Paramedic jobs

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Nik H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paramedic jobs

Thanks, Nessie! 3 years!
I'm just finishing my probation now! Good luck to you, thanks again!.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

nessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nik H
Thanks, Nessie! 3 years!
I'm just finishing my probation now! Good luck to you, thanks again!.
dont fret nik h, 3years is defo nsw,however i do no of a tech from nearby station who went to western in perth after only 2 years including probation.If queensland figures of 250 per year over 5 years is still accurate and age is on your side plenty of time
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Nik H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nessie518
dont fret nik h, 3years is defo nsw,however i do no of a tech from nearby station who went to western in perth after only 2 years including probation.If queensland figures of 250 per year over 5 years is still accurate and age is on your side plenty of time
Thanks! Sounds much better. I have a friend who has just emigrated to Perth and loves it. Will try over there!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

andyms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, im currently a Technician here in the Uk, my question is would it be better for me to go and get my degree qualification as a paramedic over here first then apply for a place in Oz, or would it be best and as quick to just apply as a Technician and to do the courses that are run over there for paramedics, the problem i may have is im 40 now and i know age does come into it.

And also what areas are recruiting at the moment?

Kind regards
Andy
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

nessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud ofnessie518 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andyms
Hi all, im currently a Technician here in the Uk, my question is would it be better for me to go and get my degree qualification as a paramedic over here first then apply for a place in Oz, or would it be best and as quick to just apply as a Technician and to do the courses that are run over there for paramedics, the problem i may have is im 40 now and i know age does come into it.

Kind regards
Andy
the main problem you may have is that most services in oz reqiure 3 years experience in current role so to do para here and then get 3 years experience pushes ever closer to the age limit.I think better to do para stuff over there
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

andyms is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that, some kind person sent me a pm yesterday also saying that was the best option also because of the time frame involved, and unlike paras going over i wouldnt take a skills drop, i would basically the same as what i am here.

Kind regards
Andy

Last edited by andyms; Nov 27th 2007 at 3:14 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

ScottishRose1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I have been offered a place on a paramedical health science degree in New Zealand.
While I want to become a paramedic (I've done a wee amount of volunteering) I am not that keen on doing a 3 year degree when I could possibly work my way through an ambulance service in the UK.
(I have decided that NZ is not for me...)
So I guess my dillema is : Do I stay and retrain here, or do I try to get training in the UK?
My course is due to start at the end of Feb and I am torn between the above scenario.
All thoughts appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Amerna8ter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Keebs
Hi Ian,

I'm a British Paramedic currently working in Queensland, drop me a line and I'll give you as much help as I can.

Best Wishes

Keebs.
HI ! I'm another one of those paramedics from the uk who is looking to make the leap to QAS. I have complete the appliation but yet to send it off. would love some advice on the whole process etc...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

medicmandan is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
just wondered if anyone knows the process once in australia for progression from advanced care paramedic to intensive care paramedic? time scales and what you have to do? i am just a little concerned with my skills dropping off because obviously, as a paramedic here in the U.K. we can do most of the procedures and give most of the drugs etc. that an ICP in Oz can give and going over as an ACP, i would not be allowed to practice these.

on the other hand, would be getting roughly the same money as here for alot less responsibility and then when i DO get the responsibility back as an ICP, they pay you for the privilege and make it worth your while, unlike here

any thoughts or experiences would be welcomed to help with my decision on whether to take the plunge down under!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

pommie girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andyms

Kind regards
Andy
Hi Andy, Dont fret and go for it, I am a tech, nudging 45 and on the course for april. You have plenty of time, they will pay for your visa until you are 45yrs. I started this process last feb, interviewed march and as I have already said start my course in april over there. I have done 3 years on the road ae including my first year as a trainee. When I first started this process I was the only tech going for it but at interview in london there were a few others. The way I see it there is nothing in the uk for us, as tech we are redundant. I have also managed to get leave of abscence, just in case it doesnt work out. If I can help shout or pm me
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by medicmandan
hi all,
on the other hand, would be getting roughly the same money as here for alot less responsibility and then when i DO get the responsibility back as an ICP, they pay you for the privilege and make it worth your while, unlike here

any thoughts or experiences would be welcomed to help with my decision on whether to take the plunge down under!!
What makes you think you get the same money in Australia as you do in UK?
You really need to look at it alittle more if you think that!! It's alot less here than UK I'm afraid! My hubby is a UK paramedic working for QAS for 2 years now, he would earn alot more in the UK, also Job much better in the UK but we love the lifestyle and would never go back to the Uk for job reasons.
Marie
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neil&momo
What makes you think you get the same money in Australia as you do in UK?
You really need to look at it alittle more if you think that!! It's alot less here than UK I'm afraid! My hubby is a UK paramedic working for QAS for 2 years now, he would earn alot more in the UK, also Job much better in the UK but we love the lifestyle and would never go back to the Uk for job reasons.
Marie
forgive me for thinking that the figures quoted on queensland ambulance service website might actually be correct!!
on there it documents average gross salary for advanced care paramedic as $73,729 (about £33,848 at todays exchange rate) and for ICP it quotes $81,837 (about £37,563).
don't know who your husband worked for, i.e., if he worked privately, but as a state registered paramedic here in the U.K. working for an N.H.S. trust, i currently earn about £31,500 and that includes unsocial hours benefits of 25%!!!! my salary before enhancements is £25,800!!!
that is why i said the money would be about the same if not better.
as a SR paramedic here, i have the same (roughly) skills and drugs range as an aussie ICP according to the website information yet am paid (based on their figures) £6,000 less per annum
obviously you are already there, maybe you could give me the correct wage figures as my research has obviously led to untruths.
look forward to hearing back
what are the big differences in the job if you don't mind me asking? morale here is so low at present, i can't comprehend anywhere else being worse

danny
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

forgive me for thinking that the figures quoted on queensland ambulance service website might actually be correct!!
on there it documents average gross salary for advanced care paramedic as $73,729 (about £33,848 at todays exchange rate) and for ICP it quotes $81,837 (about £37,563).
don't know who your husband worked for, i.e., if he worked privately, but as a state registered paramedic here in the U.K. working for an N.H.S. trust, i currently earn about £31,500 and that includes unsocial hours benefits of 25%!!!! my salary before enhancements is £25,800!!!
that is why i said the money would be about the same if not better.
as a SR paramedic here, i have the same (roughly) skills and drugs range as an aussie ICP according to the website information yet am paid (based on their figures) £6,000 less per annum
obviously you are already there, maybe you could give me the correct wage figures as my research has obviously led to untruths.
look forward to hearing back
what are the big differences in the job if you don't mind me asking? morale here is so low at present, i can't comprehend anywhere else being worse

danny
Hi Danny,
I suppose it's not too far off! My OH earnt last tax year (ending June 2007) $64832. Just short of $8000 less than quoted so not too bad! That was with a few OT shifts though and lot's of penalties. He hardly ever gets home on time! He's an ACP.
Also you will not come in as an ICP, they will only give you ACP. It takes alot of work to get to ICP before they will accept you. Unless things are going to change which we haven't heard about as yet! So majority of UK Para's that are here are saying stuff it I'm staying as I am! I actually only know 1 UK para that has got ICP and he worked really hard for it.
The only thing I can say and my OH keeps saying, he is not here for the job it's the lifestyle. We love it here, been here 2 yrs and 4mths so far and no intentions of ever going back to live!
Work here also depends on area you work! Once in an area it's very difficult to move. The coast and Q6 appears to be the best as far as I can see and heard from others. Brisbane apparently the worst!! Also make sure you look to where you want to live before you come out here. If you have a choice that is!
Good Luck with it all.
Marie
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Hi Danny,
I suppose it's not too far off! My OH earnt last tax year (ending June 2007) $64832. Just short of $8000 less than quoted so not too bad! That was with a few OT shifts though and lot's of penalties. He hardly ever gets home on time! He's an ACP.
Also you will not come in as an ICP, they will only give you ACP. It takes alot of work to get to ICP before they will accept you. Unless things are going to change which we haven't heard about as yet! So majority of UK Para's that are here are saying stuff it I'm staying as I am! I actually only know 1 UK para that has got ICP and he worked really hard for it.
The only thing I can say and my OH keeps saying, he is not here for the job it's the lifestyle. We love it here, been here 2 yrs and 4mths so far and no intentions of ever going back to live!
Work here also depends on area you work! Once in an area it's very difficult to move. The coast and Q6 appears to be the best as far as I can see and heard from others. Brisbane apparently the worst!! Also make sure you look to where you want to live before you come out here. If you have a choice that is!
Good Luck with it all.
Marie
thanks for the info... all much appreciated... head still spinning on whether to make the jump or not
never expecting the job to be bed of roses but morale here so low, can't be much worse than here!!!
decisions..... Mmmmmmm....
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Chopper911 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info... all much appreciated... head still spinning on whether to make the jump or not
never expecting the job to be bed of roses but morale here so low, can't be much worse than here!!!
decisions..... Mmmmmmm....
I'm trying to use the old adage, you'l never know unless you try...what the worst that could happen...you come back to the sunny (read: cloudy) UK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.