Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Wales to New Brunswick

Wales to New Brunswick

Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

davecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nice
Default Wales to New Brunswick

Hi BE

I would like to introduce myself . My name is Dave and I am a serving UK firefighter (fire safety compliance officer or commonly known as a desk jockey by my old watch )

I am 31 and both me and my partner (leanne) think there must be a better work/life balance than there is here in the UK?

My friend emigrated to Edmonton 2 years ago with his wife & kids and they don't regret it one bit!!

I've already started some internet research and New brunswick & moncton seems quite appealing due to is slower and more relaxed life style.

Long story short I'm considering packing up my bags & selling the house and look for a better life......this is where you all come in and I'm sure you've heard this a million times before!!!!

Is it worth it and is it what it seems???
What advice could you all offer?
What employment opportunities are there? I doubt my fire fighting qualifications are any good out there but my speciality is fire safety and I have done loads of H&S & management courses. Leanne works for the NHS as a care worker so it might be easier for her to get work??.

Any help and advice is more than welcome as to leave my career & pension behind is something that is somewhat daunting but I think it must be easier than this??? !!!!

Thanks
Dave & leanne & barney the cat
Old Sep 19th 2010, 6:16 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wales to New Brunswick

Originally Posted by davecaemelan
Hi BE

I would like to introduce myself . My name is Dave and I am a serving UK firefighter (fire safety compliance officer or commonly known as a desk jockey by my old watch )

I am 31 and both me and my partner (leanne) think there must be a better work/life balance than there is here in the UK?

My friend emigrated to Edmonton 2 years ago with his wife & kids and they don't regret it one bit!!

I've already started some internet research and New brunswick & moncton seems quite appealing due to is slower and more relaxed life style.

Long story short I'm considering packing up my bags & selling the house and look for a better life......this is where you all come in and I'm sure you've heard this a million times before!!!!

What employment opportunities are there? I doubt my fire fighting qualifications are any good out there but my speciality is fire safety and I have done loads of H&S & management courses. Leanne works for the NHS as a care worker so it might be easier for her to get work??.

Any help and advice is more than welcome as to leave my career & pension behind is something that is somewhat daunting but I think it must be easier than this??? !!!!

Thanks
Here's your starting point : http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

davecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nice

thanks tangram

I'm already on it
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davecaemelan
Hi BE

Thanks
Hi there Dave...welcome to BE. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.

I'm sorry I can't help you with firefighting jobs in Canada because I live in the US but if you click on this link it will direct you to our main Canada forum. We have a lively bunch of members posting in the Canada forums...so if you could please repost your questions there you'll probably get several helpful replies.

I'm sorry we don't have a forum specifically for firefighters but you may be interested in this forum.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will be pleased to help you find your way around.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jerseygirl

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, your help is much appreciated
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:25 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave and Leanne

I see Tanmgram and Jerseygirl have already pointed you in the direction of the Canada forum, where I ams ure you will find the answers to any questions you have.
I am sure your experience as a fire fighter and safety officer will have some place there, so just go out there and find what you seek.
That just leaves me to say Welcome to BE and good luck with your plans

Dread - x
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Hi dreadsoc,
firstly thanks for getting in touch, it's much appreciated. I do hope my experiences are of some use to somebody out there otherwise there is little point me going .

cheers
dave