Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Chef Cook Qualifications Help Please

Chef Cook Qualifications Help Please

Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

DaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really nice
Default Chef Cook Qualifications Help Please

Hi,

Basically I have been in and out of catering for the past 10 years, mainly bar 5 star, Royalty etc at supervisory level but bar no matter how good you are does not seem to count for much on the immigration circuit.

As a family we would love the opportunity to immigrate to OZ or Canada perhaps and I may be offered a job here in the UK as a grill chef. I have no formal qualifications and I really would like to retrain so I have some prospects for the future.

So my question is if I worked as a grill chef are there any formal exams or courses that I could take whilst doing this job that would be give me recognised qualifications which would improve my chances of immigration. Maybe a basic chefs qualification without me retraining to become a fully fledged professional chef.

Any advice appreciated, Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

beans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chef Cook Qualifications Help Please

you could go back to college and apply for day release and get your training and papers that way. Also try not class yourself just as a grill chef it kind of says thats all you can do and im sure thats not true mate. the kitchen your in now try to move around the different sections and get to no everything on the menu and build yourself up to chef de partie status not just grill chef that and your papers will help get you to oz. I see you are based in london why not offer your services to some of the many restaurants there maybe do one day free as a trail and let them see you are passionate at what you do try make it a good restaurant as this will stand to you when you do get here!. I worked in london for marco pierre white myself. myself and family migrated to perth 2 months ago and we are loving it i am a sous chef in a busy busy restaurant here. If you go down the agent route some of these advertise that you do not need any formal training and they will still get you a visa as long as you have been working in your profession for 24 months at least. If you go this route have a look at skilled occupation lists on the oz gov website see if chefs or cooks are on there any way good look with the whole lot mate let me know if you need any thing else.