Reload this Page >

Yank Returning to USA

Yank Returning to USA

Old Sep 7th 2014, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Billy Baht is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yank Returning to USA

Hi!,

This may seem weird, but I'm an American returning to the USA after 11 years abroad, mostly in Thailand/SE Asia. I am relocating to Houston Texas on November 2014. I was referred to this site by Alan, from the UK who now resides in the US.

Despite the fact that I won't have to deal with US Immigration (my sympathy to all of you on that score) I will share some of your initial relocation issues: where to find affordable short term lodging; establishing residency; getting my Texas driver's license...

I've never been to Houston in my life (I'm originally from Ohio) but some of the draws for me are:

1 Access to an International airport

2 Access to the Port of Galveston- I haven't been on a cruise in a while

3 Texas has no state income tax

4 Not too far from Mexico- I could go there by bus

5 Warm weather

6 Ya gotta start some where , a guy could do worse

I won't be working so locating near an employer is not an issue. I still enjoy traveling, so I'll probably set up a 'home base' in Houston, or another city/town, and be away for part of the year. Having a secure house or apartment will be a priority. I like freedom, so I will most likely rent, but if the right real estate opportunity came along...

I will start researching the forums and learn for others experiences. If I can help others I'd be delighted to do so.

Thanks for having me, I promise to (mostly) behave

Billy Baht

Last edited by Billy Baht; Sep 7th 2014 at 4:37 am.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Dogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yank Returning to USA

Hope it works for you Billy. Keep us posted I will be interested to see how you go.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks D. Hope you are enjoying yourself in Cebu. I really enjoyed myself in the Philippines
Old Sep 7th 2014, 12:41 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Hope you are finding your way around the forum OK. You might like to pop over to the USA section of the forum and chat with others over that side of the pond.

All the best with the move
Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, will do. Hope Penang is treating you well
Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:23 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is...thank you kindly :-)
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE