Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Where to move for construction jobs/family?

Where to move for construction jobs/family?

Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Redrose2608 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to move for construction jobs/family?

Hi there,

My husband is a site manager for a construction company that works primarily with concrete structures, not residential builds. We are considering relocating as the job opportunities are not v close to us and husband is having to do a lot of travelling.

We have a one year old daughter so are keen to spend more time together as a family!

Would love some advice on where there might be some construction opportunities but also a nice environment for for families with young children? Quite willing to move anywhere!

Many thanks!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:13 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move for construction jobs/family?

Hello and welcome to the forum

I'm really not sure where to point you, as I don't know the answer to your question. I guess for the long term you need to consider schooling first, don't you. Hopefully some others will have some ideas.

I guess other consideration is family. Are you from the UK? Do you have elderly parents or relatives to think about in the future? In other words, countries like Aus and NZ are sure a long way to travel back from. Just some thoughts.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome RedRose

I know that your husband's qualifications will not give him a visa to live and work in the United States. However, you might want to look into Canada as they are more liberal with their work visas and might have a category that he would fit into.

Canada is a lovely country to live in and to raise children. My husband is from Canada and only "consents" to living in the US because he lives in a warm state without snow.

Have a go of the Canadian forum for questions on the qualifications for a visa.

Rete
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where to suggest tbh, as a Site Manage would usually have to travel a large amount no matter what country he's in! At least in the UK you have (I assume) an established support network when he's away, but if you moved abroad you wouldn't even have that. And most countries (i.e. Canada) are so much bigger than the UK that he'd be travelling further distances too.

Maybe a change of career rather than change of location if he's fed up with travelling? Save you tens of thousands of pounds too!

Sorry, not much help probably! But something to think about anyway.

Best of luck.