Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

**urgent**How to convince an overseas company to hire you?

**urgent**How to convince an overseas company to hire you?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

rtmax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default **urgent**How to convince an overseas company to hire you?

I live in Britain now and am talking with an international company about an entry-level position in Singapore. Because of the nature of this job, they say they prefer to hire locals, but as they have not found anyone suitable, they are considering hiring me from London.

The company just drop me a note to say that they hope to make a decision within a week. I really want this job-although it doesn't pay well and only offers a six-month contract initially, it seems like a stepping stone to something bigger. Can anyone suggest me a way to convince this potential employer?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:40 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: **urgent**How to convince an overseas company to hire you?

Do you have the funds to fly out there?

When I wanted to work in the US I sent my resume to 100 or so companies - not so much as a single response. I visited one of them whilst over on vacation in 2005, got chatting to the owner, and landed the job. Like you describe, the job I accepted wasn't great - but it enabled me to try out the US before I decided on whether to commit to moving here permanently. I was dating a U.S. citizen, but wasn't ready to rush in to getting married. The US job allowed us to validate our relationship - how romantic It was also cheaper than flying thousands of miles every couple of months.
The job was a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I am still close friends with the owner of that company.

The owner had my resume pinned to his office notice board. He simply didn't respond because he had no idea how to employ a foreigner. A face to face meeting was enough to give him the push to start the ball rolling.

Originally Posted by rtmax
I live in Britain now and am talking with an international company about an entry-level position in Singapore. Because of the nature of this job, they say they prefer to hire locals, but as they have not found anyone suitable, they are considering hiring me from London.

The company just drop me a note to say that they hope to make a decision within a week. I really want this job-although it doesn't pay well and only offers a six-month contract initially, it seems like a stepping stone to something bigger. Can anyone suggest me a way to convince this potential employer?

Last edited by Pony; Jan 22nd 2008 at 3:43 pm.