Mining Engineers??

Old Mar 11th 2007, 4:14 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mining Engineers??

My husbands a mining engineer and we're headed to Australia, we've already got our PR visas.

Just wondering where everyone is going and if there is any luck in the job hunting. We're coming for a month long vacation/job hunting trip in May but we could stay if he finds a job (already sold house).
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mining Engineers??

Originally Posted by comet555
My husbands a mining engineer and we're headed to Australia, we've already got our PR visas.

Just wondering where everyone is going and if there is any luck in the job hunting. We're coming for a month long vacation/job hunting trip in May but we could stay if he finds a job (already sold house).
Go to Perth - I'm sure your other half would have mutiple job offers within a week - the mining boom is still extremely strong here and will be for quite some time yet. However, it would be a fly-in, fly-out job I would imagine but an easy six figure salary.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:29 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I know Perth is booming but we're actually trying to avoid the fly in fly out situations if possible. We're going to try the Hunter Valley area in NSW first. If we don't have any luck there then we'll head to Perth.

Salary is not everything. We've arleady done 4 years in Canada in a crappy place with insane working hours (up to 100+ hours a week). So it would be nice if my husband could spend a little more time at home with our two little kids.

So if we need to we'll go to Perth. But we'll try other avenues first.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Denise Cole is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Adelaide and upper Queensland are also going off with regards to Mining... more than happy to put your details forward to some of my colleagues in those areas and see if we can get something going for you before you get here.

Look forward to hearing from you

Denise
Old Apr 28th 2007, 5:24 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Denise Cole
Hi

Adelaide and upper Queensland are also going off with regards to Mining... more than happy to put your details forward to some of my colleagues in those areas and see if we can get something going for you before you get here.

Look forward to hearing from you

Denise
Thanks Denise, I sent you an email.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Go to Perth - I'm sure your other half would have mutiple job offers within a week - the mining boom is still extremely strong here and will be for quite some time yet. However, it would be a fly-in, fly-out job I would imagine but an easy six figure salary.
We are trying to get my OH a foot in the door but not getting very far. Hes a welder and looking at going to the mines just not sure who to speak to .

Lynne
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:04 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by mick69
We are trying to get my OH a foot in the door but not getting very far. Hes a welder and looking at going to the mines just not sure who to speak to .

Lynne
I definitely can't offer any advise there. We're having enough difficulty and my husband is a mining engineer, which you would think would be easier since a mine is really the only place for him to work.

I wish you could luck though. If you find out how to get your foot in the door let us know too!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely can't offer any advise there. We're having enough difficulty and my husband is a mining engineer, which you would think would be easier since a mine is really the only place for him to work.

I wish you could luck though. If you find out how to get your foot in the door let us know too!

Don't worry I will
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

I know Perth is booming but we're actually trying to avoid the fly in fly out situations if possible. We're going to try the Hunter Valley area in NSW first. If we don't have any luck there then we'll head to Perth.

Salary is not everything. We've arleady done 4 years in Canada in a crappy place with insane working hours (up to 100+ hours a week). So it would be nice if my husband could spend a little more time at home with our two little kids.

So if we need to we'll go to Perth. But we'll try other avenues first.
I am dealing with a couple of OO's at the moment that have a need, projects have been a little slow kicking off for some reason.

Big one starting out of Adelaide so ping me a line and I'll have a chat with my contacts.

Ivan
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Im a pipefitter hoping to move to brisbane,interested in getting a list of places and agencys that deal with mines and offshore oil rig jobs,so i can apply foward my c.v. or once in australia.
Fifo also might be of interest and in queensland also.

I dont know if to apply for the pr visa or get sponsorship on my own or with help,i am starting the process of tra.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:43 am
Canuck/Aussie

Just thought I'd give a quick update now that we've settled in a little bit.

On arrival my husband was in contact with a couple of recruiters. He has just recently got a job working for a mining company in Brisbane. It's strictly an office job doing mine planning, but we may move out towards the mine in a few years.

So we've got the job and settled into a rental while we look for a house. Good luck to everyone trying to get into a mining job.

I will suggest talking to a few of the contractors in the Hunter Valley like Thiess and Roche. You're more likely to get a job with a contractor initially.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mick69

Lynne
There are employment agencies here in Mackay QLD that are always looking for welders. Mackay has no mining but support the mines west of here. Companies like Westhill Auschrome and others.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sa2oz
There are employment agencies here in Mackay QLD that are always looking for welders. Mackay has no mining but support the mines west of here. Companies like Westhill Auschrome and others.
Thanks for that but unfortunately a lot has changed since I asked that question.
Heading back to UK, thanks for your help though as if we end up being ping poms........you just never know.

Lynne
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:06 am
Just Joined

David.L is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I'd give a quick update now that we've settled in a little bit.

On arrival my husband was in contact with a couple of recruiters. He has just recently got a job working for a mining company in Brisbane. It's strictly an office job doing mine planning, but we may move out towards the mine in a few years.

So we've got the job and settled into a rental while we look for a house. Good luck to everyone trying to get into a mining job.

I will suggest talking to a few of the contractors in the Hunter Valley like Thiess and Roche. You're more likely to get a job with a contractor initially.

Hi
I am also a mining engineer with 18 years experience in opencut coal and wondered if you have any first hand experience you can pass on with regards to job hunting? Although there appears to be loads of work I cannot fathom why it seems so hard to get a job offer? I am looking for sponsorship so I suppose that works against me, but that aside I expected more positive responses than I have been getting to date.

Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:08 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by David.L
Hi
I am also a mining engineer with 18 years experience in opencut coal and wondered if you have any first hand experience you can pass on with regards to job hunting? Although there appears to be loads of work I cannot fathom why it seems so hard to get a job offer? I am looking for sponsorship so I suppose that works against me, but that aside I expected more positive responses than I have been getting to date.

Thanks
I'm afraid I can't offer much advise. We had the same difficulity while job hunting in Canada. Even after we got the visa no one would even look at my husband. Once we arrived it was a little different. He found one recruiter that showed a lot of interest and worked really hard to get him a job.

You can try contacting Nigel Long. He was my husbands recruiter. I'm not sure if he can help, but he may know of people that help sponsor employees. There was a company in Mount Isa that needed someone desperately so they might be able to sponsor you.

His email is: [email protected]

I'll do a little more digging and see what I can find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.