) Primary, Advanced and Critical Flight Medics, v) Specialized: Tactical Medics, Marine Medics, Bike Medics)
- What qualifications are needed to work in New Zealand
- What responsibilities do your Primary, Advanced, and Critical Care Medics have?
- What certifications do you possess?
- What equipment and medications do you carry?
- What is the application process like?
- Do services in New Zealand hire on medics from other countries?
- What would we need to do to apply to the different services?

I know this is an awful lot of questions...and I probably have more, but I suppose this is sufficient for now.

Any answers or comments are welcomed! Thank you kindly to all those who do answer!
Hi,

I've 2 friends/ex-work colleagues who are working in managerial positions within Wellington Free Ambulance Service, New Zealand. I'll pm with their details.

Hope this helps

Keebs.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Keebs!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Oh, and in the meantime, do they have a website I could peruse?
Thanks again!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

emadex is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been with the QAS for over 10 years.
Any UK paramedics wanting information about life in the Queensland Ambulance Service - contact me < < snip > >

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 10th 2008 at 12:51 pm. Reason: email address removed for privacy and anti-spam - please contact member via the forum itself.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

UKQAS is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...43934&page=109

post here emadex.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:45 am
Just Joined

emadex is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Chez1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jg0505
Hi Guys

I know that this is not the correct area to be discussing this, but you all seem like a friendly bunch

I have spent some time travelling, quite a bit in Oz, too! I'm returning to the UK and want to train to be a paramedic.

I think my work history’s a bit sketchy though. Basically I left college before completing my A-Levels, because I was offered a place at Middlesex uni to study nursing. I only completed the first year, got into money trouble and got a job in a bar, and was eventually made assistant manager. I then worked as a van driver for Pret a Manger in London, they then promoted me to customer services, and I was put in charge of their fleet of vans. While working for them I volunteered for Samaritans. I left London last September, and went travelling for a year.

I really wanted to hear from people who held really different jobs before getting into what you do now. They say they are looking for a stable employment/education record. My problem is quitting 2 education courses doesn’t look good on my CV. Should I be thinking of trying to get in more entry level?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jim
Hi Jim,

have you returned to the UK yet? I am a Paramedic in Yorkshire and would be happy to give you some advice on current training and requirements.

Let me know if you are still seeking help.

C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.