Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Architects - Where is the hot spot to work now?

Architects - Where is the hot spot to work now?

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Architects - Where is the hot spot to work now?

Where is the hot spot to work now for architects?

Is it china or australia. Can anyone out there working abroad and their place is booming then please let me know.

Basically which country is the best place for a UK architect to work in? (please dont say the uk)
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Couture is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Architects - Where is the hot spot to work now?

Originally Posted by koolkat

Is it china or australia. Can anyone out there working abroad and their place is booming then please let me know.

Basically which country is the best place for a UK architect to work in? (please dont say the uk)
There actually isnt a great place currently. Australia is fairly well off but the problem is, as an architect, you are now part of a worldwide migration of other architects following the work so previously bouyant hotspots with plenty positions are now saturated.

Dubai is stuffed, Abu Dhabi is saturated, Qatar will be building a LOT but not for another couple of years (world cup 2022 and generally trying to do a 'Dubai'), Beijing is booming but you need Mandarin Chinese, India is booming but you wont earn much and Im told its horrible as a westerner to live there.

Really its a crap situation and will be for a couple more years until things settle down and all the out of work architects are back in work. After that, you should have the world as your playground again.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Architects - Where is the hot spot to work now?

Originally Posted by koolkat

UK must be the worst. Might be worth to pursue things in Qatar (just be aware of all architects in the UAE who are un-employed, Kuwait, Saudi, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, China (you can work there without mandarin really...depending on your level). Essentially, any newly rich petro dollar nation is good. Even Angola is meant to be booming I hear, but Portuguese might help. As for the other countries, not sure I'd move there bar China.

Afraid I won't give away my European hotspot as I am targeting it at the moment...but rest assured, it's not UK.