Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Advise please, Sinking Springs PA

Advise please, Sinking Springs PA

Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Chissi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise please, Sinking Springs PA

Hi, I'm new here and would be grateful for your advice.
My husband may have the opportunity to relocate his job from the UK to Reading PA. Our oldest child will remain in the UK, we will be bringing a 15 year old and 10 year old. After some research into areas with good schools, low crime, amenities etc, and not wanting my husband to have a long commute, plus I don't drive and will be a housewife. I found sinking springs seemed to tick all those boxes.
Could anybody offer any advice, opinions and maybe an area you feel would be more suitable that we can look at.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise please, Sinking Springs PA

Welcome to BE and good luck!

This is just a spot to introduce yourself. You're best off searching and then posting in the main US forums.

Though you will have to learn to drive and drive a lot, especially if you have kids, there is just no way around that.

As for location, it's all going to depend on budget and length of commute you're willing to put up with and for schools, city-data.com and greatschools site are worth a look, but it'll be down to which street you live on, so you might want to look at the schools you are interested in and base a search around that.

Other thing to consider, with the 15 year old at least, is what you want to do about university, study in the UK and might be best for him to stay there, study in the US and have deep pockets.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Chissi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for feedback, will take those suggestions into consideration
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:59 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Outside of NYC, San Francisco and a handful of other major cities, it is very tough to live in the US and not drive. If you lived in downtown Philadelphia you might make it work, but otherwise in Pennsylvania are going to have a very tough job finding somewhere to live where you don't feel very isolated.