Fabricator/welder in GC

Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fabricator/welder in GC

Originally Posted by Baby75
sounds good so how many hours a week do you do and was the tax rebate from home or from Australia if you don't mind me asking how do you find welding in the heat
thanks
38hrs is a bare week and anything over that should be at least time and a half and double on sunday. Be careful as the AWA(Aus work agreement)? varies from company to company but the good thing is, if you get fed up for whatever reason you just leave as there is lots of work. My rebate was from here as its law you have to fill one every year at end of June. Amounts vary violently and its not automatic.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

My OH is a diesel fitter (Heavy Plant mechanic) but has learnt welding on the job over the last 7 years or so. Although he doesn't have any formal Quals in Welding. Would he need certifates to get a welding job in Aus?

Kerry
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:54 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by framac
38hrs is a bare week and anything over that should be at least time and a half and double on sunday. Be careful as the AWA(Aus work agreement)? varies from company to company but the good thing is, if you get fed up for whatever reason you just leave as there is lots of work. My rebate was from here as its law you have to fill one every year at end of June. Amounts vary violently and its not automatic.
so check that twice it good that this trade is in high demand makes it easier to find work how are you finding living on the wages better than home or about the same
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Hi Guys

My OH is a diesel fitter (Heavy Plant mechanic) but has learnt welding on the job over the last 7 years or so. Although he doesn't have any formal Quals in Welding. Would he need certifates to get a welding job in Aus?

Kerry
Why would he want one. Diesel fitters in higher demand than boilermakers around the coal mines of northern qld.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Why would he want one. Diesel fitters in higher demand than boilermakers around the coal mines of northern qld.
Ah you see we are off to Tas, I wouldn't be able to stand the heat on the mainland, plus love the 4 seasons. Diesel Fitters are in demand everywhere and so are Welders, its just that he was thinking of going more into welding as he enjoys that more, plus he's bought himself a welder and was kinda hoping to slowly start up his own little fabricating business. But is unsure if there are any regulations on qualifications in this field.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

so check that twice it good that this trade is in high demand makes it easier to find work how are you finding living on the wages better than home or about the same
If I go to the mines, I'll make abt $50 hr but I didnt come all the way to Aus to work away from home. I did that in Scotland and I now like my own bed every night. I find I can live quite comfortably with $25-30 and have the weekends to myself and spend it with the family. Everybody has different goals but I was dead 4 months ago and it changes your priorities slightly.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Ah you see we are off to Tas, I wouldn't be able to stand the heat on the mainland, plus love the 4 seasons. Diesel Fitters are in demand everywhere and so are Welders, its just that he was thinking of going more into welding as he enjoys that more, plus he's bought himself a welder and was kinda hoping to slowly start up his own little fabricating business. But is unsure if there are any regulations on qualifications in this field.
Is he a sadistHe enjoys welding. He obviously hasn't done much if he enjoys it. Welding is a means of making a comfortable living. Nothing more or less. Small fab shops are notoriously difficult to keep going as you can only have small contracts due to size of workforce and premises and my advice would be to stick to his trade and weld as a sideline. If it picks up, then he can maybe have a serious go at it. I'm talking from experience Kezz where I've watched a lot of mates try it and fail miserably costing them a lot of money in the process. Good luck anyway.ps. No regulations but H & S are everywhere.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Framac I just think he likes the idea of working for himself. He's fed up of being knee deep in cow shit fixing tractors and diggers!

It's not too bad in the summer but in the winter he gets pissed off coming home covered in Crap!

A side line sounds like what he was thinking of to be honest to begin with and if it took off so be it, if it doesn't then oh well never mind.

Sorry, so you don't have to have any formal Qual to do welding then?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:30 pm

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

If I go to the mines, I'll make abt $50 hr but I didnt come all the way to Aus to work away from home. I did that in Scotland and I now like my own bed every night. I find I can live quite comfortably with $25-30 and have the weekends to myself and spend it with the family. Everybody has different goals but I was dead 4 months ago and it changes your priorities slightly.
i know what you mean my oh was away for a month it was horrible and we thought of the mines our selfs he even got a job offer but we have decided we would really have to need the money in a bad way to do that as we want to spend time together as a family. i Like your attitude very positive
to me the wages sound great at even $25 dollars an hour comparing our wages to out goings over here we will be better off in Australia so roll in April its time to get the hell out of dodge
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

lucyharry is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Has anyone got an answer for my previous post?
Michelle
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lucyharry
Hi,
My hubby passed the TRA as first class welder, we had to gather A LOT of evidence, especially since he is self eployed, but luckily the application sailed through(it was 2 weeks bloody hard work to get there though, but worth it!) Just had acknowledgment of visa 136, and now we wait. We haven't got much idea about the certificate (artc???) he MAY need when/if we arrive before he commences work, can anybody give specific's please?
Thanks,
Michelle, Henk and kids............
Hi Michelle, do welders need another certificate what is the artc as far as i knew once you had your visa you can work
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks a lot, that makes life a bit easier
Michelle...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Michelle, do welders need another certificate what is the artc as far as i knew once you had your visa you can work
Michelle, been at this game fo 30 years and dont know what that is. Came here certified to the eyeballs but as usual in the welding world, I have to sit a practical welding test and pass it before I get the job.
Baby, thats the best way to think. I chased money for years and made plenty but at the end of the day you just spend it faster and on more sh**e than usual
ps. Baby where are you in Ireland
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:30 pm

Baby, thats the best way to think. I chased money for years and made plenty but at the end of the day you just spend it faster and on more sh**e than usual
ps. Baby where are you in Ireland
Thanks Framac to me i rather be happy than rolling in it and your right the more you have you spend it. burns a hole in the pocket once we are happy and comfortable ill be happy
Im from Dublin south side
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks framac,
We kind of expected that he would have to do some kind of practical test, I think he'd rather do that than have to fanny around getting certified! Hubby has also been in the game for a while, and our way of thinking is if it can get us our ticket out of here it's all been worth it, it doesn't mean he will necessarily do it forever, but in the first instance he has something to bring a wage in, right? Personally I can't stand that it's what he does, he is always grubby and I think it's not exactly healthy as a profession! On the other hand he is self employed right now and is bringing in some cracking money, but Jesus, he's puttin the hours in!!! Henk hates to be pigeonholed and for all intents and puposes he is a welder, but if you asked he would say 'boilermaker', no question. So, let's hope he can slow down and evetually get into something that floats his boat! What are you up to at the moment?
Michelle, Henk......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.