A good salary?

Old May 29th 2009, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Bienkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A good salary?

Hi there

I was wondering what would be considered a "good" salary in the UK? For a family of 5, only one parent working. It is so difficult to decide from South Africa what a good salary should be. I am a Social Worker with a Masters degree and I see that the most SW start at about 30 000 pounds per year. Can a family survive on that? I know it also depends on a lot of things, but it would be interesting to hear what you guys consider a fair/good salary.

Thanks
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Zephyros Aaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A good salary?

The United States Postal Service is working on a range of operating improvements, including automated tracking and new security initiatives, that could restore some of the huge volume of mail that has left the commercial airlines over the last year.

San Francisco Courier Service

Last edited by Zephyros Aaron; Aug 8th 2009 at 12:31 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A good salary?

Originally Posted by Bienkie
Hi there

I was wondering what would be considered a "good" salary in the UK? For a family of 5, only one parent working. It is so difficult to decide from South Africa what a good salary should be. I am a Social Worker with a Masters degree and I see that the most SW start at about 30 000 pounds per year. Can a family survive on that? I know it also depends on a lot of things, but it would be interesting to hear what you guys consider a fair/good salary.

Thanks
£30,000 is a good wage but not for a family of 5, or at least I do not believe so. The fact of costs such as rent/morgage, TV licence, car insurance, fuel and road tax plus plus plus every other little bit. I had a similar aamountwith my better half also working part time but we only had 2 teenage kids and found this comfortable enough. I would imagine that you will find it tight but I do not think it is impossible!