Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

where to go what to do.

where to go what to do.

Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

reaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nice
Default where to go what to do.

Hi all,

im currentley in the uk looking for an escape to somewhere, but where i dont know i keep looking at all these exotic places and day dreaming about living there, well personally its time to stop dreaming and start acting.

ive joined these forums to try gain an insight as to what life as an expat really is like and to maybe see if i would make the grade of packing up and going. and all going well finding out what i need to do to make myself that little bit more employable in the international field.

as it stands currentley i have no ties, no debt or assets and im still young enough to make a change towards making that first step.

well if you've managed to make it this far thank you for reading anyway

steve

Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

longingforcanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where to go what to do.

Hi Steve and welcome to the BE site!

I found myself in exactly the same situation as yourself and wanted to pack my bags and leave. However, the world is a big old place and pinpointing a location can be difficult. Do you have any ideas of where you want to set up a new life? What is it you are looking to achieve? Have you checked any cities to see if there are jobs in your remit? Of course these are just a couple of questions I asked myself before starting the process.

If you have any questions, please give us a shout. And welcome again.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

reaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nice

honestley location im still unsure of im searching around as a thread similar to my question probally exists somewhere,

ideally i would like to be out of the western developed world, ive spent time in thailand, mexico, turkey and ive met some of the most happiest people, regardless of there situation they still walk with their held up high and a smile on their face, but with that said i would also like to be somewhere where i could be acknowledged not as a tourist but as a sort of local or maybe one day respected.

ive had the odd browse on odd cities just to see what was on offer but i dont know what sort of living expenses and how to make myself employable by international standards and my qualifications are that of a normal apprentice with about 6-7 years of experience under my belt.

this is why ive joined up so i can look at other peoples situations on how they got from A to B and what hoops they have had to jump through e.t.c

or what direction to change my career into so that i have that little bit more of an edge over the next person in line.

thanks for the reply
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reaper_gfx
Hi all,

im currentley in the uk looking for an escape to somewhere, but where i dont know i keep looking at all these exotic places and day dreaming about living there, well personally its time to stop dreaming and start acting.

ive joined these forums to try gain an insight as to what life as an expat really is like and to maybe see if i would make the grade of packing up and going. and all going well finding out what i need to do to make myself that little bit more employable in the international field.

as it stands currentley i have no ties, no debt or assets and im still young enough to make a change towards making that first step.

well if you've managed to make it this far thank you for reading anyway

steve

Hi Steve...welcome to BE.

I suggest you have a look down this list and go from forum to forum...reading back through some of the old threads. If you hit on a country that takes your fancy...join in the fun and start posting.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

Please contact a moderator if you have any problems or concerns. You will see their names at the bottom right hand side of every forum index page. Mods' names are in bold print.

Please give me a shout if you need any further help. Good luck...you've got quite a lot of research to do.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

thanks jersey girl for the welcome and the info.

yup ive got alot of reading to do but hopefully i can cut down the reading by finding somewhere that intrests me and make a list and go from there,

i just dont want to come across as that person who wants everything handed on a plate so ill apologise now if i ask the typical new person questions i dare say i might have a few.

thanks

steve
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reaper_gfx
thanks jersey girl for the welcome and the info.

yup ive got alot of reading to do but hopefully i can cut down the reading by finding somewhere that intrests me and make a list and go from there,

i just dont want to come across as that person who wants everything handed on a plate so ill apologise now if i ask the typical new person questions i dare say i might have a few.

thanks

steve

OK that's good...it's always nice to see that someone has done a little research before they ask questions. The BE Wiki is a good place to find info. We also have a Search Engine which is located in the pink bar at the top of the page. I suggest you go to 'Advanced Search' and go from there. You should be able to pull up all the old relevant posts or threads...but if you have a problem give me a shout.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

The wiki, as pointed, it's a great place to start, the US section has a great link to going over the various ways of getting a visa for the US, so if you can't meet any of those requirements, at least that'll rule the US out or not.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:30 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve

Just to say Welcome to BE from me too.

Just keep on reading and all of a sudden the place you like the look of will jump out at you.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know when you find your paradise !

Dread - x