Reload this Page >

Vacancy in Nigeria

Vacancy in Nigeria

Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Toonie1002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vacancy in Nigeria

Hi,

New to the forum and I am looking for some information please?
My other half has been offered a job in Nigeria but has been asked to send £200 by money transfer to a secretary in the Federal High Court of Nigeria for his Non Resident Work Permit, is this the correct procedure? His e-mail from the company has stated they will pay expenses in the processing of his immigration visa and will re imburse other expenses when he commences employment.
Another friend of ours has not had to pay anything, hence my query.

Many thanks for any feedback.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacancy in Nigeria

And your first thought wasn't that this might be a scam?

Surely any visa costs would go to the Embassy in London, if you had to tab them first.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

That was my first thought when I saw the request come through, I am almost certain it is a scam but I will find out more. We are very new to this, need to get wise to con merchants out there!!!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well welcome to BE and good luck!

This is really just a spot for intro's, I should have mentioned.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

That's the section for Africa, I have no idea how busy or how many BE folks are out in Nigeria, but you might have more luck for info posting in there
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Great, many thanks
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toonie1002
That was my first thought when I saw the request come through, I am almost certain it is a scam but I will find out more. We are very new to this, need to get wise to con merchants out there!!!
Hi and welcome to BE.

Oddly enough we have today received a notice from the US post office...advising us to beware of scams from Nigeria.

Like Bob said...best to repost your questions in the Africa forum.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, yes I have re posted, sorry, need to get used to the forum set up.

Thanks for your help again
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, yes I have re posted, sorry, need to get used to the forum set up.

Thanks for your help again

No problem...BE is a very large site to navigate around. Shout out if you have any site related problems...we are here to help.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:19 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of African relatives, many from Nigeria, wealthy too.. always trying to send me money..

I decline but one time did scam a scammer out of 50 quid...
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

Nigeria is notorious for scams. Be cautious about sending any money there or your bank account information. It's interesting and telling that your friend did not have to send money up front. If your other half did not initiate a job hunt there, then there is a very good chance that this is a scam.

Unfortunately Nigeria is not a particularly safe place to live and work these days. Look into it fully.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Mark Andrews is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

New to the forum and I am looking for some information please?
My other half has been offered a job in Nigeria but has been asked to send £200 by money transfer to a secretary in the Federal High Court of Nigeria for his Non Resident Work Permit, is this the correct procedure?
Immediately this is screaming scam to me. Are you positively sure this is a completely genuine job offer to begin with?

Nigeria unfortunately is the scam capital of the world. Very unfortunate for the many honest people living there trying to make a living on or offline but nonetheless sadly true.

Someone asking you to send a money transfer for the sum of £200, I would be extremely dubious of this. If in any doubt whatsoever, contact the embassy in London and ask for their advice what the proper procedure is.

These scammers are very clever and they prey on individuals like you in other countries. Whatever you do, do NOT be tempted to share any personal details with this person who has contacted you until such time as you can verify the truthfulness and accurateness of their offer to 'help' you.

Remember the old adage - if something sounds too good to be true it probably is. Please DO exercise extreme caution and do your due diligence before proceeding further for your own good.

Warmest regards,

Mark Andrews
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback Mark, I am almost sure it is a scam, the "Permit" looks fake and the contract is full of spelling and grammar errors. I have tried to call the Nigerian High Commission but no one picks up the call, we have decided to ignore this mail and will take more care in the future.

Thanks again

Shona
Old Mar 25th 2013, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Mark Andrews is an unknown quantity at this point

Aye it's always good to look at the spelling Shona, generally speaking Nigerian scam artists are terrible when it comes to written English. They send out thousands of these kind of communications daily via organised Internet cafes usually as part of a much bigger criminal network in the country.

Their only intention is to get through one means or another your bank account details. On the street here you take great care of your purse, wallet or handbag, this stands to good reason.

Online of course you need to be very careful to make sure the person contacting you is who they say they are. If in any doubt whatsoever, do not share your personal details with perfect strangers online unless you know your details are going to be completely safe in their hands.

Warmest regards,

Mark Andrews
Old Mar 25th 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute

Beware of scams as far as Nigerian emails are concerned and under no circumstances give your bank account détails or it will be a costly mistake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.