Chefs/wives Support...

Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all
Default Re: Chefs/wives Support...

Hi Nicky,

No we ve never been to any where in Oz, we are going blind and we dont know any one over there either!!! Big adventure!!
I have done lots of reading and using the net a lot to find out about the differant areas, but I suppose until we actualy get there we wont know if we like the area or not.
At least on a 136 you can go where you like and work where you want to, we did look at the sponsor route to but Ade said he didnt fancy being stuck on a sheep shearing farm in the outback for 2 years!!!!
We got out apps Ack o 17th Dec so we are now in the que for a CO.
Hope you get a good result back from TRA soon, what did they fail you on ??
Amanda
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

petereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by flowergal
Hi,

We are going to Perth too !!!!!
We being Hubby Adrian (chef) myself Amanda and son Marcus 12
Perth looks a fab place and like you said not too big a city, Iv heard Broome is lovely and hope to spend some time up there once we get over.
I like the look of a place called Rockingham south of Perth and a city in its own right.
How long you been in the trade?

Amanda
Been in the trade for 20years(blimey has it been that long !!!!), currently in Kent, and fed up with the traffic, the yobs on our streets, the rude behaviour of 95% of the population and of course the weather.
The other half is a bit nervous about getting a job, I've said she can wash pots in the kitchen but I think she wants something a little more rewarding......

We seem to be favouring Secret Harbour at the moment, saw it on 'Wanted Down Under', thought it looked just what we want although we wanted to start with something a little smaller i.e. 2 bedrooms but it seems that 4 is the minimum-oh well never mind, I see a conversion into a games room coming up.
Have you been to Aus before, we went to the east coast a few years ago and just loved the laid back way of life and the fact that chefs are not allowed to work more than so many hours in one week.
Has your other half got a job lined up or is he going to do what I am and take pot luck when we get there ? My mate in Broome said it will be VERY easy for a decent chef to get a job very quickly.
It can't come round quick enough but we are hoping to be there by June or July next year.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

hi fellow chefs - is there room for one more?
I am in the process of preparing references to take round to past employers. Everyone keeps saying it is the hardest part - i so hope they are right . I have been in the trade for over 20 years now and it seems i need references going right back then - that will be fun as half the places dont exist anymore LOL guess that will be stat decs then?
im another one heading to perth. My brother has lived there for 18 years now and i fell in love with it when i went a few years back. I am going out at easter to have a bit of a nosey into all the suburbs and job prospects/wages etc BUT i agree with what someone else just posted (sorry forgot who) my brother is of the opinion that chefs will find work very quickly. The West Australian paper is littered with adverts according to him
mandy
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daunted
hi fellow chefs - is there room for one more?
I am in the process of preparing references to take round to past employers. Everyone keeps saying it is the hardest part - i so hope they are right . I have been in the trade for over 20 years now and it seems i need references going right back then - that will be fun as half the places dont exist anymore LOL guess that will be stat decs then?
im another one heading to perth. My brother has lived there for 18 years now and i fell in love with it when i went a few years back. I am going out at easter to have a bit of a nosey into all the suburbs and job prospects/wages etc BUT i agree with what someone else just posted (sorry forgot who) my brother is of the opinion that chefs will find work very quickly. The West Australian paper is littered with adverts according to him
mandy
Hello there
i think there is plenty of room.
i have 20 years also and it was hard but i got our visa now.sounds good that your brother said there was plenty of work in perth .thats where we are going in october might do agency at first??? see when we get there.if you want any info let me know still got all the items my agency gave us.ie forms things like that.
all the best
Dave
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

petereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to all

Sounds like there's a few of us in the same boat, let's hope by the time we all get there there are some jobs still left......
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

jowest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi It looks like I'm one of the only chefs not in on this thread. My name is Jo. I am 29, Married with 2 girls aged 11, and 9. I've only been a chef for a few years compared to some of you, but long enough to qualifiy for a skilled visa. We live in Great Yarmouth at the moment. I am just in the process of making my appliaction for skills assesment too, and would welcome any help or advice that you may wish to share. Look forward to heraing from you. Jo.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaarrgh! this damned TRA is driving me nuts LOL will prob get it all done then fail the medical due to artheritis bought on by too much typing
Im waiting for references to come back in now - the ones i have so far are quite lengthy but still could have a bit more in them apparantly BUT its not easy getting past employers to do them hey? and i darent go back and ask them to change it for me
I am hoping that section 8 on the form. relevant work experience will cover any loose ends. Ive got pages and pages so far and still got 4 jobs (i think) to cover. Does anyone have a copy of thier relevant experience that i can have a nosey at? would be nice to know if i am on the right lines.
thanks
mandy
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

I kept it quite simple

Date started
Starting salary
Position
Basic responsibilities
Type of work done(larder,pastry,sauce etc.)
Equipment used
Any training done(to you or by you)
Date left
Leaving salary

My agent seems to be happy with the results, just waiting for a signed reference from my old boss who happens to be in Oz before we can submit the whole lot.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

kellymarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mad.chef
hello there .i am also a chef . just awaiting for our meds to come. if anyone needs help just ask . all i can say is that the TRA is the hardest part. and the main visa is easy just a long wait LONG .
all the best
Dave
hi there, my dad used to be in the marines as a chef, obviuly he hasnt been a chef for awhile, but would beable to do the tra, and possibly get in that way, he is 47. thanks for your time. oh sorry, he was in marine's and came out in 1989 did a year possibly as a chef, then became a bakery manager. thanks
Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Opinions please - I am trying very hard not to worry!
Below i have c&p part of an email i got from my agent. I have been catering manager for 12 months now (some hands on but not 100%). before that 8 years hands on. How do you read it? does it sound to you that my current job is gonna ruin my dreams and not show enough current experience? I cant bare to think about what i will do if that is the case

"I have no doubts that you will be successful with your application with
TRA for skills assessment as a Cook. I am concerned if at visa stage we
can establish that your current occupation is that of a Chef although
the position title is Catering Manager. It is a little tricky and case
officers would look at the position description rather than the actual
title of the position".
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really nice

Originally Posted by daunted
Opinions please - I am trying very hard not to worry!
Below i have c&p part of an email i got from my agent. I have been catering manager for 12 months now (some hands on but not 100%). before that 8 years hands on. How do you read it? does it sound to you that my current job is gonna ruin my dreams and not show enough current experience? I cant bare to think about what i will do if that is the case

"I have no doubts that you will be successful with your application with
TRA for skills assessment as a Cook. I am concerned if at visa stage we
can establish that your current occupation is that of a Chef although
the position title is Catering Manager. It is a little tricky and case
officers would look at the position description rather than the actual
title of the position".
Hi Daunted
That is part of the problem that I had as my last few jobs were all hands on catering managers. They have put me through as a cook because of this. They can't seem to understand that hands on means you are still cooking as well as everything else dealing with front of house, back of house, dealing with the customers, suppliers for everything, florists, wine etc. The agents will not change it so a cook I will have to be. As majority of the jobs are advertised as chef/cook anyway as far as I can see so I am not that worried.
Good Luck
Nicky
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tigeresswhite
Hi Daunted
That is part of the problem that I had as my last few jobs were all hands on catering managers. They have put me through as a cook because of this. They can't seem to understand that hands on means you are still cooking as well as everything else dealing with front of house, back of house, dealing with the customers, suppliers for everything, florists, wine etc. The agents will not change it so a cook I will have to be. As majority of the jobs are advertised as chef/cook anyway as far as I can see so I am not that worried.
Good Luck
Nicky
hi nicky
that isnt what they said to me - they said that i may not even be seen as a cook??? i will go as a scullery maid if it means i get in! Im dead confused now
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Sue Coleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Chefs/wives Support...

Hi Sara
I too am a chefs wife who does all the looking for the info, we have just applied through an agent so heres hoping
Hope to speak soon
Originally Posted by godfrey family-lets go!
Hi

Is there any chefs out there who are just starting out with the process? If so, thought we could make contact and support and give/receive advice along the way!!

Actually, I am cheffy's wife as he is always at work it is me that looks for all the info!!!

Look forward to hearing from anyone!

Sara x
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

godfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sue Coleman
Hi Sara
I too am a chefs wife who does all the looking for the info, we have just applied through an agent so heres hoping
Hope to speak soon
Hi Sue

Welcome to the site!! It is a bit addictive, I have found out loads of interesting stuff just by reading through the posts though!!

We lodged out application at the beginning of Feb also using an agent, so just waiting now!

Good luck and keep in touch.

Sara
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

atul2278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by godfrey family-lets go!
Hi

Is there any chefs out there who are just starting out with the process? If so, thought we could make contact and support and give/receive advice along the way!!

Actually, I am cheffy's wife as he is always at work it is me that looks for all the info!!!

Look forward to hearing from anyone!

Sara x
hi sara . pls tell me i m also a chef with 3 years diploma in hotel management but experience of 5 years 2yrs and six monts as commis and 2 yrs and six months as cdp. am i eligible , can any onne ans me ,,,, pls help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.