Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

where can I go with a criminal record.,

where can I go with a criminal record.,

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Andy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really nice
Default where can I go with a criminal record.,

Well as I said Some years ago I wasnt really a good boy and from 15 to 30 was well in to the wrong things, Iv had a couple of short sentances but not for drugs .The first was I had a really bad car accident and told the truth about speed and road and got 15 months for dangourous driving the second I bought 3 cars all turned out built out of stolen cars so I got 15 months for handling stolen goods that was my last offence in 1998, To date im squeeky clean with a clean licence with HGV1/2 , cpcs dumper,roller,telehandler and 360 excavotor. My wife is a ba hons degree holder in ICT and teaching at high school. Now as the rehabilitaion of offenders act is 10 years I should now be ok but I know some countrys still frown up on scum bags like me . So if I want to emmergrate and I like to go to new zealand if poss to start a better life how would I go about it or is it totally out of the question.. Thanks for taking the time to read this and Id love honest sensable replys please .
Andy
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where can I go with a criminal record

Hello and welcome to the site.

It could rule Canada out...not sure about New Zealand.

Here is the link to the main index page of our Living and Moving Abroad forum. You will see a list of sub forums which covers many countries...click on the country that appeals to you. If you ask any questions you have about immigration...you should get lots of helpful answers. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...there's lots of immigration information covering various countries in there.

You may also find the Working Abroad by Profession forum useful.

We have a team of concierges who as their name suggests, will help you navigate your way around the forums if you need help. You can find their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

Please address any problems or complaints to the forum's moderator or admin. Their names can be located at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Mods' names are in bold print and concierges' names are in standard print.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 3rd 2010 at 2:28 am. Reason: change title because threads have been merged
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:34 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where can I go with a criminal record.,

Originally Posted by Andy pandy 67
Well as I said Some years ago I wasnt really a good boy and from 15 to 30 was well in to the wrong things, Iv had a couple of short sentances but not for drugs .The first was I had a really bad car accident and told the truth about speed and road and got 15 months for dangourous driving the second I bought 3 cars all turned out built out of stolen cars so I got 15 months for handling stolen goods that was my last offence in 1998, To date im squeeky clean with a clean licence with HGV1/2 , cpcs dumper,roller,telehandler and 360 excavotor. My wife is a ba hons degree holder in ICT and teaching at high school. Now as the rehabilitaion of offenders act is 10 years I should now be ok but I know some countrys still frown up on scum bags like me . So if I want to emmergrate and I like to go to new zealand if poss to start a better life how would I go about it or is it totally out of the question.. Thanks for taking the time to read this and Id love honest sensable replys please .
Andy
Welcome to the Forum Andy, Don't forget some of the Loverly places that are right on your doorstep. France Spain and Italy are loverly places that one can move to with ease, Infractions of the past well everyone has one around here. Its a right of passage. Sw of France is a surprisingly nice place would have made a far better Middle Earth than NZ
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:20 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy Pandy

Welcome to BE.

My first advice to you would be to contact your local police headquarters Freedom Of Information department. They will advise you on what convictions are 'spent' after certain time limits have passed.
I have to be honest with you in that the handling stolen goods one is likely to be a problem for a lot of countries, although they may take a more lenient view because you have a length of time without convictions. I would phone the New Zealand consulate and ask them before you go any further.

It is very likely that any country outside of the EU will require a police certificate, and you can get this by applying to your local police force, the fee is about £30, but it will show you before you apply what convictions will show up on record. At least by getting this certificate at this stage, you are in a position to ask definitive questions when contacting consulates or embassies.

I hope this advice is helpful, and I wish you luck in making your dream happen

Dread - x
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Andy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really niceAndy pandy 67 is just really nice

Thanks for your replys.
Whilst looking at info I found out a spent conviction is 10 years from date of sentance, NZ class them from 5 years from final so if you get a £1000 fine its 5 yrs from when you pay it off, Prison sentances under 2.5 years abide by this rule whilst over the 2.5 there carried for life. So basically it says I dont need to disclose them. Hmm maybe I should just get a divorce and go marry an Aussie chick , lol
I cant do anything yet as my daughter has GCSE's and like her mum she is a real smarte and predicted 13 A starrs, so I cant afford to mess that up for her as her education has to be a priority..
Thanks all and its raining in manchester at 4am (why am I not in bed yet?)

ok night all
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replys.
Whilst looking at info I found out a spent conviction is 10 years from date of sentance, NZ class them from 5 years from final so if you get a £1000 fine its 5 yrs from when you pay it off, Prison sentances under 2.5 years abide by this rule whilst over the 2.5 there carried for life. So basically it says I dont need to disclose them. Hmm maybe I should just get a divorce and go marry an Aussie chick , lol
I cant do anything yet as my daughter has GCSE's and like her mum she is a real smarte and predicted 13 A starrs, so I cant afford to mess that up for her as her education has to be a priority..

ok night all
About the 'spent conviction'...it may be spent as far as the UK authorities are concerned...but it may not be the case with regards to the country you're interested in moving to. Best to check it out before you proceed.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:42 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replys.

ok night all

Hi Andy Pandy

I have checked today and you will definitely need a police certificate for New Zealand, even just for a visit exceeding one month.

Hope this helps

Dread - x
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Why is it so hard may be I should just marry an Aussie bird, lol.
To think 100 years ago I could or would of gone for free under the transportation of criminals act...
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

To think 100 years ago I could or would of gone for free under the transportation of criminals act...
You will still need a police check even if you marry an Australian. And you should be aware that for migration purposes no offence is ever "spent"- they must all be declared, even if they don't actually count against you.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:16 pm

So ironic don't you think !!!
You also need a police certificate for travelling to Australia, USA and Canada for anyone out there thinking of going to any of these.

Dread - x
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Yeah im sure you do security has to be a priority in this day and age when the world has gone mad only a lunatic is truely sane,
Wonder what the wife will do when she reads these posts and thinks im off to remarry ,?
Party Id say ,,
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

MACEFL is just really niceMACEFL is just really niceMACEFL is just really niceMACEFL is just really niceMACEFL is just really niceMACEFL is just really niceMACEFL is just really niceMACEFL is just really nice

sorry if you are easily offended, it was meant as a light hearted joke.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MACEFL
sorry if you are easily offended, it was meant as a light hearted joke.
It wasn't funny. This forum is for welcoming new members to BE...if you can't do that then please refrain from posting in this forum.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:12 pm

Yeah im sure you do security has to be a priority in this day and age when the world has gone mad only a lunatic is truely sane,
Wonder what the wife will do when she reads these posts and thinks im off to remarry ,?
Party Id say ,,

Start saving up for tthe expensive gift you will need to buy her !!!

Dread - x