Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Are hairdressers in demand in australia

Are hairdressers in demand in australia

Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are hairdressers in demand in australia

The course is a week long, done by Austswim ( link inmy original post) and recognised all over Australia.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:58 pm
ejo
Just Joined

ejo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rozellem
Hi Jo,
got my visa a few years ago, but from what I hear hairdressing is off the list. Only way in is thru a sponsorship. Do check immigration website, I'm no expert. I earn about 40% less of what I earned in London, plus nobody tips here. I am 37 too and had my first baby last Dec, so now I work from home and it works better for me. But my husband earns well, so no stress to be a big earner. I dont know about coming over with 6 kids, phew. We have permanent residency and that means the state helps you with certain things, I dont know what you would be entitled to if you are sponsored for your job. Things are much more expensive here than we anticipated, dont know if we would ever be able to afford a house in Sydney, but we love it. The Aussies are less obsessed with climbing the ladder and collecting material stuff, they definitely have the work life balance right. Please do your homework before getting everybody's hopes up, it might be a difficult road. All the best.
thanks for replying to my message,I now know that hairdressers are off the list so I am giong over in April to go ronud as many salons as I can to see if I can get sponsership so here's praying I,ll keep you posted and if you Know of any please let me know thanks,Joanne
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Geez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rozellem
Yes Joanne, plenty of jobs but the visa options are pretty close to zero these days.
We love Irish & English hairdressers, it is harder now with Visa's and thats because hairdressing was on the shortage list and then deregulated over here relaxing the standards. What happened was all these dodgy private hairdressing schools opened for international students to qualify in a year. It worked both ways the studends use it as a way to gain residency as they never intended on working as hairdressers just wanted a way in and these colleges just wanted $$$$ and never intended on a training standed.... this distroyed the industry as Salons hiring the very few students that went into hairdressing (from dodgy college) qualified, notice there really were not trained and recruiting became a hit and miss. more of a hit to your business. Now a few years on its a massive divide, most salons are very very dodgy not paying properly with crap hairdressing standard, unable to keep staff, renting chairs out causing inhouse problems between hairdressers fighting over clients..... Or you have really good salons but they are only in higher class suburbs like Paddington, Double Bay.. those areas.. I loved hairdressing when I was in Perth its completely different over there, good boss, high level of training, honest and hard working but in Sydney its horrible.... I put the scissors down and changed career got more money and less stress. All I can say for Australia's hairdressing industry is What a shame.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Charliewilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone. New to site and v excited that I have found it! Im just wondering how aus goes for barbers? I am a nvq2 hairdresser qualified 9years ago but have spent the last five years as a barber and now manage a city centre barbers. I think I would be nervous to go back to woman's hair if barbering wasn't an option for me. I was a good hairdresser but it's been a while! Does anyone know of any barbers on gold coast or perhaps some words of comfort if I am plunged back into a salon! Thanks guys x hope your Aussie adventure is going great xxx
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Geez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charliewilson
Hi everyone. New to site and v excited that I have found it! Im just wondering how aus goes for barbers? I am a nvq2 hairdresser qualified 9years ago but have spent the last five years as a barber and now manage a city centre barbers. I think I would be nervous to go back to woman's hair if barbering wasn't an option for me. I was a good hairdresser but it's been a while! Does anyone know of any barbers on gold coast or perhaps some words of comfort if I am plunged back into a salon! Thanks guys x hope your Aussie adventure is going great xxx
Hi there, Barbers are in demand here aswell you would not find it hard at all to get work on the Gold Coast as a barber, they actually get paid more than unisex hairdressers I find, I see the jobs ads all the time as $1000 perweek but normally its rated on speed and alot do 15 min appointment. Even if you went back to a salon doing womens you would pick it up in no time, I left the industry for 9 years then went back and the hairdressers ask me colour tech questions.. nothing has changed just a heap more brands (I mean too many) however the basics are always the same.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 1:48 am
Banned

NeoGills is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Kate! it's really hard to set up here in in Australia, you need some skills to get visa easily and job too, yay!
once you got skills in many profession then you don't need to worry about it!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 3:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charliewilson
You need to start with a good read of www.immi.gov.au to see if you qualify for a visa
Old May 9th 2013, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

sereice is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how the work experience is proven? Is it references? Or?
Old May 9th 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

sereice is an unknown quantity at this point

Can working part time whilst studying count towards work experience? Can the work you do in the salons in Australia count towards your work experience?
Old May 20th 2013, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Joybell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hourly wage for 6 year hair stylist?

Hi,

I have 6 years experience and I'm currently awaiting responses from hairdressers in Australia after handing in my résumé. Just as a brief guideline I'm looking for how much per hour I should ask for/settle on? I am in Sydney.

Thanks
Joy