Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Mobile hairdressing, where do I start?

Mobile hairdressing, where do I start?

Old Oct 26th 2005, 12:47 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile hairdressing, where do I start?

Hi guys,

I've been a qualified hairdresser for 9 years and decided now that I'm finally in Oz, it may be time to go it alone. The idea is to get a part time job and work mobile around that until the business takes off, than I can pack in the day job (fingers crossed).
But where do I start? I keep trawling the net but I really don't know where to start. Has anyone set up there own mobile business? Could you give me some pointers please?

Thanks, Marie
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:46 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mobile hairdressing, where do I start?

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi guys,

I've been a qualified hairdresser for 9 years and decided now that I'm finally in Oz, it may be time to go it alone. The idea is to get a part time job and work mobile around that until the business takes off, than I can pack in the day job (fingers crossed).
But where do I start? I keep trawling the net but I really don't know where to start. Has anyone set up there own mobile business? Could you give me some pointers please?

Thanks, Marie
DURH! Let me think ,what a dumb arse question ! Honestly peeps not all hairdressers are dumb,lets answer this one for the 9 years exp stylist.
Well if you were nasty and decieptfull you could get a job and when the coast was clear you could whisper in the clients ear, or pass a phone no. or look up client records thats what 99% would do.(dont ask me what to whisper work that out please)
Or you could be honourable and build you own business like the other 1% i.e you could send out flyers.(not captain kirk) you know leaflets,you could advertise in local press,notice boards,Circulate spread the word,do exhibitions at local gatherings,But best of all you could be recomended word of mouth,that is the finest and your best ad should be your work.However if you are crap dont give up your day job ,just keep daydreaming.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Marie
So jealous by the way - still on the visa trail here
Ive been running my own mobile business now for 3 years in the UK and honestly the best way is just word of mouth. I have done the leaflets bit and to be honest, I wasnt sure who's house I was walking into and didnt feel safe so abandoned it. I started small - a few neighbours and other mums at the school and word of mouth passed me on to other clients and its going OK.
I wouldnt o ripping off other salons clients as its a sure way to get yourself fired and into all sorts of legal battles.
Hope this helps
Louise
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:19 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, im hoping to do the same when we arrive in Perth in June, can I ask do you still need to register if you only want to start with neighbours and friends???? do you need to be registered to buy products from the wholesalers? thanks all, Dawn x
Old May 4th 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

denise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi there, im hoping to do the same when we arrive in Perth in June, can I ask do you still need to register if you only want to start with neighbours and friends???? do you need to be registered to buy products from the wholesalers? thanks all, Dawn x
Hi
I'm hoping to do the same when we eventually touch down in perth, but I'm just looking for information on what you have to do, whether you have to be licensed, etc.

Denise
x
Old May 8th 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Hi There,

I'm not in Perth myself but have a hairdresser friend who is, you will have to take tests to get your license before you can work as a hairdresser there, whether in a salon or mobile.

If you do a search on the main discussion forum you should find the answer.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by denise6372
Hi
I'm hoping to do the same when we eventually touch down in perth, but I'm just looking for information on what you have to do, whether you have to be licensed, etc.

Denise
x