Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Where in Vancouver

Where in Vancouver

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:09 pm
rzl
Just Joined

rzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the rough
Default Where in Vancouver

Okay, so I know there are probably a million discussions regarding this already but I wanted to start afresh.
Moving with my family to Vancouver in the Spring.
Where is best for a family with 2 young children??????
My husband is a carpenter so his work will be all over the place and as we have 2 children it would be great to be in walking distance of a good school (preferably Catholic but I believe you have to pay for these in BC so maybe not!).
I don't even know where to start with budget but we want a 3 bed rental to start with before we discover where exactly we would like to buy.
Thinking the city would be too expensive so suburbs may be best but within easy skytrain distance of downtown.
Kitsilano sounds amazing but expensive, basically we want the best of both, plenty of outdoors but can head to the city with 30 mins.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Vancouver

Originally Posted by rzl
Okay, so I know there are probably a million discussions regarding this already but I wanted to start afresh.
My husband is a carpenter so his work will be all over the place and as we have 2 children it would be great to be in walking distance of a good school (preferably Catholic but I believe you have to pay for these in BC so maybe not!).
I don't even know where to start with budget but we want a 3 bed rental to start with before we discover where exactly we would like to buy.
Thinking the city would be too expensive so suburbs may be best but within easy skytrain distance of downtown.
Kitsilano sounds amazing but expensive, basically we want the best of both, plenty of outdoors but can head to the city with 30 mins.
Hello and welcome to BE.

As this forum is purely for introductions it would be best if you repost your questions in the Canada Forums. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...many of whom live in Vancouver...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Good luck with the move.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:26 pm
rzl
Just Joined

rzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

As this forum is purely for introductions it would be best if you repost your questions in the Canada Forums. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...many of whom live in Vancouver...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Good luck with the move.
Many thanks for your advice and apologies for my mistake, obviously far too keen to get some info to bother reading proper instructions!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rzl
Many thanks for your advice and apologies for my mistake, obviously far too keen to get some info to bother reading proper instructions!!!
No need to apologise...it gave me a chance to say hello and to give you a few links to help you find your way around the site.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:02 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:18 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi rzl

Welcome to BE.
If you haven't already, I would definitely do as Jerseygirl has suggested and pop your quesion on the Canada forum, where lots of good folks posting on there can give you a realistic rundown on all the areas worth living on or not worth living in as the case may be.
That just leaves me to say good luck on your new home and wish you happy househunting.

Dread - x
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:43 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rzl
Hello rzl,

Welcome to B.E. In as much as you asked, very quickly: Education is a provincial matter, and to my knowledge British Columbia will only fund 50% of education in the ‘Catholic School Board’. The state school board, often called the ‘Protestant Board’ for historic reasons —though the real name is the ‘Public School Board’ as in American usage— is fully funded in B.C.

Good luck with things.

Best,
Christian