US Bound

Old Feb 9th 2015, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

redgiant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Bound

Just signed up although I have been lurking the boards for sometime!

My partner has recently been transferred over to the US (NYC area but it's a home based role so we could go anywhere in the US eventually) and I am making plans now to come and join her now my UK work is being a wrapped up. We're coming over from London and have visited the US many times previously for business meetings and short holidays. I've also lived abroad before South Africa, Netherlands and Saudi Arabia so know how much effort it can be moving

I have got plenty of financial/tax advice already (which was my biggest concern on a US move) and what we would be letting ourselves in for so the next stop is sorting out work for me.

I have read up that an L2 visa will allow unrestricted access to the US job market so was looking if either a contract or permanent job would be the best option for me and where best to start looking? I'm a freelance IT Project Manager and Business Analyst with 11+ years experience in many industries (Financial Services, Online Gaming/Gambling, Legal, Retail and Manufacturing to name a few mainly delivering payments, collaboration and infrastructure projects) and have been a contractor for over four years in the UK.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Bound

Is your partner your wife, as L2's are only available to spouses?

If you are not married then it's a more difficult move for you.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move!

The L2 does allow the spouse to get a EAD, once they have that, they can work.

Contract/W2, that's up to you, but tap out your LinkedIn contacts as it's a great way to find leads.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. I am tapping into my contacts now and have a few responses to look into.

Also it seems from my understanding so far that there isn't a contracting LTD company setup over in the US as it is in the UK. I will look into umbrella companies as that will provide the separation between the client and myself. This may work out to be more tax and time efficient too as I have seen that some states charge business rates for all business located in that state.

Also as health insurance costs high (£460 pm for emergency only cover but this is global cover through Bupa International so once over in the US could get US only cover from a US based provider) so will need to balance up the costs of being independent and paying for this out of pocket or permanent with the benefit of having insurance included in the employment package.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

With regard health insurance couldn't you get cover on your partner's insurance?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
With regard health insurance couldn't you get cover on your partner's insurance?
I would but I am not resident in the US yet so can't be included on her US insurance until I arrive on a visa. My trips abroad have been over 31 days so also can't take out the usual travel insurance to cover me so have to go for the more expensive international insurance option.