British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Working Abroad by Profession (https://britishexpats.com/forum/working-abroad-profession-73/)
-   -   Move back or stay for one more year? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/working-abroad-profession-73/move-back-stay-one-more-year-896483/)

TillyUK May 8th 2017 1:25 pm

Move back or stay for one more year?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in the forum but I think you have answers to most of the things based of your experiences (personal and professional), and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I'm originally from Cyprus, living in the UK for almost 9 years (studies and work) and I'm 26 years old. Recently I have started thinking to relocate back home (weather is not really by best friend to help on my decisions). However I had a good problem that came up. Whilst looking for jobs in Cyprus, a big multinational company has offered me a job of 6 months to start asap there. On the very same day I had been offered though a permanent position in the UK within the Higher Education. Both well paid opportunities, so salary is not a factor to my decision. What I'm thinking is that, if I don't take the job here I will go to Cyprus but that will be a permanent decision and I won't come back. On the other side, if I do take this exciting opportunity even if it doesn't work my country will always be there for me to go back. Also CV wise, being on a 6 month contract and doing short terms in employment doesn't look good to an employer as far as I know.

I'd appreciate any advice...

(Confused as never before)

DigitalGhost May 9th 2017 10:35 am

Re: Move back or stay for one more year?

Originally Posted by TillyUK (Post 12247677)
Also CV wise, being on a 6 month contract and doing short terms in employment doesn't look good to an employer as far as I know.

That depends on the line of work that you're in. In some cases it doesn't matter and is exactly what a would-be employer would expect to see.

GeniB May 21st 2017 8:03 am

Originally Posted by TillyUK (Post 12247677)
Hi all,

I'm a newbie in the forum but I think you have answers to most of the things based of your experiences (personal and professional), and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I'm originally from Cyprus, living in the UK for almost 9 years (studies and work) and I'm 26 years old. Recently I have started thinking to relocate back home (weather is not really by best friend to help on my decisions). However I had a good problem that came up. Whilst looking for jobs in Cyprus, a big multinational company has offered me a job of 6 months to start asap there. On the very same day I had been offered though a permanent position in the UK within the Higher Education. Both well paid opportunities, so salary is not a factor to my decision. What I'm thinking is that, if I don't take the job here I will go to Cyprus but that will be a permanent decision and I won't come back. On the other side, if I do take this exciting opportunity even if it doesn't work my country will always be there for me to go back. Also CV wise, being on a 6 month contract and doing short terms in employment doesn't look good to an employer as far as I know.

I'd appreciate any advice...

(Confused as never before)

Hi Tilly well most people would love to have a 'problem' like yours.. Not one but two job offers... :starsmile:

I think therefore you have to re-wind back to why you wanted to return to Cyprus in the first place.. The reason for your discontent. Leave the job offers to one side for now.
Was it simple homesickness? After 9 yrs you will surely have suffered from that before I know I did on a regular basis,especially after a bad day,bad weather (it was worse than the UK in Nl at times believe me)
Is it about your future? are you single? would you be looking for someone from home in that case to share your life. Was that at the back of your mind? Was it to do with the current political climate in the UK. Brexit.? I know this has affected a Danish friend of mine who feels unwelcome in the UK now ,sadly, and is trying to persuade her Irish OH to move to Denmark
These are indeed unsettled times in the UK. However getting back to the jobs. You have been offered two. Despite there being two different contracts i don't think it will be about that. Your heart will tell you which one to go for ..Follow your heart

abralink Apr 23rd 2018 8:36 pm

If I were you, I'd choose to go Cyprus - weather is just amazing there! Not any comparison with the UK rains and cloudness... And people are much friendlier and food... Ofc I'm not a citizen myself and I was born in the north and that's my dream to go somewhere warm. :D
If to be serious - it is your life and only you can make this choice and noone else for you. Just listen what your heart says - you always know the right way, just you may be scared to accept that, but don't be. Have fun and a great life!
Best.