Chefs/wives Support...

Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

sal30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chefs/wives Support...

Originally Posted by Mick-12
Not sure on Canada.
I do normally 5 days.Sun,Mon off then its splits and straights the rest.But I have not worked later than 10.They all go out early and you cannot find many good places to eat after 8.30.
I only live 10mins from where I work so I'm quite lucky.
Mick
thank-you for that he works about 40 mins from our home now and alot longer when busy. have you ever regretted the move or is it one of the best things you've done i know everything isnt roses for alot of ppl but i just think overall you can get a better lifestyle sal
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

godfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud of

Where abouts on the sunshine coast are you living Mick? We are hoping to go to Caloundra, what do you think it is like in that area for sous/head chefs jobs?

My Oh is thinking he will step back to a sous chef's position and is prepared for the drop in wage, would you pm me an average sort of wage he could expect, just so we can try and budget a bit?

We are hoping to come out soon for a look around so hopefully that will give us a better idea too!

Glad you are enjoying your new life in Oz

Sara x
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:56 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure on Canada.
I do normally 5 days.Sun,Mon off then its splits and straights the rest.But I have not worked later than 10.They all go out early and you cannot find many good places to eat after 8.30.
I only live 10mins from where I work so I'm quite lucky.
Mick
Hi Mick - hope you guys have settled in! We must organise a day for us to drive up to visit!

For everyone else, we live on the Gold Coast - my hubby was a Head Chef in the UK for over 10 yrs and here could only get work as a Sous Chef. The consensus is that most Aussie establishments in this area will only look at chefs in very senior positions if you have experience of that position in Australia.... hope that makes sense.......

As Mick says, expect to work lots & lots of hours for 'not great' money and lots of split shifts. My hubby worked in various taverns & restaurants 6 days a week, working 8am to midnight on splits. However, my hubby now works for one of the large hotels on the Gold Coast and does straight 8hr or 10hr shifts, starting at 5am. We get to see much much more of him that ever before at home.

We definitely have a better quality of life here. TBH I am happy that we have the sunshine and each other - at this point that makes me happy. When I compare our life now to what it was in the UK it is unbelievable how much it has changed in the space of a year.

We pay $420 a week in rent for a lovely 3 bed home with a playroom for the kids & a pool in central/northern Gold Coast - you can get apartments and smaller homes in less desirable areas for $200-$350 a week but at the end of the day it depends on what you want and where you want to live.

It was difficult at first, TBH much more difficult that we ever imagined but over the passed few months things have got much easier. I was working here fulltime but found that I never saw our kids and was really p'ed off that I had come all the way to Australia to sit in an office with no window all day...... instead of complaining about it I took the initiative and left that job... I now work for myself. I run a web design company, a discount perfume company and also work closely with my family in a company called 'Gold Coast Smile', where we help new migrants and people 'checking out' the Gold Coast, helping them to find accommodation, arranging to meet people at the airport, and recently even working with a migration agent to assist with longterm things like visas & the TRA. In fact, Mick-12 has recently used our services. In the UK I would NEVER have had the guts to go ahead & work for myself. Its really strange - I feel empowered here.

Well, if anyone needs any help or advice just ask - I will do my best to help in anyway that I can!

Claire
x
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:09 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Mick - hope you guys have settled in! We must organise a day for us to drive up to visit!

For everyone else, we live on the Gold Coast - my hubby was a Head Chef in the UK for over 10 yrs and here could only get work as a Sous Chef. The consensus is that most Aussie establishments in this area will only look at chefs in very senior positions if you have experience of that position in Australia.... hope that makes sense.......

As Mick says, expect to work lots & lots of hours for 'not great' money and lots of split shifts. My hubby worked in various taverns & restaurants 6 days a week, working 8am to midnight on splits. However, my hubby now works for one of the large hotels on the Gold Coast and does straight 8hr or 10hr shifts, starting at 5am. We get to see much much more of him that ever before at home.

We definitely have a better quality of life here. TBH I am happy that we have the sunshine and each other - at this point that makes me happy. When I compare our life now to what it was in the UK it is unbelievable how much it has changed in the space of a year.

We pay $420 a week in rent for a lovely 3 bed home with a playroom for the kids & a pool in central/northern Gold Coast - you can get apartments and smaller homes in less desirable areas for $200-$350 a week but at the end of the day it depends on what you want and where you want to live.

It was difficult at first, TBH much more difficult that we ever imagined but over the passed few months things have got much easier. I was working here fulltime but found that I never saw our kids and was really p'ed off that I had come all the way to Australia to sit in an office with no window all day...... instead of complaining about it I took the initiative and left that job... I now work for myself. I run a web design company, a discount perfume company and also work closely with my family in a company called 'Gold Coast Smile', where we help new migrants and people 'checking out' the Gold Coast, helping them to find accommodation, arranging to meet people at the airport, and recently even working with a migration agent to assist with longterm things like visas & the TRA. In fact, Mick-12 has recently used our services. In the UK I would NEVER have had the guts to go ahead & work for myself. Its really strange - I feel empowered here.

Well, if anyone needs any help or advice just ask - I will do my best to help in anyway that I can!

Claire
x

Hi Claire long time no see How the hell are you girl! Will have to get together for a bevvie or two

Loz x
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:29 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz
Hi Claire long time no see How the hell are you girl! Will have to get together for a bevvie or two

Loz x
Hiya matey! Yes we will! Let me know when you are free!

C xxx
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by godfrey family-lets go!
Where abouts on the sunshine coast are you living Mick? We are hoping to go to Caloundra, what do you think it is like in that area for sous/head chefs jobs?

My Oh is thinking he will step back to a sous chef's position and is prepared for the drop in wage, would you pm me an average sort of wage he could expect, just so we can try and budget a bit?

We are hoping to come out soon for a look around so hopefully that will give us a better idea too!

Glad you are enjoying your new life in Oz

Sara x
Hello Godfreys!
We are now living in Mountain Creek.We were aiming for Buderim but found the school catchments didn't extend to there.The boys are in Mountain Creek School and they love it.
Caloundra isn't far away,but then again nothing is.Second Chefs will get around 45k,maybe more in private clubs.
When we moved we Stayed in Alexandra Headland in the Grand Palais.They were great and we had no problems extending our stay while we found a rental.
There are plenty of jobs,depending on which style you want.Just pm if you need any help.

Hi you going Claire?
Sorry we haven't been in touch we never seem to have many spare minute.Hope all is well with everyone ,we'll try and get together soon and have lots of beers.

Mick
Old May 5th 2007, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

godfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud of

Hello Godfreys!
We are now living in Mountain Creek.We were aiming for Buderim but found the school catchments didn't extend to there.The boys are in Mountain Creek School and they love it.
Caloundra isn't far away,but then again nothing is.Second Chefs will get around 45k,maybe more in private clubs.
When we moved we Stayed in Alexandra Headland in the Grand Palais.They were great and we had no problems extending our stay while we found a rental.
There are plenty of jobs,depending on which style you want.Just pm if you need any help.

Hi you going Claire?
Sorry we haven't been in touch we never seem to have many spare minute.Hope all is well with everyone ,we'll try and get together soon and have lots of beers.

Mick
Hi Mick

Just got back from our reccie, had a great time and loved it in the Caloundra area.

OH a bit worried that there might not be enough work there though, his back ground is more hotel and resort work, at the moment he is Head Chef at a golf resort. We had a couple of days in the Gold Coast and he wondered if there was more work there as there seemed to be more hotels where as the Sunshine Coast was more restaurants and bistro's.

Did you find it hard to find work in the area?

Amy advice would be appreciated!!

Cheers

Sara
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

adams family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mad.chef
hello there .i am also a chef . just awaiting for our meds to come. if anyone needs help just ask . all i can say is that the TRA is the hardest part. and the main visa is easy just a long wait LONG .
all the best
Dave
Hi madchef
just starting on the TRA trail and would appriciate any advice you could give
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

petereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by adams family
Hi madchef
My advice for what it's worth is give as much detail as possible in every question asked and with all statements you are asked to give. I had to do several statutory declarations, and in every one I gave as much info as possible, equipment used, foods used, types of dishes served, salary when starting and when leaving, number of chefs in the kitchen etc. etc. etc.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petereb
My advice for what it's worth is give as much detail as possible in every question asked and with all statements you are asked to give. I had to do several statutory declarations, and in every one I gave as much info as possible, equipment used, foods used, types of dishes served, salary when starting and when leaving, number of chefs in the kitchen etc. etc. etc.
thanks for the reply
how far back in your work history did you go ! I have been in this trade for twenty years.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

petereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to all

thanks for the reply
how far back in your work history did you go ! I have been in this trade for twenty years.
From the day I came into the industry, 22 years ago.......

Its daunting but I shut myself in the study, turned off the phone, and got started. Took the best part of a day

The main problem is getting in touch with old employers.

Are you doing it yourself or going through an agent ?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petereb
From the day I came into the industry, 22 years ago.......

Its daunting but I shut myself in the study, turned off the phone, and got started. Took the best part of a day

The main problem is getting in touch with old employers.

Are you doing it yourself or going through an agent ?
Im trying to do it myself to keep the fee's down ,reading these site quite alot of people have managed it ,its just knowing the depth to go into!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Im trying to do it myself to keep the fee's down ,reading these site quite alot of people have managed it ,its just knowing the depth to go into!
let me know if i can be of any assistance
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hi madchef
Hi,

Like petereb said, put in as much detail as possible for the TRA, my OH failed it the first time as he didn't think they would be as intersested in the early stuff as the later stuff and we had to redo it. We used an agent the second time but it can be done on your own.

adams family and petereb, where abouts are you headed for and what positions are you looking for. There is a mad shortage of Chefs here and madchef himself is desperate for staff. Feel free to pm us for any info etc.

Sarah
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mad.chef
Hi,

Like petereb said, put in as much detail as possible for the TRA, my OH failed it the first time as he didn't think they would be as intersested in the early stuff as the later stuff and we had to redo it. We used an agent the second time but it can be done on your own.

adams family and petereb, where abouts are you headed for and what positions are you looking for. There is a mad shortage of Chefs here and madchef himself is desperate for staff. Feel free to pm us for any info etc.

Sarah
Hi mad.chef

You have a p.m

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.