Reload this Page >

UK to NYC (hopefully!)

UK to NYC (hopefully!)

Old Oct 13th 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Kapeety is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to NYC (hopefully!)

Hi all,

I'm a girl from the south of England who's been dating a New Yorker for the past few years. I'm here mainly looking for advice about what our next step should be.

Thanks, and I'll see you on the boards.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 2:35 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NYC (hopefully!)

Hi Kapeety,

Welcome to BE. You are going to love our USA forum, it's full of people like yourself who are in the process of joining loved ones in the US, so I'm sure you will pick up lots of tips as they are all great at sharing experiences.

Also check our our Wiki as it jammed pack full of useful info.

Welcome again and I hope that you will be sticking around these virtual halls for many months and years to come
Old Oct 13th 2011, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the kind welcome, Sue! Also for the useful info and links, because I'm a complete novice at this whole visa malarkey and haven't a clue what I'm getting myself into.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 2:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapeety
Thank you for the kind welcome, Sue! Also for the useful info and links, because I'm a complete novice at this whole visa malarkey and haven't a clue what I'm getting myself into.
No worries, we've all been in your boat. Take some time to read through the wiki and the posts in the forum and you will be amazed how much stuff you will pick up. Then dive in and post in the forum if you've got questions
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both! I've been browsing the site the best part of this afternoon/evening, and I think my head's about ready to explode from the mass of information it's struggling to take in and understand - I'm apparently not the brightest button in the sewing box. I also am a little discouraged to hear the US is one of the most difficult countries to immigrate to - ah, trust me to end up falling for an American.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both! I've been browsing the site the best part of this afternoon/evening, and I think my head's about ready to explode from the mass of information it's struggling to take in and understand - I'm apparently not the brightest button in the sewing box. I also am a little discouraged to hear the US is one of the most difficult countries to immigrate to - ah, trust me to end up falling for an American.
Hello and welcome.

Falling for an American is one of the easiest ways to come to live and work in the US...as long as you marry. If you haven't already found the US Marriage Based Visa forum here is the link. If you wish to go down the marriage route...the members who post in that forum will help you out with your questions. Before you begin posting please read through the stickied threads that are posted at the top of the forum's index page.

I also suggest you take a look in the BE Wiki...there's lots of info in there.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Noorah101, Bob, Avanutria, penguinsix and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and welcome to BE...and I hear wedding bells in the near future
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

All the best Kapeety and welcome to the board Ah... wedding bells... the way to go
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again to everyone. Out of curiosity, I was browsing to see what other ways might be feasible for me to get into the States (a girl has to have a back up plan)... but yes, you're apparently a shrewd bunch who have hit the nail on the proverbial head. Wedding bells aren't a million miles away (although neither are they deafening yet).
Old Oct 15th 2011, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

kerry79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a similar position, only with a Brit boyfriend with a work visa... me, not so much! I came to the US on a 6 month travel visa, then got hitched 5 months in! 7 years on and still going strong! Best of luck to ya!
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Kapeety! Welcome to BE and don't hesitate to ask if I can help you find your way around.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

HotCoffee is on a distinguished road

Awwwwwwwwwwww, the story will sound sooooooo cute to your grand-kids! You moved all the way over here for their grand-daddy. Good luck to you both! Love is a wonderful thing and so is NYC
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HotCoffee
Awwwwwwwwwwww, the story will sound sooooooo cute to your grand-kids! You moved all the way over here for their grand-daddy. Good luck to you both! Love is a wonderful thing and so is NYC
Thank you! However, I do plan to settle into the life of "crazy cat lady" when I hit my mid-60s to 70s, and so my grandkids, if I have any, will probably be avoiding me like the plague.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

VickyMcMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing the phrase "malarkey" just made my day. Thanks!