Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Can a US paramedic work in the UK?

Can a US paramedic work in the UK?

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

jp2e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can a US paramedic work in the UK?

Hello all,
I am a dual national (US/UK) and have been living in the US (Idaho) with my husband (American) for almost 10 years. We want to move back with our two children (4 & 1). He has been a wildland firefighter (10 years) and then a structure firefighter and an EMT for the last 4 years. This year he completes his paramedic training (An Associates Degree), which he has been doing while employed as a full-time Firefighter/EMT/Ambulance Driver.
I know the Paramedic profession in the UK has undergone a lot of changes in the last few years and now it's a little easier to transfer over, but does anyone here have any specific knowledge/experience of moving from US to UK as a paramedic? I know there is a company that will transfer your qualifications, but I was wondering if once that's done, how hard is it then to get a job? Do you need to have a lot of experience (he has a lot but not directly as a Paramedic as he is only just about to qualify as one).
Any help/insight would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

CJ91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a US paramedic work in the UK?

Originally Posted by jp2e
Hello all,
I am a dual national (US/UK) and have been living in the US (Idaho) with my husband (American) for almost 10 years. We want to move back with our two children (4 & 1). He has been a wildland firefighter (10 years) and then a structure firefighter and an EMT for the last 4 years. This year he completes his paramedic training (An Associates Degree), which he has been doing while employed as a full-time Firefighter/EMT/Ambulance Driver.
I know the Paramedic profession in the UK has undergone a lot of changes in the last few years and now it's a little easier to transfer over, but does anyone here have any specific knowledge/experience of moving from US to UK as a paramedic? I know there is a company that will transfer your qualifications, but I was wondering if once that's done, how hard is it then to get a job? Do you need to have a lot of experience (he has a lot but not directly as a Paramedic as he is only just about to qualify as one).
Any help/insight would be much appreciated.

With the changes that have happened to the UK ambulance service in the last few years a lot of paramedic positions are being taken by newly qualified university graduates with the new paramedic degrees, although there are still some job offers being advertised. You will need to look on the http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/ website as paramedic positions are not advertised anywhere else apart from this site.

As for how easily the qualifications are transferable I will leave that up to someone else to answer, as I am not 100% sure.

Good luck with your future decisions anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

chu082011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a US paramedic work in the UK?

Dear friends

Thank very much for reply. I like Can a US paramedic work in the UK? very much.

Very useful for me.

h
Rgs