Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

From the uk to Adelaide

From the uk to Adelaide

Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Youngmumndad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From the uk to Adelaide

We are a young couple under 30 with a baby looking to move to Adelaide my partner has family members already living out there, and we are looking into moving.
He is dead set on the move where as I am 50-50. The thought of leaving family and friends behind is very scary.
So any thoughts would be helpful.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From the uk to Adelaide

Originally Posted by Youngmumndad
We are a young couple under 30 with a baby looking to move to Adelaide my partner has family members already living out there, and we are looking into moving.
He is dead set on the move where as I am 50-50. The thought of leaving family and friends behind is very scary.
So any thoughts would be helpful.
Hi from South Australia

Whereabouts does his family live? do you think you'll move close to them?

Moving over here takes a lot of hard work, but for a lot of people it's worth it. I always think it's a lot easier when you have people here you know too.

If there's any questions you have on SA, I'll be happy to try and answer them for you.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

His family are in Hallet cove in Adelaide, and yes we are looking to move near them for support and help. We have been out there this year for a long holiday and the area is nice.
Although he is at 100% he's wants to go I am still not sure, he has his own business over here in England and I am a stay at home mother raising our 11 month old son. So for me it's worries of if we move over there and we both end up having to work to provide. That's not what I want I would like to stay a stay at home mum and enjoy the time with our son. Also my partner is the one with all the qualifications and I have limited stuff with what I can do. It's all very daunting and scary. X
Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

His family are in Hallet cove in Adelaide, and yes we are looking to move near them for support and help. We have been out there this year for a long holiday and the area is nice.
Although he is at 100% he's wants to go I am still not sure, he has his own business over here in England and I am a stay at home mother raising our 11 month old son. So for me it's worries of if we move over there and we both end up having to work to provide. That's not what I want I would like to stay a stay at home mum and enjoy the time with our son. Also my partner is the one with all the qualifications and I have limited stuff with what I can do. It's all very daunting and scary. X
Yes, it can be daunting and scary for sure. I too had no real qualifications when we got here either so know what that can be like.

I was a stay at home Mum for the first 2 years of living here - although my kids were older (youngest was 7 when we got here). It wasn't too bad, and we managed well enough. Just don't overstretch yourself is the best advice I can give you. It's very easy to get drawn into the I need everything now mindset.

Just make sure you keep talking to each other about how you feel. It can be tough on a relationship, especially if you both want different things.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks that helps! Did you have people over there to help or just friends. That's the other thing as well going over and having no friends or family. Just to have someone to talk to over there would help but because I don't it's going to be very hard. I get home sick very quick so I don't see how I would manage out there.
Thnkx for your advice though it helps a lot
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:28 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide is the most friendly place that I know.

You'll be right.

Welcome to the forum.

Alistair.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks that helps! Did you have people over there to help or just friends. That's the other thing as well going over and having no friends or family. Just to have someone to talk to over there would help but because I don't it's going to be very hard. I get home sick very quick so I don't see how I would manage out there.
Thnkx for your advice though it helps a lot
I had an Aunt out here, but I hadn't met her before.

I was really lucky, I met my best friend just 3 weeks after getting here. Mine and her daughter became mates at school, and me and Julia became friends very quickly after that.

I can't emphasise enough the importance of getting yourself out and about and making friends. I recommend you get yourself to some mother and baby groups as soon as you get over your jet lag. It really does help.

Me and my friend used to arrange meet ups with expats in Adelaide for coffee. Met some lovely friends over the years - too busy with work to do it often now though

If you need any help at all, please just let me know and I'll see what I can do
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Hi Wendy what kind of visas did you go over on. That's our dilemma at the moment.!
Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Wendy what kind of visas did you go over on. That's our dilemma at the moment.!
Permanent Visa - the skilled independent Visa.

Not sure I'd have come if we'd only been able to get a temporary one