Reload this Page >

UK pension, Social Security and WEP

UK pension, Social Security and WEP

Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

shopper332 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK pension, Social Security and WEP

Happy New Year

(I think) It's complicated, but here goes anyway.

British citizen, born 1952, came to the USA in 1989. Have 30 years (bought some make-up years) UK state pension credits (and applied to start receiving UK pension this January) and 21 years "substantial earnings" in the USA. I have a full-time job and would like to retire when I reach 66 in January 2018.
My wife is a US citizen, born 1957. She has several years (?) social security contributions before she became a teacher. She plans on retiring in November 2018, when she will get the maximum pension from CalStrs.

Not sure what the incoming administration will do to social security, so thinking I should claim social security asap? Can my wife claim on my social security and/or UK pension? Any ideas or suggestions for the best strategy would be greatly appreciated.

I've read the forums, bought three books, visited both the UK and US pension websites (numerous times) and researched lots of other online pension/wep forums and can say, without fear of contradiction, that I am thoroughly confused.

Cheers
Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK pension, Social Security and WEP

Welcome to BE and Happy New Year

Thank you for joining and introducing yourself to us.

While you used the Welcome Inn to pose your question, you won't find the answers here but rather in the USA forum located here:

USA - British Expats

I also urge you to use the search function as this topic is a hot issue and has a long history of threads with tonnes of information. Both you and your wife are a bit young to claim full social security benefits based on your birth years but you might qualify for some. You will not qualify for medicare until you reach 65 (sometime this year?)

Please have a read of the site rules and venture into the above forum and repost your question there.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 1st 2017 at 10:10 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 9:29 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK pension, Social Security and WEP

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary