licence

Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:11 am
lou-lou

lou-lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: licence

Hi Lindsey,
thanks for your reply it is really encouraging to hear that the kids have settled in well mine are 12 and 14, I hope that you and your partner have made friends also although we hairdressers are a friendly bunch so i'm sure you have.
How are you finding your job and how does it compare to the job out here. My hubby is a sports coach and we are hoping that he will be able to set up a soccer school, he runs one out here aswell as coaching at foundation centres for derby county.
I am feeling that a state school will be better for my two as they seem closer to what they are used to and from the research I have done they seem very good I have heard good reports for Warnbro which school is your 15 yr old at.
Enjoy your day off we have another grey & overcast sunday here!!
Loulou
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: licence

Hi Louise

The job is going very well, the only differences are, the amount of colours we do, I work in a very small salon (3 days a week it's just me) and we do about 4 colours/foils a day and the other thing is most, in fact nearly all clients go out with their hair still wet so you don't get to see the finished article. You don't get too many weekly s & s's or b/d's, other than that eveything else is similar.

We have met some really nice people and meeting more all the time, they really are a very friendly lot out here. One thing I don't like is the amount people swear at or in front of their children so of course the kids do it too. My older two boys are horrified by it too and believe me they are no angels. I have just about tamed their mates to not swear in my house as they used to do it in front of us too, they don't now as they know they'll get shouted at or kicked out, LOL.

Tom, 15, is at Halls Head Community College and really enjoying it, he is in year 10 but when the teacher saw his sats results he suggested that Tom went straight into yr 11, I'm beginning to wish I'd said yes but my 17 yr old has gone back to school and is yr 11 so I couldn't put them together I didn't think it would be fair on the older one. H/H is a very nice school with some pretty good results.

I'm not sure about sports coaching but I'm sure your hubby won't have a problem as they really are sports mad here.

Got to go, off to work again (groan),

Lindsey
Old Mar 20th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Hiya,
do they expect us to do a perm,colour,restyle,cut n blo,set and bloke's cut in 4 hours!?
Lynn

Well at last we are here (Mandurah, WA). We have been here for 7 weeks and I have been working for 5 of them (groan). Actually it's pretty good. Yes you do need a licence to be a hairdresser here even the Aussies need one, renewed every year, (88 dollars). And you also need to do a test here, as long as you have your city and guilds certificate you will ONLY have to sit the practical which is 4 hours long and consists of a perm, a set, a restyle, a colour, a blow dry and a barber cut, but on a good note so long as you have your C&G you will be able to work as long as you do your test within 3 months, which is just as well as you have to supply your own models and I don't know that many people yet. I'm not sure of the rules for other states but this is certainly right for WA and I would think that it is similar elsewhere. My husband is an electrician and is having all sorts of problems getting his certification and he is not allowed to work until he has got it.

Going back to hairdressing for a mo' I'm on better wages here than I was in the UK too.

Good luck all, off to work now.

Lindsey[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 20th 2005, 2:50 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Hiya,
do they expect us to do a perm,colour,restyle,cut n blo,set and bloke's cut in 4 hours!?
Lynn

Well at last we are here (Mandurah, WA). We have been here for 7 weeks and I have been working for 5 of them (groan). Actually it's pretty good. Yes you do need a licence to be a hairdresser here even the Aussies need one, renewed every year, (88 dollars). And you also need to do a test here, as long as you have your city and guilds certificate you will ONLY have to sit the practical which is 4 hours long and consists of a perm, a set, a restyle, a colour, a blow dry and a barber cut, but on a good note so long as you have your C&G you will be able to work as long as you do your test within 3 months, which is just as well as you have to supply your own models and I don't know that many people yet. I'm not sure of the rules for other states but this is certainly right for WA and I would think that it is similar elsewhere. My husband is an electrician and is having all sorts of problems getting his certification and he is not allowed to work until he has got it.

Going back to hairdressing for a mo' I'm on better wages here than I was in the UK too.

Good luck all, off to work now.

Lindsey
[/QUOTE]

Hey there Lynn,
Glad things are going well for you. With regards to the licence needing to be renewed every year, do you have to sit the practical test every year or do you just renew your certificate.
Nice to know you're on better wages aswell.
Marie
Old Mar 20th 2005, 9:24 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I am working in a salon near Melbourne and have never been asked to take any test or get a licence. I did a couple of days of work where my boss watched me, she saw my certificates, all good. I shall go ask her about this though. Maybe it varies state to state??
Old May 30th 2005, 10:06 am
lou-lou

lou-lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: licence

hi Lindsey,
its been a while since I've been on this site just wondered how you are all doing and how the hairdressing is going also can you give me a rough idea of wages.
We have had our medicals so are just waiting for visas to arrive.Should find out this week if we have a buyer for the house its sounding positive so hopefully we may get out in august after all. Hope the kids have settled in well now if you get a mo i would love to hear how things are and are you still liking Mandurah
Bye for now
Louise