Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

working in south africa

working in south africa

Old Dec 9th 2015, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

paul1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question working in south africa

hello everyone just a quick post on working in south Africa. hi my names Paul and I am looking to possibly relocate to south Africa to live and work and I have joined this group to find any information on actually putting this together can anyone advise me on moving there and what its like to find work there ? I am 47 and have been in building construction for 27 years working on new build to renovation work and refurbishment I am a qualified plasterer city and guilds , as well as a diploma in industrial painting I have covered many other trades such as brick work roofing and joinery to name but a few I am currently a working foreman on a abuilding site here in the uk . so as you can gather I have experience in many fields of building construction any info will greatly be received kind regards Paul.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 10:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in south africa

The general pattern based on what I have seen on BE is that people are leaving South Africa and it is slowly, or not so slowly, going to hell in a hand basket.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 11:00 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum

As Pulaski says....I've heard a few stories and have friends travel back and forth from there. You really need to be aware of the situation. Anyway, best way to find out (other than visiting) is to check in to the South Africa section of the forum. You can follow this link below:
South Africa - British Expats

You might also want to check the Working Abroad by Profession section here:
Working Abroad by Profession - British Expats
If you don't find what you are looking for, do use the Search Box (it's on the top right) and put in a pertinent word like...... construction..... and see what pops up.

Happy planning. Hope something works out.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 12:28 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul, welcome to BE.

You're best off posting this in the African forum as bakedbean suggests. I'm one of the mods for the African threads, and although it's quiet, there are one or two of us who lurk around in there who could offer advice and it's easier to pick up local info in the respective country pages.

As a quick response, you're going to need to check the current critical skills list which is here:http://www.dha.gov.za/images/immigra...cal_skills.pdf

I don't know if you can classify (and prove) you have the requisite experience but it's a good place to start. If not, it's going to be incredibly tough. Your other option is to either marry a South African or be employed by a UK company and then transferred. Neither are quick and / or easy.

Feel free to post in Africa and someone will be along with advice or direction.

Good luck

Ed