Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone - I'm a newbie, want to work abroad

Hi everyone - I'm a newbie, want to work abroad

Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Joanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really nice
Default Hi everyone - I'm a newbie, want to work abroad

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am currently living and working in London but I really wanted to work abroad and it would be great if anyone could share any tips with me about how to make it happen.

I work in museums and archive (although have experience in the music industry so I guess you'd call my experience general creative sector). I am a qualified PRINCE2 project manager and I'd ideally like to work in the creative industries in another European country. I have very basic French and Italian language skills but I'm sure i could refresh.

My other long standing passion is international politics and I'd love to transfer into that sector but I'm not sure how to go about it as I can't afford to leave full time employment and return to study.

I'm not against moving to an English speaking country e.g Canada but I believe it is difficult as they only accept certain skills. I do have family in Canada however.

Any help that anyone can give me will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jo
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:16 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi everyone - I'm a newbie

Welcome to the forum. Well France has a pretty good Creative Arts base, As the French Government subsidises it a fair bit to keep the French Language in focus but it depends what you mean when you say "Creative"

Creative IT skills in The Film and Gaming industry would take you a fair way. But typically Londo and Soho is the European Center of the best industry really.

The Main France Forum can be found HERE Mitzyboy is the Moderator there and im the Concierge and the Canada Section can be Found HERE

iaink , christmasoompa are the Moderators, And The Aviator , AmyDavid are the Concierges over there.
Should you need a Moderator or Concierge for any other part of the Forum you can find the corresponding persons on the Forum Leaders Page

But have a trundle around the Forum talk read ask questions and im pretty sure you will get an idea where you would like to go soon enough.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Aug 6th 2010 at 11:37 am.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. Good place to come and try and find out more about immigrating. If Canada is on your list take a look though the Quick Guide to Immigrating

Lots of great folks and fun in the Canada forum if you have questions.

If you are under 30 take a look to see if you qualify for the the Bunac program.

Good luck
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:14 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum. You seem to have many options running around your head at present. Not a bad thing but it will presently seems confusing as to where you move onto next.
I hope that when you read through this forum you can make some further progress with these ideas.
Picking up on your love of international politics have you thought about working in the EU parliament or the head quarters of the EU? If so then look at this, or this.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:14 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joanne

Looks like my fellow concierges have pointed you in the right direction so that just leaves me to say Welcome to BE from me too.

You have quite a big decision to make so it may be worth spending a bit of time reading through the forums for all the countries you have mentioned, or even post some questions onto those forums, where I am sure people will be able to give you the answers you seek. This may make your decision easier as you will know where you are most likely able to gain employment in your current field.

All the best and good luck

Dread - x
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joanne H
I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am currently living and working in London but I really wanted to work abroad and it would be great if anyone could share any tips with me about how to make it happen.

I work in museums and archive (although have experience in the music industry so I guess you'd call my experience general creative sector). I am a qualified PRINCE2 project manager and I'd ideally like to work in the creative industries in another European country. I have very basic French and Italian language skills but I'm sure i could refresh.

My other long standing passion is international politics and I'd love to transfer into that sector but I'm not sure how to go about it as I can't afford to leave full time employment and return to study.

I'm not against moving to an English speaking country e.g Canada but I believe it is difficult as they only accept certain skills. I do have family in Canada however.

Any help that anyone can give me will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jo
Hi Jo...welcome to our cyber family of expats.

I think our team of concierges have just about covered everything and have provided you with the relevant links...so I just wanted to say hello.

Take a look in the BE Wiki...there's loads of information in there about moving to Canada.

Please give me a shout if you need help with anything.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Joanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really niceJoanne H is just really nice
Default Re: Hi everyone - I'm a newbie, want to work abroad

Thanks everyone for your responses and all the useful links. I'm going to make myself a busy bee and check out all these links.

I myself am signed up for this newsletter (I'm not sure if there is a place for all links/jobsites so if a concierge wants to move it to somewhere more useful please do so).

http://www.eurobrussels.com/