Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Usually how long does it take to process child first UK passport (outside appications

Usually how long does it take to process child first UK passport (outside appications

Old Jun 15th 2017, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Sri Lanka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Usually how long does it take to process child first UK passport (outside appications

Hi ,

I got twins born in the UK and at present we are in Sri Lanka, my husband holds british passport and we applied the same for my twins too.My husband went for an interview 4 weeks beforeand still they havenot recieved. At present almost 15 weeks gone since the date applied for the passport. Please share me the experience of someone who was in the same situation to get an idea about waiting time.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Usually how long does it take to process child first UK passport (outside appicat

Welcome to BE.

You've posted your question in our Welcome Inn which was designed as a vehicle where one introduces themselves and are offered small assistance to navigating our vast site.

May I suggest that you repost your question in the UK immigration and citizenship section of the Moving Back to the UK forum. http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...enship-898060/

I realize you have not asked about moving back but that is where the best information can be found for your question.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

VISOT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Usually how long does it take to process child first UK passport (outside appicat

Originally Posted by Sri Lanka
Hi ,

I got twins born in the UK and at present we are in Sri Lanka, my husband holds british passport and we applied the same for my twins too.My husband went for an interview 4 weeks beforeand still they havenot recieved. At present almost 15 weeks gone since the date applied for the passport. Please share me the experience of someone who was in the same situation to get an idea about waiting time.
Passport by Birth after 01/01/1983 in the United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland) to a parent who was a British Citizen at the time of your birth, entitles the candidate to British nationality.

This is an automatic right that occurs at the time of your birth. In other words, there is no need to apply for British Nationality - it occurs by operation of law. A final requirement is that the birth must be legitimate - unless the parent is the mother or the birth is after 01.11.2008.So basically in response to your request of info, on how long does it take to get passports for your twins.SHOULD NOT BE LONGER THAN AN AVERAGE PERSON WHO WANTS IS CHILDREN TO HAVE THE SAME PASSPORT HAS HIMSELF.NORMALLY 4 TO 6 WEEKS

Last edited by VISOT; Jun 17th 2017 at 8:28 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VISOT
Passport by Birth after 01/01/1983 in the United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland) to a parent who was a British Citizen at the time of your birth, entitles the candidate to British nationality.

This is an automatic right that occurs at the time of your birth. In other words, there is no need to apply for British Nationality - it occurs by operation of law. A final requirement is that the birth must be legitimate - unless the parent is the mother or the birth is after 01.11.2008.So basically in response to your request of info, on how long does it take to get passports for your twins.SHOULD NOT BE LONGER THAN AN AVERAGE PERSON WHO WANTS IS CHILDREN TO HAVE THE SAME PASSPORT HAS HIMSELF.NORMALLY 4 TO 6 WEEKS
It also depends on where you apply from to some extent as certain countries are known for being easy to get forged documents - the Philippines is one, so is I believe India and Pakistan. In these cases , as i understand, the documents you submit are sent back to Bangkok, I think , for them to contact the appropriate authorities and get confirmation the documents are genuine. I have heard of it taking up to 12 months in extreme cases. A friend of mine here applied for UK passports for his two kids and ended up having to take them to Manila for them and him, to have DNA tests.Took him nearly 6 months in total - and that was last year. The reason was apparently that his kids looked more Filipino than european , whereas my grandson looks more european than Filipino - spitting image of his dad - so hopefully when we apply for his UK passport later this year, it should be straightforward.
Canada already is suspicious of forged docs from Sri Lanka - Refworld | Sri Lanka: Prevalence of fraudulent National Identity Cards (NICs)
Old Jun 18th 2017, 11:18 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

So you applied for Sri Lankan but not British passports for your children before you left the UK? I suspect HMPO are understandably suspicious about such an application and they will treat it as if your children had been born in Sri Lanka. I would count on at least three to six months processing time.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
So you applied for Sri Lankan but not British passports for your children before you left the UK? I suspect HMPO are understandably suspicious about such an application and they will treat it as if your children had been born in Sri Lanka. I would count on at least three to six months processing time.
I missed that BIP! To get back to Sri Lanka the twins must have had some form of identity document. That's why you're the "Man who knows".