Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

What do i need to do to marry my American girlfriend?

What do i need to do to marry my American girlfriend?

Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:09 am
Just Joined

pmvt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do i need to do to marry my American girlfriend?

First of all, may i say hello to all BE members. My name is Pete, and I'm a British Citizen living in the UK. My questions are as follows:
I met a beautiful lady online, and after 12 months of talking over the phone and emailing, we are due to meet for the first time in July, when i visit the US on the VWP. I intend to propose during this trip, knowing it's what both of us want.
I've read quite a few similar threads, but i'm still a little confused as to our options.
We intend to live in the US, so after we become engaged, what must i(we) do? I understand i need to return to the UK for some time, but during this period, am i not allowed to enter the US? Can she leave the US? Could we visit another country to be together while the paperwork is sorted?
Also, does it make any difference if we got married in the UK or the US as far as speeding up the green card goes?

Any help with what forms i need to apply for, and answering my questions will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do i need to do to marry my American girlfriend?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I've seen you've posted your questions in the US forums (I've moved it to the marriage based visa section, which is the best place for it), so hopefully the kind folks there will be able to help you.

Best of luck with it and congrats on the upcoming wedding!