Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 16th 2017, 1:27 am   #1
Just Joined
 
Rebelchick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
Rebelchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income requirement in the UK

Hi! I'm thinking of taking a live-in Nanny job in Newcastle Upon Tyne and part of my salary would be room and board. The rest paid in money. Is there an income requirement to work and live in the UK. My potential employer is asking that I research this. Thanks in advance for any help!
Rebelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 1:57 am   #2
Witchy Hermit
Premium Member
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,084
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelchick View Post
Hi! I'm thinking of taking a live-in Nanny job in Newcastle Upon Tyne and part of my salary would be room and board. The rest paid in money. Is there an income requirement to work and live in the UK. My potential employer is asking that I research this. Thanks in advance for any help!
Are you on a British passport? Or do you need a visa to allow you to work in the UK? Bit more info needed really
__________________
So when you think of me do so with pride, Honour and Bravery ruled by my side.
And in your memory I will remain; I will forever be within the flame.....
Don't shed a tear for me,I stand alone. This path of destiny is all my own.
Once in the hands of fate,there is no choice, An echo on the wind,you'll hear my voice............"
Pollyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:11 am   #3
BE Enthusiast
 
vikingsail's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Nebraska by the Sea
Posts: 853
vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelchick View Post
Hi! I'm thinking of taking a live-in Nanny job in Newcastle Upon Tyne and part of my salary would be room and board. The rest paid in money. Is there an income requirement to work and live in the UK. My potential employer is asking that I research this. Thanks in advance for any help!
Plus it's a seemingly strange request for an employer to make. If they believe they are exculpating themselves in some way likely misguided.
__________________
I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity. Albert Einstein
vikingsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:32 am   #4
Just Joined
 
Rebelchick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
Rebelchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Are you on a British passport? Or do you need a visa to allow you to work in the UK? Bit more info needed really
I don't have the Visa yet. I'm trying to figure out if my pay from this particular employer will be enough to satisfy the British government's income requirements, if any. I saw a story about an Australian couple they were going to deport for not making enough money but they acquiesced and let them stay. So, I will only go for my work visa when I find out if the employer can pay me enough to keep me in England. Not sure which tier Visa to go for yet either.
Rebelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:34 am   #5
Just Joined
 
Rebelchick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
Rebelchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsail View Post
Plus it's a seemingly strange request for an employer to make. If they believe they are exculpating themselves in some way likely misguided.
There is no exculpating whatsoever. In fact we want to make sure that all work immigration requirements will be satisfied. He's asked because we don't know if there is a minimum salary requirement for him to hire with so I can stay and work for his family as a live in Nanny.
Rebelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:50 am   #6
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 42,069
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelchick View Post
I don't have the Visa yet. .....
Where are you from/ what is your nationality? .... Do you have any recent European ancestry? Irish, Italian, and Hungarian are reported to be among the most useful for acquiring a European passport that would (currently) allow you unrestricted rights to live and work in the UK.

I think some technology-related visas require you to earn £35,000 p.a. but other visas have no such minimum.

If you are aged no more than 30 then maybe a working holiday visa might be appropriate for you - it allows up to 12 months work during a 24 month period. It cannot be reissued - it is literally a once-in-a-lifetime visa.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2017 at 2:55 am.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 3:02 am   #7
Just Joined
 
Rebelchick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
Rebelchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Where are you from/ what is your nationality? .... Do you have any recent European ancestry? Irish, Italian, and Hungarian are reported to be among the most useful for acquiring a European passport that would (currently) allow you unrestricted rights to live and work in the UK.

I think some technology-related visas require you to earn £35,000 p.a. but other visas have no such minimum.

If you are aged no more than 30 then maybe a working holiday visa might be appropriate for you - it allows up to 12 months work during a 24 month period. It cannot be reissued - it is literally a once-in-a-lifetime visa.
I actually have all my ancestry in the UK and I'm 53 and I want to eventually retire and immigrate fully to the UK. I'm American of British ancestry, all English, Scottish, Irish. I have cousins in Scotland but they're distant cousins.
Rebelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 3:20 am   #8
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 42,069
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelchick View Post
I actually have all my ancestry in the UK and I'm 53 and I want to eventually retire and immigrate fully to the UK. I'm American of British ancestry, all English, Scottish, Irish. I have cousins in Scotland but they're distant cousins.
Were either of your parents born in the UK? (Scotland is part of the UK, so being "Scottish" is irrelevant for nationality purposes, as is being "English".) Or did either of them spend at least three years living in the UK before you were born? If so you are likely British already and just need to apply for a passport. Or were they a British citizen working for the British government overseas, e.g. a diplomat or in the armed forces?

Are any of your grandparents Irish? That would entitle you to an Irish passport that will likely give you unrestricted rights to live and work in the UK that will persist after Britain leaves the European Onion because Britain and Ireland have a "common travel area" that has existed since Ireland became independent.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2017 at 3:22 am.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 3:45 am   #9
Just Joined
 
Rebelchick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
Rebelchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Were either of your parents born in the UK? (Scotland is part of the UK, so being "Scottish" is irrelevant for nationality purposes, as is being "English".) Or did either of them spend at least three years living in the UK before you were born? If so you are likely British already and just need to apply for a passport. Or were they a British citizen working for the British government overseas, e.g. a diplomat or in the armed forces?

Are any of your grandparents Irish? That would entitle you to an Irish passport that will likely give you unrestricted rights to live and work in the UK that will persist after Britain leaves the European Onion because Britain and Ireland have a "common travel area" that has existed since Ireland became independent.
My great grandparents are from Ireland and England, actually from all over the UK. We are mostly a very old English family from 1100's Shropshire. Yes, I know Scotland is British as well. We in America separate English, Irish, Scottish only for genealogical purposes, i.e. like explaining our names and ancestry but we do refer to them all as British as well.
Rebelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 4:07 am   #10
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 42,069
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelchick View Post
My great grandparents are from Ireland and England, actually from all over the UK. We are mostly a very old English family from 1100's Shropshire. Yes, I know Scotland is British as well. We in America separate English, Irish, Scottish only for genealogical purposes, i.e. like explaining our names and ancestry but we do refer to them all as British as well.
Well I am sorry to say, if you have no ancestors with British or Irish nationality more recent than your great grandparents, you will likely find it very difficult to get a visa to live and work in the UK long term, or even short term.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 4:13 am   #11
Just Joined
 
Rebelchick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
Rebelchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Well I am sorry to say, if you have no ancestors with British or Irish nationality more recent than your great grandparents, you will likely find it very difficult to get a visa to live and work in the UK long term, or even short term.
Well thanks anyway, I appreciate all your help.
Rebelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 4:20 am   #12
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 42,069
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelchick View Post
Well thanks anyway, I appreciate all your help. ....
You're welcome.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 5:10 am   #13
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 4,874
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelchick View Post
I don't have the Visa yet. I'm trying to figure out if my pay from this particular employer will be enough to satisfy the British government's income requirements, if any. I saw a story about an Australian couple they were going to deport for not making enough money but they acquiesced and let them stay. So, I will only go for my work visa when I find out if the employer can pay me enough to keep me in England. Not sure which tier Visa to go for yet either.
The employer is asking about salary because he has, probably heard either that a)British citizens bringing non EU spouses into the UK need to earn a minimum salary of 18,600 GBP per annum OR there is a minimum limit for those needing work visas.

In your case you need to qualify for a work visa. That is usually the Tier 2 General visa and there are very specific salary and job specifications to qualify. The applicant needs to be earning 25K or above.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

It is also the employer who applies for the visa and they have to be a "sponsoring employer"

It is unlikely that a live in nanny would qualify for such a visa.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jan 16th 2017 at 5:15 am.
SanDiegogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:03 am   #14
Just Joined
 
Rebelchick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
Rebelchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
The employer is asking about salary because he has, probably heard either that a)British citizens bringing non EU spouses into the UK need to earn a minimum salary of 18,600 GBP per annum OR there is a minimum limit for those needing work visas.

In your case you need to qualify for a work visa. That is usually the Tier 2 General visa and there are very specific salary and job specifications to qualify. The applicant needs to be earning 25K or above.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

It is also the employer who applies for the visa and they have to be a "sponsoring employer"

It is unlikely that a live in nanny would qualify for such a visa.
Thank you I just don't understand how he would not be a sponsoring employer if he was paying me a salary and paying for my Visa and that.
Rebelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:03 am   #15
old age pensioner
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Seaton
Posts: 20,666
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelchick View Post
Thank you I just don't understand how he would not be a sponsoring employer if he was paying me a salary and paying for my Visa and that.
It will all depend on the job and whether it meets the government criteria for being able to sponsor someone, I suspect your prospective employer doesn't know anything about the requirements. I certainly would suspect that nanny will not come under those criteria.
BIP should be along at some time to give you definitive advice.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 4:20 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com